Haven't had many wildly successful hikes lately?

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
      Well, the doctor is in! BGT, in cooperation with Wayah Press, is pleased to
      provide three copies of Dr. Allnutt's new book _A Wildly Successful 200-Mile
      Hike_ for your reviewing pleasure.

      _A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike_ contains lessons (some medical, some
      philosophical) learned along 200 miles of the AT, and provides practical
      advice for hikers and backpackers.

      Please see the website for more details:

      http://www.wayahpress.com/bookpage/WS200M.htm

      The testing schedule is undecided, and is under discussion with the Oracle,
      but I am recommending a full test series:

      IR - Initial Report, same as always.
      FR - Actually Reading the book and applying it.
      LTR - Any Long Term benefits from the book.

      The fine print:

      The newbie limit does not apply. International testers welcome. Test plans
      will, due to the nature of the item, be brief, but should be complete. This
      is a limited time offer.

      It should be noted that Dr. Allnutt is, indeed, our own Risk - a Moderator
      here. In order to avoid ethical conflicts, all questions and issues will be
      handled by myself and in such a manner that Wayah Press is no different than
      any other manufacturer.

      Shane Steinkamp
      BGT Moderator
    • Kathy Waters
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
          Naw, he had it right. Risk is my AT trail name. Here are my hiking pages:

          http://www.imrisk.com/

          Rick/Risk

          Kathy Waters wrote:

> [...]

        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
            > It should be noted that Dr. Allnutt is, indeed, our own **** Risk **** - a
            > Moderator<br>here.
            >
            > Shane,
            >
            > Was that a Freudian slip, perhaps! <g>

            Try this: www.imrisk.com

            You tell me.

            Shane
          • Kathy Waters
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2005
              Risk & Shane,

              OK, it all becomes clear now! Congratulations, Rick, on your first publication!

              Kathy

                I could probably write an OR before the IRs are in. But I'll wait for
                the LTR information. André

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                <shane@t...> wrote:
                > Well, the doctor is in! BGT, in cooperation with Wayah Press, is
                pleased to
                > provide three copies of Dr. Allnutt's new book _A Wildly Successful
                200-Mile
                > Hike_ for your reviewing pleasure.
                >
                > _A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike_ contains lessons (some medical,
                some
                > philosophical) learned along 200 miles of the AT, and provides
                practical
                > advice for hikers and backpackers.
                <snip>
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                  <shane@t...> wrote:

                  > The testing schedule is undecided, and is under discussion with the
                  Oracle,
                  > but I am recommending a full test series:
                  >
                  > IR - Initial Report, same as always.
                  > FR - Actually Reading the book and applying it.
                  > LTR - Any Long Term benefits from the book.

                  This would be fine but as a potential tester I dont think it would be
                  easy to do a full test series. I would think one Field report would
                  be just as benifficial to the report readers and the author.

                  Coy Boy (thinking out loud)
                • Andy Mytys
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                    > <shane@t...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > The testing schedule is undecided, and is under discussion with
                    the
                    > Oracle,
                    > > but I am recommending a full test series:
                    > >
                    > > IR - Initial Report, same as always.
                    > > FR - Actually Reading the book and applying it.
                    > > LTR - Any Long Term benefits from the book.
                    >
                    > This would be fine but as a potential tester I dont think it would
                    be
                    > easy to do a full test series. I would think one Field report would
                    > be just as benifficial to the report readers and the author.
                    >
                    > Coy Boy (thinking out loud)

                    But, isn't this ALWAYS the case? In fact, if we could combine our
                    three reports into one, wouldn't that be ideal? I feel that the
                    three-report format is fine, just because it gets the information out
                    to our readers over time, rather than having to wait six months for
                    the skinny. Depending on the experience of the reader, or what
                    information they're looking for, a solid decision in terms of
                    purchasing can be made at any one of the three report phases.

                    Getting back to the test in question, depending on the content of the
                    book, a full test series, at least in my mind, might look like this:

                    IR - same as always

                    FR - actually reading the report, and then commenting on how your
                    preparation/packing for a trip has changed based on the content, and
                    how you feel about the changes

                    LTR - after implementing changes and applying lessons from the book,
                    how has your backcountry experience changed? If you've used the
                    books lessons to prepare newbies for hiking and as a benchmark for
                    setting daily goals/limits, what sort of impact has the book had in
                    terms of newbie success/limiting stresses in the field?

                    Yes, I think I'll be applying for this one!
                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                      Hi Andy, good points.

                      Actually the IR is the one I forsee having a problem with. Without
                      reading the book I wont have much to say. The book demensions and
                      weight are not that important. Some might take it hiking but I doubt
                      I would. A FR and LTR makes sence. However I'll be happy to test any
                      way deemed appropriate.

                      Coy Boy

                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@h...>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                        > Actually the IR is the one I forsee having a problem with. Without
                        > reading the book I wont have much to say. The book demensions and
                        > weight are not that important. Some might take it hiking but I doubt
                        > I would. A FR and LTR makes sence. However I'll be happy to test any
                        > way deemed appropriate.

                        For the IR, you just do the basic description. Easy as pie.

                        Shane
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                          I should have offered my suggestion. The FR would be due in 1 month.
                          This would give the reader plenty of time to read the book and
                          comment and perhaps take a few trips and comment on any help the book
                          was for said trip. LTR would follow in 4 months as always.

                          Coy Boy

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                            > I should have offered my suggestion. The FR would be due in 1 month.
                            > This would give the reader plenty of time to read the book and
                            > comment and perhaps take a few trips and comment on any help the book
                            > was for said trip. LTR would follow in 4 months as always.

                            Some folks don't read that fast...

                            Unless there is a really good reason to alter the normal schedule, why fix
                            it? ;)

                            Shane
                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                              <shane@t...> wrote:
                              > > Actually the IR is the one I forsee having a problem with. Without
                              > > reading the book I wont have much to say. The book demensions and
                              > > weight are not that important. Some might take it hiking but I doubt
                              > > I would. A FR and LTR makes sence. However I'll be happy to test any
                              > > way deemed appropriate.
                              >
                              > For the IR, you just do the basic description. Easy as pie.
                              >
                              > Shane

                              easy as pie for all you 100 wpm typers. not for us h&p typers.
                              seroiusly, no big deal either way. I was just thinking an IR would
                              serve little purpose. with a tent or sleeping bag it gets useful info
                              out to potential buyers quickly and let manufactures know of potential
                              wep site misinformation. for a book the only benifit to a quick IR
                              would be just general awarness that the book is avialable. moving the
                              FR up 1 month would help in that reguard but after having read the
                              book it would offer more insite into the book. again just my 2 cents.

                              Coy Boy
                            • Coy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                                <shane@t...> wrote:
                                > > I should have offered my suggestion. The FR would be due in 1 month.
                                > > This would give the reader plenty of time to read the book and
                                > > comment and perhaps take a few trips and comment on any help the book
                                > > was for said trip. LTR would follow in 4 months as always.
                                >
                                > Some folks don't read that fast...
                                >
                                > Unless there is a really good reason to alter the normal schedule,
                                why fix
                                > it? ;)
                                >
                                > Shane

                                Cause I like to make waves:') Does the manufacturer (Rick) have a
                                preferance?

                                Coy Boy
                              • Andy Mytys
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 2, 2005
                                  wrote:
                                  > Hi Andy, good points.
                                  >
                                  > Actually the IR is the one I forsee having a problem with. Without
                                  > reading the book I wont have much to say. The book demensions and
                                  > weight are not that important. Some might take it hiking but I
                                  > doubt I would. A FR and LTR makes sence. However I'll be happy to
                                  > test any way deemed appropriate.

                                  Think of it as you would features on a pack. From an initial glance,
                                  you may overlook parts of the text, or disagree with them. The FR
                                  and LTR might have you suddenly understanding the wisom of the book.
                                  Likewise, you might read a section and think "why didn't I think of
                                  that before," only to try it in the field and find that the
                                  suggestion might work for an AT hiker, but not for someone in the
                                  desert SW.

                                  You could also comment on overall content - how much of the book
                                  talks about concrete issues and solutions, versus a bunch of noise.
                                  For example, the author could give a brief description about knee
                                  problems, then talk about various solutions, or he could spend pages
                                  describing someones hike and their bitching about botched knees and
                                  having to take Vitamin-I, "Four every four." While not getting into
                                  the specifics of how good solutions are (field testing), you could
                                  give readers an idea of the signal to noise ratio. Some people like
                                  long nariatives, others like "just the facts."