LTR- TCK Slog Series TOPO Socks- askLarry

  • asklarry99
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      Kathy-

      I have finished my LTR on these socks (pending comments/corrections,
      of course).

      The URL for the entire report is here:
      http://tinyurl.com/2bag8v

      and the text of the LTR portion is pasted below.

      Cheers,

      -larry

      LONG-TERM REPORT
      September 3, 2007

      I have continued to wear my TOPO socks during a variety of
      activities around town, including jogging, hiking, and a lot of
      biking. I usually wear the socks by themselves, and I can report
      that they have remained comfortable over the period of the test.
      They have very good wicking function when worn by themselves, such
      that my legs down to the sock line are sweaty, but my ankles and
      feet are dry.

      I have also worn them on 2 brief outings in central Ohio as liners
      underneath wool hiking socks. On these trips, I wore sneakers as it
      was warm (70 F/20 C and up) and dry and did not cover a lot of
      miles. However, I would again report that the socks were quite
      comfortable. They did not rub and wicked away any sweat/moisture. I
      would also point out that even after working up a good sweat, the
      socks did not have an unpleasant odor. I'm not sure if this is due
      to any odor-resistance treatment, or if they keep the feet dry
      enough to prevent odor build-up.

      As the final test for the TOPO socks, I took 2 pairs as my major
      socks for a 10-day canoe trip in Canada. The weather was warm for
      the trip, between 75-90 F (24-32 C) during the day and only in the
      60's F (15-20 C) at night. The weather was mostly dry, although
      there were 2-3 days of mild rain. As I had the 2 pairs to use, I
      used 1 pair as my 'wet socks', meaning I wore them all day in the
      canoe and in the water, and the second pair as my 'dry socks', which
      I put on at night after getting off the water for the day. As we
      only got in/out of the canoe while it was in the water, this meant
      that the wet socks were truly worn wet for 8-10 hours per day, after
      which I would line dry them overnight. If there was some sun and a
      nice breeze in the evening, the wet socks would typically be dry in
      the morning when I put them on. I won't comment on the dry socks
      much, other than to reiterate that they made it through the trip
      smelling like fairly clean socks. The wet socks, despite being used
      in this fashion, retained their elasticity and comfort through the
      trip. Although they were frequently in the water, I never felt my
      feet getting cold or blisters from the wet socks. When I returned
      home, both sets of socks were thrown in the washer-can you tell from
      the photo below which were the wet socks and which the dry?

      I couldn't really either, except for the fact that some of sole of
      my boots rubbed off on the wet socks. (FYI, the 'wet socks' are on
      the left)

      Finally, let me just add a comment on durability. Over the period of
      the test, I have worn and washed one set of the socks almost weekly.
      I have not noticed a significant amount of pulling of the fibers or
      of pilling of the fabric.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, I have found the TCK TOPO socks to be of high quality and
      have gotten a lot of good use out of them. Although this concludes
      the test of this item, I plan to use these socks as my primary
      liners on future backpacking trips, and will continue to wear them
      for my everyday athletic activities.

      Things I liked about the TCK TOPO socks:

      Elastic fabric holds shape very well
      Arch support works to decrease foot fatigue.
      Excellent wicking character
      Good durability
      Asymmetric marking facilitates keeping track of right vs. left sock

      Things I disliked about the TCK TOPO socks:
      No major complaints.
      In retrospect, I'm not sure that green was a great color for me,
      since I frequently wear them without oversocks.

      This completes my test series on the TCK Slog Series TOPO socks. I
      wish to thank again the Twin Cities Knitting company for providing
      these socks for testing, and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to
      participate in the evaluation of this product.
    • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
        Larry,

        Nice report. Only a couple of edits/comments and you are good to go.

        Kathy

        On these trips, I wore sneakers as it was warm (70 F/20 C and up) and dry
        and did not cover a lot of miles.
        Edit: This is very nit-picky, but you should add "(kilometers)" after
        miles.

        I have worn and washed one set of the socks almost weekly.
        COMMENT: And the othe pair??? Are they walking around by themselves?

> [...]
        > the test of this item, I plan to use these socks as my primary
        > liners on future backpacking trips, and will continue to wear them
        > for my everyday athletic activities.
        >
        > Things I liked about the TCK TOPO socks:
        >
        > Elastic fabric holds shape very well
        > Arch support works to decrease foot fatigue.
        > Excellent wicking character
        > Good durability
        > Asymmetric marking facilitates keeping track of right vs. left sock
        >

        > Things I disliked about the TCK TOPO socks:
        > No major complaints.
        > In retrospect, I'm not sure that green was a great color for me,
        > since I frequently wear them without oversocks.
        >

        > This completes my test series on the TCK Slog Series TOPO socks. I
        > wish to thank again the Twin Cities Knitting company for providing
        > these socks for testing, and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to
        > participate in the evaluation of this product.

      • asklarry99
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2007
          Hi Kathy-

          Thanks for the edits. They have been incorporated, and the revision
          uploaded!

          -larry