LTR Tarptent Double Rainbow

  • Edward Ripley-Duggan
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2007
      My full report may be found at

      http://tinyurl.com/2jzach

      My LTR is below

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      During the long-term test period, I used the
      Double Rainbow for three overnight backpacks in
      the Catskills, to elevations up to 3500 feet
      (1070 m). Night-time temperatures ranged from
      about 60 F (16 C), generally dropping to about 50
      F (10 C) or cooler by morning, fairly typical for
      the summer months (at elevation) in the region.
      This was a very mild and mostly dry summer, and I
      experienced no precipitation during my use over
      this period. I used the tent in freestanding mode
      once, on a sensational exposed site on a rock
      shelf, on the very edge of the Catskill
      Escarpment. Other times, I pitched it using the attached guylines.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Double Rainbow has become my favorite tent,
      at least in the conditions under which it has
      been used in the six-month test period. As a
      general rule, I have had only minor issues with
      condensation using the Double Rainbow. This is
      reassuring, as condensation is always a matter of
      some concern for me with single-wall silnylon
      tents. The worst I experienced (and it wasn't by
      any means a significant problem) occcurred during
      the long-term testing period. I was camped on a
      rock shelf at a delightful east-facing site
      overlooking the Hudson Valley. The night was
      generally clear, and the tent was pitched with
      one door largely open. The beaks of the tent were
      tied off to a peg inserted in a dirt-filled crack
      on one side, and a fallen tree on the other. On
      other occasions I have used rocks with success when pegging wasn't feasible.

      In the morning both the exterior and interior of
      the walls of the tent were quite wet, as were the
      surrounding bushes. A friend who was pitched in
      nearby woods reported little or no condensation.
      In the past I have seen cloud rise from the
      valley and spill over the edge of the Escarpment.
      I'm inclined to think that something like this
      happened at some point during the night,
      affecting just the exposed area where I was camped.

      Whatever the cause, my guess is that it would
      have happened at that location no matter what
      tent I was in. It wasn't seriously inconvenient
      (and was far more than merely offset by the
      remarkably morning sunrise view). The damp didn't
      affect my sleeping bag or other effects, or not
      that I noticed. I don't feel that the problem was
      caused by, or made worse by the tent. It was most
      likely the result of my choice of site, and local weather peculiarities.

      My only significant concern, and it's a small
      one, is that the corner sleeves, designed for
      holding hiking poles in place when pitching the
      tent free-standing, did not hold up at all well
      (see Field Report for my initial comment on
      this). I asked Henry Shires for replacements a
      number of times, by both phone and e-mail, but
      nothing had arrived by the time of this report,
      some months after the first request. As a result,
      I had to use a simple replacement for the damaged
      sleeves, created by using some Kelty Triptease
      with a couple of rolling hitches tied in it (one
      to fit tightly around the hiking pole, another to
      let me tension the corner tie-outs). This worked
      extremely well, and was very stable. I believe it
      is likely to become my preferred method now that
      the test is over, given that the supplied sleeves
      appear not to be very durable.

      I can't really think of any major improvements to
      the Double Rainbow, other than better-made hiking
      pole sleeves. I have found that the Tarptent
      Double Rainbow liner is a useful addition, and I
      try to remember to carry it whenever I anticipate
      I might run into heavy rain. Though it's not
      essential, it certainly does minimize the effect
      of any splattering of condensation. This is
      something that can be a minor nuisance under
      certain circumstances, as I noted in the Field
      Report. In every other regard I feel that this is
      an exemplary tent, and I especially enjoy the
      ability to be able to pitch it freestanding,
      which has proved very useful, and has provided
      access to some stunning campsites that would otherwise have been unworkable.

      SUMMARY

      The Double Rainbow has been stable in the winds I
      have experienced, even when in freestanding mode.
      These have been occasionally quite gusty, as I've
      been in some rather exposed settings. The tent is
      extremely well vented (and can be used with the
      beaks rolled back to expose the two mesh sides if
      no rain is expected). It is quiet in wind (it
      pitches taut and I've noted only minimal flapping
      and vibration), and it is adaptable to a wide
      range of settings, from bare rock to deep forest.
      The color is such that the tent has minimal
      visual impact, which pleases me on "leave no
      trace" grounds, and it sets up and breaks down
      swiftly, without fuss. I enjoy the graceful lines
      of the Double Rainbow, and its taut pitch.

      For a tent of this size it has a pretty small
      footprint, a major plus in locations where smooth
      ground may be a limited commodity. From an
      ultralight perspective, its weight is a little
      heavier than ideal (unless used as a two-person
      shelter, which I was not able to arrange). Still,
      my take is that the features of the tent—in
      particular the free-standing ability, and the
      abundant space it offers—offset any weight
      disadvantage, at least for trips of limited
      duration. It packs easily, and (with the
      exception of the hiking pole sleeves) seems
      extremely durable, even when pitched on rock. I'm very impressed.

      CONTINUED USE

      I have every intention of continuing to use this
      as my primary shelter, in all but the months of
      true winter, or when I want a very light pack
      weight or a low pack volume. I had initially
      wondered if the free-standing ability of the tent
      might be something of a gimmick, or at least not
      a key feature, but I've found that the ability to
      pitch on rock ledges and the like has opened up a
      whole new set of campsites, ones with great
      views, which also cause minimal impact. These are
      often more exposed than the duff-covered sites I
      have normally sought out, but the tent has so far
      handled winds and rain without much ado.

      My thanks to Henry Shires and Tarptent for
      allowing me to test this fine tent. This report
      was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report
      Writer Version 1. Copyright 2007. All rights reserved. All rights reserved.
    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2007
        Ted - fine job as always. With the correction below, you're approved
        to post this. Congratulations on a great test series (with what
        sounds like an outstanding product).

        - Steve

        [EDIT FOLLOWS]

        The worst I experienced (and it wasn't by any means a significant
        problem) occcurred during the long-term testing period.
        ***EDIT: occurred

        [END OF EDITS]
      • Edward Ripley-Duggan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2007
          Thanks, Steve!

        • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
            http://tinyurl.com/2jqvs4

            Ted...

            Beautiful report! Maybe the cleanest most professionally written report
            I've seen for a long time. Excellent job!

            I did notice however that you don't have dates for the different sections
            (IR, FR, and LTR). Per the message below, each report is supposed to have
            the section titles and dates at the top. You have the titles at the top,
            but only the date for LTR. There are no dates in the actual sections
            either, so basically there is no way to see when the IR and FR were
            written.

            Please update at your earliest convenience.

            Jet

            +++++++++++++

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Black%20Diamond%20Alpine%20CF/Andrew%20Buskov/Test%20Report%20by%20Andrew%20Buskov/

            > or
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/2cg8vv
            >
            > Andrew uses a very sensible method. The Bylaws call for a date at the
            top
            > of each section. The IR, FR, LTR should all have dates. In addition,
            at
            > the top of the report, there should be a date for each section. It is
            not
            > nececary to have the bookmark hotlink like Andrew does, but that isn't
            hard
            > to do and it's nice.
            >
            > This is the way the Report Writer will do it in Version 2.
            >
            > Unfortunatley, Version 1 of the Report Writer does NOT do this, so all
            > persons using the Report Writer will be exempt from this until Version 2

            > comes out. I will probably put a hot fix up in a week or 3 once I get
            > BridGeT stable again and clear the Scheduling module. I'm a little
            behind
            > on that and I need to catch up.
            >
            > In addition, the Bylaws call for the recieved date, which is the date
            you
            > recieved the item. This is no longer required and will be dropped from
            the
            > Bylaws.
            >
            > Shane
            > BGT Moderator _______________________________________________
            > bgt_moderator mailing list
            > bgt_moderator@...
            > backpackgeartest.org

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
              Thanks, Jet,

              I've fixed the dating for the Double Rainbow and re-uploaded. I have
              done this as a matter of course for one or two of my Report Writer
              generated reports, but I know I forgot for others. It struck me a
              while ago as an essential weakness in the format, and I'm glad that it
              will be fixed. I somehow missed the message you quote!

              Best,

              Ted.

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
                Ah... I forgot to notice that you had used the report writer. That can
                earn you an exemption from the dating format. :-) Shane's message came
                out shortly after the new format was implemented... so it's from a ways
                back.

                BTW - I'm still not seeing the dates at http://tinyurl.com/2jqvs4 . I
                refreshed the screen... but they just aren't there. (Maybe you put it in
                the test folder first or something...)

                Thanks for playing nice!

                Jet

                backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 09/04/2007 09:22:14 AM:

                > Thanks, Jet,
                >
                > I've fixed the dating for the Double Rainbow and re-uploaded. I have
                > done this as a matter of course for one or two of my Report Writer
                > generated reports, but I know I forgot for others. It struck me a
                > while ago as an essential weakness in the format, and I'm glad that it
                > will be fixed. I somehow missed the message you quote!
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > Ted.
                >

                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, jetriple@... wrote:
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/2jqvs4
                > >
                > > Ted...
                > >
                > > Beautiful report! Maybe the cleanest most professionally written
                > report
                > > I've seen for a long time. Excellent job!
                > >
                > > I did notice however that you don't have dates for the different
                > sections
                > > (IR, FR, and LTR). Per the message below, each report is supposed
                > to have
                > > the section titles and dates at the top. You have the titles at the
                > top,
                > > but only the date for LTR. There are no dates in the actual sections
                > > either, so basically there is no way to see when the IR and FR were
                > > written.
                > >
                > > Please update at your earliest convenience.
                > >
                > > Jet
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • edwardripleyduggan
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
                  Exceedingly odd. I got the upload confirmation, but the report stayed
                  the same. Just re-uploaded, and it looks like it "took" now. Probably
                  operator error of some form. <g>

                  No trouble to fix, as I had the dates handy.