LTR - TCK Slog Series Topo Socks - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      Kathleen, et al:

      Here is my LTR on the TCK Slog Series Topo socks. I have posted the HTML file in the TEST folder for your review as well. You can access it via this link: http://snipurl.com/1q6sm

      Please pardon any Yahooisms. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. Ryan

      LONG TERM REPORT
      August 31, 2007

      I wore the TCK Slog Series Topo socks on a weeklong backpacking trip into the Wind River Range from July 30 - August 4, 2007. The Wind River Range is a remote hundred-mile range that stretches through Wyoming along the crest of the Continental Divide. Peakbagger.com states, “The Wind River Range is quite possibly the single most dominant range of the hundred or so that make up the Rockies in the United States. Exceptionally long, wide, high, rugged, and remote, the Winds (as they are affectionately known) are little known outside of the hiking and mountaineering communities, but to many they are clearly the quintessential Rocky mountain range.” Much of our hiking was above 10,000 ft (3,048 m) in elevation. We hiked fifty miles (80 km) over six days on this BSA High Adventure. We had rain four of the six days we were in the Winds. I always wear two pair of socks when backpacking. Therefore, I do not know what I was thinking, as I started this trip, carrying a 50 lb (23 kg)
      pack, wearing only a single pair of medium-weight merino wool socks. After a few miles, I began developing hot spots. I should have treated them at once, but did not. I proceeded on only to develop some ugly blisters after a few more miles. This forced me to treat my feet. I applied Moleskin and duct tape to the blistered areas. In addition, I donned the Topos under the merino wool socks I had been wearing. My blisters did not worsen as we continued to our destination for the day. Because TCK sent me two pair of the Topo socks, I was able to wear a pair each day thereafter on the trip (washing one pair in the lake each day.) As stated above, on this trip, we hiked 50 mi (80 km) over varied terrain; gaining and losing elevation, climbing over rocks and downed trees, and my blisters did not worsen during the balance of the trip. Consequently, I was very pleased with how well the Topo socks as a base layer on this multi-day hike.

      Roughly two weeks after my trip to the Wind River Range, I wore the Topo sock and a medium-weight merino wool hiking sock on an overnight backpacking trip into Idaho's Copper Basin. Based on forecasted thunderstorms, we debated whether to go ahead with this outing. We decided to go, and the weather cooperated on our way in. My pack weighed approximately 35 lb (16 kg). We hiked approximately 4 mi (6.4 km) and gained approximately 4,000 ft (1,219 m) until we reached our campsite. We then hiked another 0.5 mi (0.8 km) and gained another 150+ ft (46 m) as we hiked to Baptie Lake. We awoke the next morning at 6:00 a.m. to thunder, lighting, hail and then rain at 10,000 ft (3,048 m). Although my feet were still tender from the Wind River trip two weeks earlier, the Topo sock performed nicely on this outing. I did not develop new blisters on the way up or as we quickly descended the 4,000 ft (1,219 m) to avoid encounters with lightning. Thus, I was quite happy with the Topos on
      this hike.

      I have worn the TCK Slog Series Topo socks more than twenty different days. During the test period I learned that I can wear the Topo alone when biking or walking around town, but I need an additional layer when hiking or backpacking. After learning that for me the Topo works best for me as a base layer, I have been very please with these socks. They have held up extremely well, no loose thread, wear spots, pilling, or fading. Consequently, I would recommend these Polypropylene socks to anyone looking for a moisture-wicking base-layer sock.

      Ryan L. Christensen
      E-mail: mailto:bigdawgryan@...

      "Excellence is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2007
        Ryan,

        I have just two edits for you. Thanks for working with me on this test. A
        pleasure.

        Kathy

        Peakbagger.com states, "The Wind River Range is quite possibly the single
        most dominant range of the hundred or so that make up the Rockies in the
        United States. Exceptionally long, wide, high, rugged, and remote, the Winds
        (as they are affectionately known) are little known outside of the hiking
        and mountaineering communities, but to many they are clearly the
        quintessential Rocky mountain range."
        Edit: I found this quote to be interesting, and personally would let it
        stand. However, it really isn't relevant to the report and "others" might
        have issues with it.

        Consequently, I was very pleased with how well the Topo socks as a base
        layer on this multi-day hike.
        EDIT: Think you missed a word here. "...how well the Topo socks
        WORKED..."?

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.eset.com
      • Ryan L. Christensen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2007
          Kathy, et al:

          I have incorporated your comments and have uploaded the final LTR in
          the appropriate folder. I have also deleted my file from the test folder.

          Thanks again for your assistance with this test. Thanks to TTwin City
          Knitting Company, Inc. (TCK) and BGT for the opportunity to test the
          Slog Series Topo socks.

          Ryan
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2007