FR - GCB Buzz Off Insect Repellent - amytys

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 9:07 AM
      My FR for the BuzzOff Insect Repellent can be found here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20GCB%
      20Buzz%20Off%20Insect%20Repellent%20-%20amytys/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/2akeez

      Sorry for being a few days late - I've been putting in 14 hour days
      at work - time to find another job, for sure!

      Field/Long-Term Report:

      My methodology for testing the Buzz-Off Insect Repellent was to first
      walk into the woods and find the bugs. Once I confirmed that
      mosquitoes were actually about and biting, I would rush off into a
      sunny area and, before the mosquitoes found me, apply the repellant.
      I walked through thick dark woods, swampy areas, across low-lying
      muddy trail, and everything in between. Outside of a couple of hikes,
      there were no buzzing mosquitoes to be found. I looked for bugs in
      the morning, afternoon, and evening hours - NOTHING!

      I've had to opportunity to do quite a bit of dayhiking this summer,
      and have also done some backpacking/trail maintenance on the section
      of the North Country Trail that I maintain in western Michigan.
      Unfortunately for this test, we've had some unusual summer
      conditions. Dry weather and low levels of humidity combined in a
      manner unfavorable for mosquitoes to breed in - the number of hatches
      have been very limited. I've lived in Michigan for my entire life,
      and have never experienced weeks and weeks of summer conditions
      devoid of mosquitoes. During the testing period, I hiked in
      temperatures ranging from 53-95° F (12-35° C) but, for most outings,
      daytime temperatures were in a comfortable summertime range of 76-85°
      F (25-30° C). Add to this shade from trees and a steady breeze and
      hiking conditions were perfect, unless one was testing bug repellant
      or rain gear.

      As other hikers were quick to point out when I explained that I was
      testing a mosquito repellant, "first, there need to be actual
      mosquitoes to repel." Thankfully, I do tend to attract a lot more
      bugs than other people so while nobody was bitten on the few trips
      where I did see mosquitoes, they would still seek me out, land, and
      bite.

      From a performance perspective, my experience has continued to mirror
      what I initially found - mosquitoes still land and bite me, whether
      I've applied the repellant or not. Because I didn't find conditions
      where swarms of mosquitoes were present, I cannot comment on whether
      the product noticeably decreases the number of mosquitoes landing or
      not.

      Due to my not needing to apply the repellant very often, the bottle
      remains more than half full. I look forward to the May/June 2008
      timeframe, when I can continue my testing and amend this review.
      However, this statement brings about another concern - will the "Buzz
      Off" product still effective in ten month's time? There's no
      expiration date on the packaging - another improvement the
      manufacturer can make.

      Based on my initial comments of effectiveness, the manufacturer
      contacted me about my thoughts on increasing the percentage of catnip
      oil - the active ingredient - that the product contains. I think this
      is a good idea, and would welcome the opportunity to test a "high
      strength" version of "Buzz Off" in Spring 2008.

      - End of Field/Long-Term Report -
    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4 7:40 PM
        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@...>
        wrote:

        > My FR for the BuzzOff Insect Repellent can be found here:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/2akeez

        Oh, just read the Admin msg from Shane that this is a consumable and
        the FR/LTR due date has been extended to Sept 25th. And, mosquitoes
        are starting to increase in population again (rain, high humidity have
        returned). So, I'm retracting my FR and going to re-post in a few
        weeks time.
      • Leesa J
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5 2:49 AM
          Great! Hope you find lots of mosquitoes! (that sounds really mean, huh?)

          Leesa