Field Report Hennessy Supershelter - Jodi

  • Banjo Doje
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2005
      Well, I got it thanks to Vicodin ;-)

      The report is in the test folder for your HTML viewing - there are
      tables that look better in HTML

      You can see the HTML at TinyUrl

      http://tinyurl.com/asppx

      Jodi

      Field Report: Hennessy SuperShelter

      Name: Jodi Cornelius
      Email: bpskids@...
      Age: 43
      Height: 5'4"/1.6 m
      Weight: 180 lbs/82 kg
      Gender: Female
      City: Derrick City
      State: Pennsylvania
      Country: USA
      My Area of the Country: Northwest Pennsylvania
      Date: May 31, 2005

      My Background: I have been backpacking for 2 years now and before
      that I car camped quite a bit. I consider myself somewhat new to
      backpacking and am on my way towards becoming a lightweight packer. I
      tend to use a Hennessy Hammock since my only tent is a bivy tent. I
      prefer the hammock to a tent as the hammock leaves me swinging gently
      in the breeze with no hard spot from rocks on the ground. Nor do I
      need to dig troughs for my hips and shoulders (side sleeper) so I can
      practice LNT (Leave No Trace) much better.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammocks
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.hennessyhammocks.com
      Year of Manufacture:2004
      Product: 4 Season SuperShelter
      Listed Weight: UnderCover 7.5 oz/213 gm - UnderPad 5.5 oz/156 gm -
      StuffSack 1.0 oz/28 gm - Total Listed Weight 14 oz/397 gm - Torso Pad
      and Kidney Pad weights not listed on website
      Delivered Weight: UnderCover 6.75 oz/191 gm - UnderPad 4.5 oz/128 gm -
      StuffSack 1.0 oz/28 gm - Total Delivered Weight 12.25 oz/347 gm -
      Torso Pad 2.72 oz/77 gm - Hip Pad 1.2 oz/34 gm - Overcover 3.52 oz/100
      gm
      MSRP: US $129.95
      MSRP: US $29.95 - Optional Overcover
      MSRP: US $4.95 - Optional Hip Pad
      MSRP: US $9.95 - Optional Torso Pad

      Features from the Website:

      4-SEASON INSULATION SYSTEM Waterproof, windproof SilNylon double wall
      bottom cover used with detachable, contoured open cell foam pad.
      Designed to work together. UnderCover will not work with closed cell
      foam pads under hammock. weight 13 oz., comes with unique,double-ended
      1 oz. stuffsack.

      Field Testing: "Interesting" was the first thought that came to mind
      when I set the SuperShelter up for the very first time. Having had
      experience only with the original Hennessy Hammock, I was surprised to
      discover that the Asym styled hammocks set up quite a bit differently
      than my old one did. The Expedition Asym hammock that I got in order
      to test this Supershelter taught me that fly positioning is VERY
      important! Especially when attaching the Supershelter.

      After struggling with the hammock setup for a couple of hours, I
      decided to check out the Hennessy Hammock website. Lo, and behold,
      there is a very nice link for a video showing setup of the
      Supershelter. Seeing the hammock setup helped me get my hammock set up
      just right. That made a world of difference in getting the
      Supershelter in the proper position.

      Once I got the Undercover on, I proceeded to install the UnderPad.
      Very easy to do. The elastic bridle that was mentioned on the "Early
      Adopter" notice (see my Intial Report) helps keep the UnderPad in
      place and does a very good job of it.

      The opening of the UnderCover at the foot of the hammock is very
      generous, allowing me to get in between the UnderCover and the hammock
      to adjust the UnderPad as needed. The tensioning strings that come out
      of the side of the UnderPad slide through the UnderCover with little
      difficulty. One thing that I had to get used to was the fact that the
      only place the Underpad will go (unless I am doing something wrong but
      I don't think so) is on the bottom right of the opening of the
      hammock. This means I have to put my feet on the right side of the
      opening if I want to stay on the pad. I was used to having my feet on
      the left side of the opening, but this has just taken a little getting
      used to and now it's second nature.

      Once installed, I had a couple of warmish nights at temperatures
      hovering around 40 F/5 C and removed the UnderPad. By untying the
      tension string on the left side of the UnderCover, I was able to pull
      the cover out of the way and tie it off on the right side, effectively
      keeping the cover out of the way.

      Temperatures have dropped to the low teens (13 F/-11 C) and I stayed
      comfortably warm, although I did get a chill once, without a space
      blanket between me and the UnderPad. When I am in the hammock at these
      temperatures, I am wearing my sweats, wool socks, and my Psolar
      Balaclava (r). I am also using my Slumberjack Ultimate 20+ sleeping bag
      with the hood cinched around my face.

      I look forward to the remainder of the testing period. This is a GREAT
      addition to hammock camping.

      UPDATES to this report: I have used the new torso and hip pads twice
      since I received them. The temperatures were at 35 F/2 C the first
      time, the second time it only got down to 42 F/6 C. I did notice that
      I didn't feel as chilled with the new pads added but won't be able to
      give a solid report on the effectiveness of them until fall/winter
      hits again. I will be testing to see if the pads (all of them) will
      allow me to use the hammock in the summer without a sleeping mat. If
      so, it will be a nice addition as I will be able to cut out the weight
      of an additional pad!

      Things I like: Once I figured out what I was doing wrong with my fly
      setup, installation of the SuperShelter is very easy. There is room to
      add clothing, space blanket, whatever, as added insulation to the
      setup.
      Ease of moving it out of the way without having to take it off.
      The ability to FINALLY have a 4 season setup for hammocks!

      Things I don't like: So far, nothing.
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        Jodi,

        Great job, just one spelling catch. Upload when ready.

        Fuzzy (Chuck Kime)
        SuperShelter Monitor
        ********************
        The elastic bridle that was mentioned on the "Early Adopter" notice
        (see my Intial Report) helps keep the UnderPad in place and does a very
        good job of it.
        [EDIT] Initial
      • Banjo Doje
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
          Got it - thanks Fuzzy!!

          Jodi

          On 6/1/05, Fuzzy <ckime@...> wrote:
          > Jodi,
          >
          > Great job, just one spelling catch. Upload when ready.
          >
          > Fuzzy (Chuck Kime)
          > SuperShelter Monitor
          > The elastic bridle that was mentioned on the "Early Adopter" notice
          > (see my Intial Report) helps keep the UnderPad in place and does a very
          > good job of it.
          > [EDIT] Initial

          " Everyday I am faced with challenges and I accept those challenges,
          no matter how tough the reality of my life is. I can take it because I
          believe in me and know that I can do what I set my mind to do."
          Author Unknown