LTR DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer Bradley Bishop

  • bmbishop
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      Also in the test folder here: http://tinyurl.com/c5wta

      DeLorme Arkansas Atlas & Gazetteer
      Long Term Report

      Report Contents:
      Biography
      Product Information
      Long Term Report
      Likes
      Dislikes

      Biography
      Name: Bradley Bishop
      Age: 30
      Gender: male
      Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.8 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address: bradley AT bishopfam DOT us
      City, State, Country: Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA
      Date: 05/30/2005

      Backpacking Background
      I've been hiking, camping, and backpacking for over 20 years,
      beginning as a Boy Scout in Tennessee. I currently live in Tahlequah,
      Oklahoma (not a lot of mountains around there) and have done some
      hiking and backpacking locally and in the Ozarks and Buffalo National
      River area of Arkansas. I hope to go backpacking once a month as long
      as my schedule permits. I would classify my backpacking style as mid
      to heavyweight. I still tend to carry way too much stuff, but I am
      trying to lighten up.

      Product Information return to top
      DeLorme
      Year of Publication: 2004
      Cover Price: $19.95 US
      Listed dimensions: 11 in (28 cm) x 15 ½ in (39 cm)
      Actual dimensions: 11 in (28 cm) x 15 ½ in (39 cm)
      Weight: 14 oz (397 g)
      Material: Paperback

      Long Term Report return to top
      As I said in my Initial Report and Field Report, I am a map addict and
      have been looking forward to this test since the day my application
      was accepted. Because of its size, I have not used the DeLorme
      Arkansas Atlas & Gazetteer (hereafter referred to as Atlas) as a piece
      of backpacking gear, but rather as a reference for planning trips and
      finding campsites and trailheads. It has proven very useful in this
      capacity.

      The Atlas has held up very nicely over the course of this test. It
      shows no more wear and tear than I would have expected from an atlas.
      I have used the Atlas primarily for planning trips and navigating to
      trailheads, and it has stayed at home or in my car.

      The Atlas proved to be a very useful reference, especially for finding
      some backroads to trailheads. I even used it to help locate a friend's
      cabin which was on a "road" that was barely officially recognized as
      such, but was on the map in the Atlas.

      The Atlas also proved very useful in finding some new areas to hike. I
      found some beautiful areas close to home that I did not even know
      existed. The Atlas indicated their presence and even included an
      overview of facilities and activities available for some of the areas.

      I did not use the Atlas for navigating trails as I had planned because
      the detail of the trails I chose was not sufficient. The Atlas proved
      much more useful for navigation to and from the trail.

      Despite the large size of the Atlas, I find it easy to use in the car.
      Unlike foldable maps which I can fold up to show only the area in
      which I'm interested, I must keep the entire Atlas open. It is still
      easy to use while driving, although it would be advisable to use
      primarily at a stop or allow a passenger to navigate.

      I am no longer using the Atlas because I just relocated to Tucson,
      Arizona. I plan to keep the Atlas as a reference for any future trips
      to Arkansas. I have already purchased the Arizona Atlas and am looking
      forward to using it as well.

      I would highly recommend this Atlas, and have owned one for every
      state in which I have lived. My recommendation is to use the Atlas for
      planning trips and navigating to and from trailheads. For actual trail
      navigation, a more detailed map of the area would be more suitable.

      Likes return to top
      Ease of use
      Layout of sections
      Cross-referenced grid on back cover
      Descriptions of campgrounds and other point of interest

      Dislikes return to top
      Size
      Lack of portability

      Thanks for the opportunity to test the DeLorme Arkansas Atlas & Gazetteer.