EDIT LTR - Black Diamond OneShot - Thomas Vickers

  • Edward Ripley-Duggan
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hello TV,

      This looks good. Edits follow.

      Best,

      Ted.

      >Long Term Report
      >June 31, 2007
      >CONDITIONS AND LOCATIONS:
      >Night temperatures: 70 to 80 F (8 to 19 C)
      >Location: Sam Houston National Forest
      >Trip 1: 3 nights
      >Trip 2: 2 nights
      >
      >Things finally heat up:
      >My last couple of trips in the OneShot included more rain, but also some
      >blazing summer heat for the first time during this test. I discovered that
      >daytime temperatures in excess of 90 F ()

      ### COMMENT: don't forget conversion

      > make the OneShot more than a
      >little unlivable during the day. Of course the problem of this shelter being
      >an oven in the summer heat was made worse by the fact that most of my
      >campsites along the LoneStar Trail were in open areas, which meant little or
      >not

      ### EDIT: no

      > shade till late in the day.
      >
      >It was days like the one in the picture above where I pitched the tent in
      >the late afternoon and went and walked under the trees till everything
      >cooled off enough for me actually hide in the shelter. It was also on these
      >warmer nights that I discovered that I had to keep both windows open for
      >ventilation or I got way too hot for comfort.
      >
      >The good news was that even in the heat and rather high humidity (75% +) I
      >still didn't have any condensation problems. The windows seem pretty small
      >to provide all the ventilation needed to prevent condensation, so I have to
      >believe that the Epic fabric lived up to its hype of being breathable.
      >
      >I would really like to have seen bigger zip open windows. More exposed mesh
      >would have meant cooler nights in the Texas heat and would have made me just
      >a bit happier. I would also have been able to watch what was going on
      >around me while lying down, instead of having to sit up or prop myself up in
      >order to peer out of a window.
      >
      >One other thing that I tried during this part of the test was carrying the
      >OneShot without its stuff sack. I simply stuffed the shelter into my pack
      >ontop

      ### EDIT: on top

      > of my sleeping bag and then put everything else in on top of it. This
      >is the way that I normally carry my shelters, but I really think that I
      >prefer putting the OneShot in its stuff sack. The stuffed shelter is so
      >small, it just seems to take up much less room than when it is allowed free
      >range privilages

      ### EDIT: privileges

      > in my pack.
      >
      >Questions answered:
      >FIT:
      >1. How much room is there inside the OneShot? Will it hold me, my pack,
      >gear, and a sleeping pad?
      >Yes, barely. I can get my pack, my boots, rain gear and other extras
      >(including a pillow) into the OneShot, but it does get cramped inside very
      >quickly. I preferred just to keep my sleeping pad, pillow, and sleeping bag
      >inside with me, but due to the rain my boots were also a constant companion

      ### COMMENT: constant companions (?)

      >as well.
      >
      >2. How well do I fit through the door on this tent? Will it require any
      >special contortionist skills to get in and out of?
      >I had to crawl in and out, but the door opened wide and was easy for me to
      >enter and exit through. I did learn that I needed to shake the OneShot from
      >inside before I got out on rainy days to clear water off the top of the
      >shelter. I also had to shake it off before I entered on rainy days because
      >when I failed to do so, I got water on myself and inside the shelter.
      >
      >3. Can I really sit up in this tent? Black Diamond claims that I can and for
      >many people (not me) sitting up is a feature that they can not do without in
      >a shelter.
      >I can sit up hunched over (with my legs crossed) facing one of the tent
      >windows. My shoulders rub the sides when I try and sit up for any length of
      >time facing the ends of the OneShot. So I can do it, but is not as
      >comfortable as it sounds.
      >
      >USAGE:
      >1. How much is the actual pack weight (tent, fly, poles, stakes)? How close
      >is it to the claimed weight of 2 lb 5 oz (1.04 kg)?
      >According to my measurements, the tent and poles came in just 1 oz ( )

      ### EDIT: Conversion

> [...]
      >very well. I never had a condensation problem and this really surprised me
      >considering the climate here in Texas.
      >
      >5. How easy is it to pitch the canopy with the poles, but not the tent body?
      >Can it even be used this way?
      >The OneShot is a single body shelter. There is no separate canopy/fly and
      >tent body because they are all rolled into one piece of fabric. While this
      >design seemed strange to me, it did reduce the OneShot's weight and give it
      >a very small footprint in my pack.
      >
      >6. How well to the two side windows ventilate the tent? Is the ventilation
      >adequate enough to prevent condensation in the tent? How easy/difficult is
      >it to adjust the ventilation while in the tent?
      >The two windows do ventilate and cool the tent. When they are shut, the
      >temperature inside the OneShot is definitely several degrees warmer than the
      >outside air. I consider this a big plus in colder areas, but it tended to
      >work against me during the summer. I kept the windows open during the long
      >term test phase in order to keep the temperatures down inside the OneShot,
      >but I think that larger windows would have helped to cool the interior in
      >hotter climates. I think the combination of the windows and the
      >breathability of the Epic fabric are more than adequate to prevent
      >condensation.
      >CONSTRUCTION/DURABILITY:
      >1. How well do the Epic canopy and the nylon floor hold up to serious use?
      >No abuse here, just repeated stuffings and pitching in the course of hiking
      >trips?
      >I was always worried that I was going to snag the floor on a sticker vine of
      >some sort, but it never happened. I brushed branches and all sorts of plants
      >with the OneShot when I was setting it up and I have not seen a single sign
      >of serious wear and tear. I stuffed it in the stuff sack, carried it without
      >the stuff sack, and put the OneShot through many wet/dry cycles due to the
      >weather and I think that it still looks brand new.
      >
      >2. How durable are the poles of this tent? Will they hold up to the repeated
      >cycle of being put together and taken apart?
      >I am amazed that the poles bend as much as they do, but hold up so well. My
      >initial fear was that the amount of tension needed to put the poles in place
      >was going to cause problems, but they have held up really well over the
      >course of this test.
      >
      >3. How well does the zipper on the side door work? Will it jam, snag or
      >break through normal usage?
      >All the zippers on the OneShot have worked great. They slide really well and
      >I have never had issues with them snagging me or the shelter body.
      >Conclusions:
      >The Black Diamond OneShot is a unique shelter in its design and function. I
      >know that I have repeatedly cried about the fact that I would prefer a
      >bigger vestibule for boot storage, but all in all, the OneShot is pretty
      >impressive. It weighs just what I want a one man shelter to weigh an

      ### EDIT: and

    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
        In a message dated 8/1/2007 4:53:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        max.headroom.cacher@... writes:

        I am wondering that if there are enough applicants for the item why the
        call is pending?
        Are the quality of apps not up to par?

        Thanks
        Eager Andrew

        #############

        Andrew,

        It is not just a matter of the number and quality of apps, although those
        are very important considerations. It is also a balancing act between tester
        loads, demographics, experience, quality of past reports, etc., etc.

        Having only a few apps actually makes the choices more difficult on
        occasion. Technically, this call is still open. Stay tuned.....

        Jim S.

        "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
        not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
        alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
        remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

      • rayestrella1
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@... wrote:

          > Technically, this call is still open. Stay tuned.....

          So do you need more apps?

          Ray
        • JimSabis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
            In a message dated 8/1/2007 5:23:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            rayestrella@... writes:

            > Technically, this call is still open. Stay tuned.....

            So do you need more apps?

            Ray

            ###########3

            I'd really rather see some interest in the Outdoor Reaearch Airex call which
            is also open.

            Anybody?

            Beuller?

            Beuller?

            Jim S.

            You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance. Without it
            you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

          • tagnanidavid
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
              > I'm confused. I'm new, so that's not surprising. But how are we
              supposed to now what test calls are current and open? The list on
              backpackgeartest.org is not correct, and here on yahoo, the call for
              the OR AirX sacks says its been closed for two weeks. Is it really
              still open? I've been looking for something just like this . . . I'd
              love to submit an app if it's still possible.

              Dave

              > ###########3
              >
              > I'd really rather see some interest in the Outdoor Reaearch Airex
              call which
              > is also open.
              >
              > Anybody?
              >
              > Beuller?
              >
              > Beuller?
              >

              > Jim S.
              >
              > You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance.
              Without it
              > you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

            • Jason Boyle
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
                David,

                That is a good question. Normally test calls are open for one week
                from the date of the call. However, this test call has turned into a
                special case with not enough applications so it has been extended..
                we normally extend calls for a week or a few days. Since Jim has
                asked for more applications my recommendation would be to apply.

                Jason B

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "tagnanidavid"
                <dtagnani@...> wrote:

                > > I'm confused. I'm new, so that's not surprising. But how are we
                > supposed to now what test calls are current and open? The list on
                > backpackgeartest.org is not correct, and here on yahoo, the call for
                > the OR AirX sacks says its been closed for two weeks. Is it really
                > still open? I've been looking for something just like this . . . I'd
                > love to submit an app if it's still possible.
                >
                > Dave
                > >
                > > ###########3
                > >
                > > I'd really rather see some interest in the Outdoor Reaearch Airex
                > call which
                > > is also open.
                > >
                > > Anybody?
                > >
                > > Beuller?
                > >
                > > Beuller?
                > >

                > > Jim S.
                > >
                > > You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance.
                > Without it
                > > you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
                  Andrew

                  From the posting you quoted, "Test call will close midnite Thursday
                  7/13/07, Yahoo time." :-)

                  Andrew, sir

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                    In a message dated 8/4/2007 6:52:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    apriest@... writes:

                    Andrew

                    From the posting you quoted, "Test call will close midnite Thursday
                    7/13/07, Yahoo time." :-)

                    Andrew, sir

                    True, but it was extended. The Closing Notice was posted last Wednesday, IIRC.