SCARPA Mustang GTX boots - Final Report - James T.

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      SCARPA = Societ Calzaturiera Asolana Riunita Pedemontana Anonima
      (Associated Shoe Manufacturing Company of the Asolo mountain area)

      Well... that was a lot of effort! I got my computer back up and managed
      to reinstall the minimal things required to get this report submitted. I
      know it was due yesterday, and I apologize for the lateness, but I really
      did bust my butt to get it in only 8 hours late.

      So with that said... Jamie D. Here is the Long Term SCARPA Boot report
      for your editing pleasure. Text of the LTR is below, and the entire
      report can be found in HTML version at either link provided. I shall
      anxiously await your responses.

      Best regards,

      Jet
      (James E. Triplett)

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JETs%20Final%20SCARPA%20Boot%20Report/#SCARPA_speed-hooks_perform
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/2bxvrv
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++

      LONG TERM REPORT
      31-July-2007

      Test Location and Conditions:
      The SCARPA Mustang GTX Mid-Weight Hiking Boots have been the only boots I
      have worn during the four-month testing period. They have accompanied me
      on backpacking trips to Palisades Kepler Park, Pinicon Ridge Park, Faulks
      Heritage Woods (all in Eastern Iowa), as well as on day hikes on both
      public and private land near my home on the edge of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
      Temperatures for the entire test series have ranged from freezing to 95 F
      (35 C), and the elevation in this region is approximately 860 feet (262
      meters). Trail usage has included dirt trails, brush, rock and gravel
      trails, through lots of tall wet foliage, and a few areas of ankle-deep
      standing water. The terrain has been flat to hilly, without any dramatic
      climbs. These activities have been in a variety of conditions, from cool
      and dry, to hot and rainy, with most hiking being done on days exhibiting
      warm temperatures and typical summer humidity.

      <IMAGE>
      SCARPA Mustang GTX boots at the end of the test period

      Performance:
      The SCARPA boots have performed at least to my expectations and maybe a
      little beyond. They grip the earth as well as any of the other several
      hiking boots I have backpacked in, which makes sense considering they all
      have Vibram soles. The height of the boots is perfect for me, and I have
      found sufficient ankle support even when traversing a lateral grade which
      causes considerable sideways ankle bend. The laces have held up fine, and
      are thin and continue to slide through the lace retaining devices
      smoothly. They do tend to abrade my pinky fingers when I tighten the
      boots, but my hands have become resistant to that over the test period.
      The toes of the boots are sturdy and have been stubbed into rocks, logs,
      sticks, and roots, and have always provided adequate protection. Where
      the boots have gone beyond my expectations is that they have done all
      those high performing attributes while weighing in at only 54 oz (1,530
      grams). They are just really light on my feet and a pleasure to wear.

      Fit and Comfort:
      I have become very comfortable with the fit of the SCARPA Mustang GTX
      boots. In all honesty they are a little too wide for me, and thus I can't
      get them as tight as I would like. That being said, this only seems to
      cause negative results when I am hiking down fairly steep inclines with a
      rather loaded backpack. In that situation my toes tend to cram into the
      ends of the boots with a moderate amount of discomfort. Otherwise, I have
      gotten used to the SCARPAs and find them quite comfortable, especially
      with the aftermarket insoles as mentioned in my Field Report.

      Clean-up and Maintenance
      I've worn the SCARPA Mustang GTX boots in the mud a couple of times. With
      the aggressive tread, they really do hold on to the mud. I have also worn
      them seemingly constantly in heavy dew, where the weeds and grasses get
      the boots very wet on the outside, which then attracts dirt and makes for
      a gritty, dirty pair of boots. In both situations I tend to pound the
      boots together at the end of the hike? and then simply "wear them clean"
      when conditions dry out. Using this method the suede has stained, but
      otherwise the boots look pretty good. (That is one disadvantage of suede
      which I have discovered on other items as well.) Just prior to writing
      this final report, I did wash and scrub the SCARPAs so that I could
      inspect for damage and see how well they cleaned up.

      <IMAGE>
      The tread has worn after many miles of backpacking

      Durability:
      Durability of the SCARPAs has proven to be sufficient over the four-month
      test period. I estimate that I have taken about 660,000 steps in these
      boots, or 250 miles (400 km), some of which was rough enough terrain that
      the boots definitely go bumped and scraped. They have been caked with
      mud, and submerged in water, and yet they don't show excessive wear. After
      cleaning them up with warm water and a brush they look presentable. I
      wouldn't say they are new-like, but there are no noticeable severe gashes
      or abrasions and the discoloration of the upper materials is subtle.
      Continuing on with the subject of durability, I would like to note that
      the eyelets and speed hooks for the shoelaces which I was intrigued by in
      my Initial Report, have proven to work flawlessly. The speed hooks are
      without a doubt the best I have experienced to date. No bending open and
      no pinching shut on the laces. They hold their shape and hold the laces
      beautifully!

      <IMAGE>
      Final condition after a wash and dry

      Final Summary and Conclusions:
      The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have proven themselves to be capable in the
      easy to moderate hiking exposure I have given them. Based on my
      experience as a backpacker, and with many boots over the years, I am
      comfortable wearing them for anything I would attempt, short of technical
      climbing or use in severely cold weather. The eyelets and lacing system
      works quite well, and the support is acceptable. The reinforced areas
      provide the necessary protection where I usually need it most? that being
      the toes, heels, and ankles. The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots are a
      lightweight, attractive, durable solution for my backpacking needs.

      This concludes my report series on the SCARPA Mustang GTX boots.

      Respectfully submitted,

      -James T.

    • Jamie D
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hi JET

        Thank you for sending the LTR to my personal email as well as on list. For
        some reason I have not been able to access Yahoo groups today. Glad you
        found all the applications you needed to get your report up and running
        again. It looks great and all the links are working. I really only have
        one comment for you. I noticed you did not mention much about how water
        resistant they are in this report. There is a line or two in the FR and a
        subtle remark about wearing them through dewy grass where only the outside
        gets wet but nothing specific to this aspect. I would encourage adding a
        line or two to sum up your experiences with this. Totally your call though,
        of course.

        Jamie D
        Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

        Learn.Laugh.Share. Reallivemoms is right place!
      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
          > Hi JET
          >
          > Thank you for sending the LTR to my personal email as well as on list.
          For
          > some reason I have not been able to access Yahoo groups today. Glad you

          > found all the applications you needed to get your report up and running
          > again. It looks great and all the links are working. I really only
          have
          > one comment for you. I noticed you did not mention much about how water

          > resistant they are in this report. There is a line or two in the FR and
          > subtle remark about wearing them through dewy grass where only the
          outside
          > gets wet but nothing specific to this aspect. I would encourage adding
          > line or two to sum up your experiences with this. Totally your call
          though,
          > of course.
          >
          > Jamie D
          > Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

          +++++++++++++
          Hi Jamie! Good comments... which got me thinking of another thing I
          forgot to mention in my haste. (That being what socks I used during the
          test.) Please find below the adjusted sections of my report with <<<>>>
          around the added verbiage.

          Let me know if you catch anything in the additions? but I'll plan to go
          ahead and upload.

          THANK YOU!

          Jet

          Performance:
          The SCARPA boots have performed at least to my expectations and maybe a
          little beyond. They grip the earth as well as any of the other several
          hiking boots I have backpacked in, which makes sense considering they all
          have Vibram soles. The height of the boots is perfect for me, and I have
          found sufficient ankle support even when traversing a lateral grade which
          causes considerable sideways ankle bend. The laces have held up fine, and
          are thin and continue to slide through the lace retaining devices
          smoothly. They do tend to abrade my pinky fingers when I tighten the
          boots, but my hands have become resistant to that over the test period.
          The toes of the boots are sturdy and have been stubbed into rocks, logs,
          sticks, and roots, and have always provided adequate protection.
          <<<Wearing the boots on rainy days, through wet grass, and in up to about
          five inches (13 cm) of water, the boots remain completely waterproof and
          tend to seal reasonable well at the opening when worn with crew-length
          socks.>>> Where the boots have gone beyond my expectations is that they
          have done all those high performing attributes while weighing in at only
          54 oz (1,530 grams). They are just really light on my feet and a pleasure
          to wear.

          Fit and Comfort:
          I have become very comfortable with the fit of the SCARPA Mustang GTX
          boots. In all honesty they are a little too wide for me, and thus I can't
          get them as tight as I would like. That being said, this only seems to
          cause negative results when I am hiking down fairly steep inclines with a
          rather loaded backpack. In that situation my toes tend to cram into the
          ends of the boots with a moderate amount of discomfort. Otherwise, I have
          gotten used to the SCARPAs and find them quite comfortable, especially
          with the aftermarket insoles as mentioned in my Field Report. <<<I have
          worn the boots with crew-length Smartwool and cotton-blend athletic socks,
          and have not used liner socks. I have had no blistering or hot spots on
          my feet, and in fact right out of the box I could wear the SCARPAs without
          any foot damage at the end of a hike.>>>

          Final Summary and Conclusions:
          The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have proven themselves to be capable in the
          easy to moderate hiking exposure I have given them. Based on my
          experience as a backpacker, and with many boots over the years, I am
          comfortable wearing them for anything I would attempt, short of technical
          climbing or use in severely cold weather. The eyelets and lacing system
          works quite well, and the support is acceptable. The reinforced areas
          provide the necessary protection where I usually need it most? that being
          the toes, heels, and ankles. <<<The boots have remained totally
          waterproof throughout the test period without any kind of suede
          treatment.>>> The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots are a lightweight, attractive,
          durable solution for my backpacking needs.