Re: [backpackgeartesters] EDIT: Kathy Waters - Re: LTR - SCARPA Mustang GTX boots

  • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      Jamie,

      Thanks for the edits. Corrected and uploaded! See you again another time,
      another test ;)

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        SCARPA = Societ Calzaturiera Asolana Riunita Pedemontana Anonima
        (Associated Shoe Manufacturing Company of the Asolo mountain area)

        Well... that was a lot of effort! I got my computer back up and managed
        to reinstall the minimal things required to get this report submitted. I
        know it was due yesterday, and I apologize for the lateness, but I really
        did bust my butt to get it in only 8 hours late.

        So with that said... Jamie D. Here is the Long Term SCARPA Boot report
        for your editing pleasure. Text of the LTR is below, and the entire
        report can be found in HTML version at either link provided. I shall
        anxiously await your responses.

        Best regards,

        Jet
        (James E. Triplett)

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JETs%20Final%20SCARPA%20Boot%20Report/#SCARPA_speed-hooks_perform
        -or-
        http://tinyurl.com/2bxvrv
        ++++++++++++++++++++++++

        LONG TERM REPORT
        31-July-2007

        Test Location and Conditions:
        The SCARPA Mustang GTX Mid-Weight Hiking Boots have been the only boots I
        have worn during the four-month testing period. They have accompanied me
        on backpacking trips to Palisades Kepler Park, Pinicon Ridge Park, Faulks
        Heritage Woods (all in Eastern Iowa), as well as on day hikes on both
        public and private land near my home on the edge of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
        Temperatures for the entire test series have ranged from freezing to 95 F
        (35 C), and the elevation in this region is approximately 860 feet (262
        meters). Trail usage has included dirt trails, brush, rock and gravel
        trails, through lots of tall wet foliage, and a few areas of ankle-deep
        standing water. The terrain has been flat to hilly, without any dramatic
        climbs. These activities have been in a variety of conditions, from cool
        and dry, to hot and rainy, with most hiking being done on days exhibiting
        warm temperatures and typical summer humidity.

        <IMAGE>
        SCARPA Mustang GTX boots at the end of the test period

        Performance:
        The SCARPA boots have performed at least to my expectations and maybe a
        little beyond. They grip the earth as well as any of the other several
        hiking boots I have backpacked in, which makes sense considering they all
        have Vibram soles. The height of the boots is perfect for me, and I have
        found sufficient ankle support even when traversing a lateral grade which
        causes considerable sideways ankle bend. The laces have held up fine, and
        are thin and continue to slide through the lace retaining devices
        smoothly. They do tend to abrade my pinky fingers when I tighten the
        boots, but my hands have become resistant to that over the test period.
        The toes of the boots are sturdy and have been stubbed into rocks, logs,
        sticks, and roots, and have always provided adequate protection. Where
        the boots have gone beyond my expectations is that they have done all
        those high performing attributes while weighing in at only 54 oz (1,530
        grams). They are just really light on my feet and a pleasure to wear.

        Fit and Comfort:
        I have become very comfortable with the fit of the SCARPA Mustang GTX
        boots. In all honesty they are a little too wide for me, and thus I can't
        get them as tight as I would like. That being said, this only seems to
        cause negative results when I am hiking down fairly steep inclines with a
        rather loaded backpack. In that situation my toes tend to cram into the
        ends of the boots with a moderate amount of discomfort. Otherwise, I have
        gotten used to the SCARPAs and find them quite comfortable, especially
        with the aftermarket insoles as mentioned in my Field Report.

        Clean-up and Maintenance
        I've worn the SCARPA Mustang GTX boots in the mud a couple of times. With
        the aggressive tread, they really do hold on to the mud. I have also worn
        them seemingly constantly in heavy dew, where the weeds and grasses get
        the boots very wet on the outside, which then attracts dirt and makes for
        a gritty, dirty pair of boots. In both situations I tend to pound the
        boots together at the end of the hike? and then simply "wear them clean"
        when conditions dry out. Using this method the suede has stained, but
        otherwise the boots look pretty good. (That is one disadvantage of suede
        which I have discovered on other items as well.) Just prior to writing
        this final report, I did wash and scrub the SCARPAs so that I could
        inspect for damage and see how well they cleaned up.

        <IMAGE>
        The tread has worn after many miles of backpacking

        Durability:
        Durability of the SCARPAs has proven to be sufficient over the four-month
        test period. I estimate that I have taken about 660,000 steps in these
        boots, or 250 miles (400 km), some of which was rough enough terrain that
        the boots definitely go bumped and scraped. They have been caked with
        mud, and submerged in water, and yet they don't show excessive wear. After
        cleaning them up with warm water and a brush they look presentable. I
        wouldn't say they are new-like, but there are no noticeable severe gashes
        or abrasions and the discoloration of the upper materials is subtle.
        Continuing on with the subject of durability, I would like to note that
        the eyelets and speed hooks for the shoelaces which I was intrigued by in
        my Initial Report, have proven to work flawlessly. The speed hooks are
        without a doubt the best I have experienced to date. No bending open and
        no pinching shut on the laces. They hold their shape and hold the laces
        beautifully!

        <IMAGE>
        Final condition after a wash and dry

        Final Summary and Conclusions:
        The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have proven themselves to be capable in the
        easy to moderate hiking exposure I have given them. Based on my
        experience as a backpacker, and with many boots over the years, I am
        comfortable wearing them for anything I would attempt, short of technical
        climbing or use in severely cold weather. The eyelets and lacing system
        works quite well, and the support is acceptable. The reinforced areas
        provide the necessary protection where I usually need it most? that being
        the toes, heels, and ankles. The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots are a
        lightweight, attractive, durable solution for my backpacking needs.

        This concludes my report series on the SCARPA Mustang GTX boots.

        Respectfully submitted,

        -James T.

      • Jamie D
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hi JET

          Thank you for sending the LTR to my personal email as well as on list. For
          some reason I have not been able to access Yahoo groups today. Glad you
          found all the applications you needed to get your report up and running
          again. It looks great and all the links are working. I really only have
          one comment for you. I noticed you did not mention much about how water
          resistant they are in this report. There is a line or two in the FR and a
          subtle remark about wearing them through dewy grass where only the outside
          gets wet but nothing specific to this aspect. I would encourage adding a
          line or two to sum up your experiences with this. Totally your call though,
          of course.

          Jamie D
          Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

          Learn.Laugh.Share. Reallivemoms is right place!
        • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
            > Hi JET
            >
            > Thank you for sending the LTR to my personal email as well as on list.
            For
            > some reason I have not been able to access Yahoo groups today. Glad you

            > found all the applications you needed to get your report up and running
            > again. It looks great and all the links are working. I really only
            have
            > one comment for you. I noticed you did not mention much about how water

            > resistant they are in this report. There is a line or two in the FR and
            > subtle remark about wearing them through dewy grass where only the
            outside
            > gets wet but nothing specific to this aspect. I would encourage adding
            > line or two to sum up your experiences with this. Totally your call
            though,
            > of course.
            >
            > Jamie D
            > Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

            +++++++++++++
            Hi Jamie! Good comments... which got me thinking of another thing I
            forgot to mention in my haste. (That being what socks I used during the
            test.) Please find below the adjusted sections of my report with <<<>>>
            around the added verbiage.

            Let me know if you catch anything in the additions? but I'll plan to go
            ahead and upload.

            THANK YOU!

            Jet

            Performance:
            The SCARPA boots have performed at least to my expectations and maybe a
            little beyond. They grip the earth as well as any of the other several
            hiking boots I have backpacked in, which makes sense considering they all
            have Vibram soles. The height of the boots is perfect for me, and I have
            found sufficient ankle support even when traversing a lateral grade which
            causes considerable sideways ankle bend. The laces have held up fine, and
            are thin and continue to slide through the lace retaining devices
            smoothly. They do tend to abrade my pinky fingers when I tighten the
            boots, but my hands have become resistant to that over the test period.
            The toes of the boots are sturdy and have been stubbed into rocks, logs,
            sticks, and roots, and have always provided adequate protection.
            <<<Wearing the boots on rainy days, through wet grass, and in up to about
            five inches (13 cm) of water, the boots remain completely waterproof and
            tend to seal reasonable well at the opening when worn with crew-length
            socks.>>> Where the boots have gone beyond my expectations is that they
            have done all those high performing attributes while weighing in at only
            54 oz (1,530 grams). They are just really light on my feet and a pleasure
            to wear.

            Fit and Comfort:
            I have become very comfortable with the fit of the SCARPA Mustang GTX
            boots. In all honesty they are a little too wide for me, and thus I can't
            get them as tight as I would like. That being said, this only seems to
            cause negative results when I am hiking down fairly steep inclines with a
            rather loaded backpack. In that situation my toes tend to cram into the
            ends of the boots with a moderate amount of discomfort. Otherwise, I have
            gotten used to the SCARPAs and find them quite comfortable, especially
            with the aftermarket insoles as mentioned in my Field Report. <<<I have
            worn the boots with crew-length Smartwool and cotton-blend athletic socks,
            and have not used liner socks. I have had no blistering or hot spots on
            my feet, and in fact right out of the box I could wear the SCARPAs without
            any foot damage at the end of a hike.>>>

            Final Summary and Conclusions:
            The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have proven themselves to be capable in the
            easy to moderate hiking exposure I have given them. Based on my
            experience as a backpacker, and with many boots over the years, I am
            comfortable wearing them for anything I would attempt, short of technical
            climbing or use in severely cold weather. The eyelets and lacing system
            works quite well, and the support is acceptable. The reinforced areas
            provide the necessary protection where I usually need it most? that being
            the toes, heels, and ankles. <<<The boots have remained totally
            waterproof throughout the test period without any kind of suede
            treatment.>>> The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots are a lightweight, attractive,
            durable solution for my backpacking needs.