EDIT: Kathy Waters - Re: LTR - SCARPA Mustang GTX boots

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      Hi Kathy

      Congrats, I think you were the first to get your LTR in. Also, nice
      job on this series. It sounds like you found a great set of boots.
      My edits, comments & suggestions are below marked with ##.

      The slightly achy arches I endured during the field testing portion
      of my report was solved by replacing the stock inner soles with more
      supportive custome soles.

      ## Edit – "custom"

      After 4 months and at least 200 miles ( km) of trail use, my
      Mustangs are still in great shape.

      ##Edit - 200 miles (??? km)

      Cactus spines haven't torn or snagged the uppers nor have the laces
      unraveled.

      ## Edit – "unravelled"

      However, just recently per SCARPA's suggestion, I did treat my boots
      to Nikwax Nubuck & Suede treatment in anticipation of possible snow
      on Pike's Peak.

      ##Suggestion – How did this treatment go? Did it change the color
      of the boots?

      My Favorite Things:
      1.) Light weight, both in actual lb/kg and in keeping my feet cool.
      2.) Good fit. 3.) Ankle support.

      ##Edit – missed a return before 3.) Ankle support.

      The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have quickly become my go-to boots for
      my summer hiking. Their lightweight makes them a pleasure to put on
      and my feet stay drier both from less sweating and from the GoreTex
      protection from the elements.

      #Edit – "light weight"

      Jamie D
      Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor
    • theMiddleSister@usaring.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        Jamie,

        Thanks for the edits. Corrected and uploaded! See you again another time,
        another test ;)

        http://www.eset.com
      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          SCARPA = Societ Calzaturiera Asolana Riunita Pedemontana Anonima
          (Associated Shoe Manufacturing Company of the Asolo mountain area)

          Well... that was a lot of effort! I got my computer back up and managed
          to reinstall the minimal things required to get this report submitted. I
          know it was due yesterday, and I apologize for the lateness, but I really
          did bust my butt to get it in only 8 hours late.

          So with that said... Jamie D. Here is the Long Term SCARPA Boot report
          for your editing pleasure. Text of the LTR is below, and the entire
          report can be found in HTML version at either link provided. I shall
          anxiously await your responses.

          Best regards,

          Jet
          (James E. Triplett)

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JETs%20Final%20SCARPA%20Boot%20Report/#SCARPA_speed-hooks_perform
          -or-
          http://tinyurl.com/2bxvrv
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++

          LONG TERM REPORT
          31-July-2007

          Test Location and Conditions:
          The SCARPA Mustang GTX Mid-Weight Hiking Boots have been the only boots I
          have worn during the four-month testing period. They have accompanied me
          on backpacking trips to Palisades Kepler Park, Pinicon Ridge Park, Faulks
          Heritage Woods (all in Eastern Iowa), as well as on day hikes on both
          public and private land near my home on the edge of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
          Temperatures for the entire test series have ranged from freezing to 95 F
          (35 C), and the elevation in this region is approximately 860 feet (262
          meters). Trail usage has included dirt trails, brush, rock and gravel
          trails, through lots of tall wet foliage, and a few areas of ankle-deep
          standing water. The terrain has been flat to hilly, without any dramatic
          climbs. These activities have been in a variety of conditions, from cool
          and dry, to hot and rainy, with most hiking being done on days exhibiting
          warm temperatures and typical summer humidity.

          <IMAGE>
          SCARPA Mustang GTX boots at the end of the test period

          Performance:
          The SCARPA boots have performed at least to my expectations and maybe a
          little beyond. They grip the earth as well as any of the other several
          hiking boots I have backpacked in, which makes sense considering they all
          have Vibram soles. The height of the boots is perfect for me, and I have
          found sufficient ankle support even when traversing a lateral grade which
          causes considerable sideways ankle bend. The laces have held up fine, and
          are thin and continue to slide through the lace retaining devices
          smoothly. They do tend to abrade my pinky fingers when I tighten the
          boots, but my hands have become resistant to that over the test period.
          The toes of the boots are sturdy and have been stubbed into rocks, logs,
          sticks, and roots, and have always provided adequate protection. Where
          the boots have gone beyond my expectations is that they have done all
          those high performing attributes while weighing in at only 54 oz (1,530
          grams). They are just really light on my feet and a pleasure to wear.

          Fit and Comfort:
          I have become very comfortable with the fit of the SCARPA Mustang GTX
          boots. In all honesty they are a little too wide for me, and thus I can't
          get them as tight as I would like. That being said, this only seems to
          cause negative results when I am hiking down fairly steep inclines with a
          rather loaded backpack. In that situation my toes tend to cram into the
          ends of the boots with a moderate amount of discomfort. Otherwise, I have
          gotten used to the SCARPAs and find them quite comfortable, especially
          with the aftermarket insoles as mentioned in my Field Report.

          Clean-up and Maintenance
          I've worn the SCARPA Mustang GTX boots in the mud a couple of times. With
          the aggressive tread, they really do hold on to the mud. I have also worn
          them seemingly constantly in heavy dew, where the weeds and grasses get
          the boots very wet on the outside, which then attracts dirt and makes for
          a gritty, dirty pair of boots. In both situations I tend to pound the
          boots together at the end of the hike? and then simply "wear them clean"
          when conditions dry out. Using this method the suede has stained, but
          otherwise the boots look pretty good. (That is one disadvantage of suede
          which I have discovered on other items as well.) Just prior to writing
          this final report, I did wash and scrub the SCARPAs so that I could
          inspect for damage and see how well they cleaned up.

          <IMAGE>
          The tread has worn after many miles of backpacking

          Durability:
          Durability of the SCARPAs has proven to be sufficient over the four-month
          test period. I estimate that I have taken about 660,000 steps in these
          boots, or 250 miles (400 km), some of which was rough enough terrain that
          the boots definitely go bumped and scraped. They have been caked with
          mud, and submerged in water, and yet they don't show excessive wear. After
          cleaning them up with warm water and a brush they look presentable. I
          wouldn't say they are new-like, but there are no noticeable severe gashes
          or abrasions and the discoloration of the upper materials is subtle.
          Continuing on with the subject of durability, I would like to note that
          the eyelets and speed hooks for the shoelaces which I was intrigued by in
          my Initial Report, have proven to work flawlessly. The speed hooks are
          without a doubt the best I have experienced to date. No bending open and
          no pinching shut on the laces. They hold their shape and hold the laces
          beautifully!

          <IMAGE>
          Final condition after a wash and dry

          Final Summary and Conclusions:
          The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have proven themselves to be capable in the
          easy to moderate hiking exposure I have given them. Based on my
          experience as a backpacker, and with many boots over the years, I am
          comfortable wearing them for anything I would attempt, short of technical
          climbing or use in severely cold weather. The eyelets and lacing system
          works quite well, and the support is acceptable. The reinforced areas
          provide the necessary protection where I usually need it most? that being
          the toes, heels, and ankles. The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots are a
          lightweight, attractive, durable solution for my backpacking needs.

          This concludes my report series on the SCARPA Mustang GTX boots.

          Respectfully submitted,

          -James T.

        • Jamie D
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
            Hi JET

            Thank you for sending the LTR to my personal email as well as on list. For
            some reason I have not been able to access Yahoo groups today. Glad you
            found all the applications you needed to get your report up and running
            again. It looks great and all the links are working. I really only have
            one comment for you. I noticed you did not mention much about how water
            resistant they are in this report. There is a line or two in the FR and a
            subtle remark about wearing them through dewy grass where only the outside
            gets wet but nothing specific to this aspect. I would encourage adding a
            line or two to sum up your experiences with this. Totally your call though,
            of course.

            Jamie D
            Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

            Learn.Laugh.Share. Reallivemoms is right place!
          • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
              > Hi JET
              >
              > Thank you for sending the LTR to my personal email as well as on list.
              For
              > some reason I have not been able to access Yahoo groups today. Glad you

              > found all the applications you needed to get your report up and running
              > again. It looks great and all the links are working. I really only
              have
              > one comment for you. I noticed you did not mention much about how water

              > resistant they are in this report. There is a line or two in the FR and
              > subtle remark about wearing them through dewy grass where only the
              outside
              > gets wet but nothing specific to this aspect. I would encourage adding
              > line or two to sum up your experiences with this. Totally your call
              though,
              > of course.
              >
              > Jamie D
              > Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

              +++++++++++++
              Hi Jamie! Good comments... which got me thinking of another thing I
              forgot to mention in my haste. (That being what socks I used during the
              test.) Please find below the adjusted sections of my report with <<<>>>
              around the added verbiage.

              Let me know if you catch anything in the additions? but I'll plan to go
              ahead and upload.

              THANK YOU!

              Jet

              Performance:
              The SCARPA boots have performed at least to my expectations and maybe a
              little beyond. They grip the earth as well as any of the other several
              hiking boots I have backpacked in, which makes sense considering they all
              have Vibram soles. The height of the boots is perfect for me, and I have
              found sufficient ankle support even when traversing a lateral grade which
              causes considerable sideways ankle bend. The laces have held up fine, and
              are thin and continue to slide through the lace retaining devices
              smoothly. They do tend to abrade my pinky fingers when I tighten the
              boots, but my hands have become resistant to that over the test period.
              The toes of the boots are sturdy and have been stubbed into rocks, logs,
              sticks, and roots, and have always provided adequate protection.
              <<<Wearing the boots on rainy days, through wet grass, and in up to about
              five inches (13 cm) of water, the boots remain completely waterproof and
              tend to seal reasonable well at the opening when worn with crew-length
              socks.>>> Where the boots have gone beyond my expectations is that they
              have done all those high performing attributes while weighing in at only
              54 oz (1,530 grams). They are just really light on my feet and a pleasure
              to wear.

              Fit and Comfort:
              I have become very comfortable with the fit of the SCARPA Mustang GTX
              boots. In all honesty they are a little too wide for me, and thus I can't
              get them as tight as I would like. That being said, this only seems to
              cause negative results when I am hiking down fairly steep inclines with a
              rather loaded backpack. In that situation my toes tend to cram into the
              ends of the boots with a moderate amount of discomfort. Otherwise, I have
              gotten used to the SCARPAs and find them quite comfortable, especially
              with the aftermarket insoles as mentioned in my Field Report. <<<I have
              worn the boots with crew-length Smartwool and cotton-blend athletic socks,
              and have not used liner socks. I have had no blistering or hot spots on
              my feet, and in fact right out of the box I could wear the SCARPAs without
              any foot damage at the end of a hike.>>>

              Final Summary and Conclusions:
              The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots have proven themselves to be capable in the
              easy to moderate hiking exposure I have given them. Based on my
              experience as a backpacker, and with many boots over the years, I am
              comfortable wearing them for anything I would attempt, short of technical
              climbing or use in severely cold weather. The eyelets and lacing system
              works quite well, and the support is acceptable. The reinforced areas
              provide the necessary protection where I usually need it most? that being
              the toes, heels, and ankles. <<<The boots have remained totally
              waterproof throughout the test period without any kind of suede
              treatment.>>> The SCARPA Mustang GTX boots are a lightweight, attractive,
              durable solution for my backpacking needs.