LTR - Black Diamond OneShot Tent - Jim S.

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2007
      One LTR for your editing pleasure. HTML is here:

      _http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20BD%20OneShot%20T
      ent%20-%20Jim%20S./_
      (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20BD%20OneShot%20Tent%20-%20Jim%20S./)

      Jim S.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Where better to subject a tent to fully exposed wind and weather than a
      treeless deserted island? I happen to have access to just such a place (OK, there
      is one tree on the island!) - Sand Island. Sand Island is a small, uninhabited
      Island on the Great South Bay, which occupies a good size chunk of the South
      Shore of Long Island. The small island is not much more than a glorified
      sandbar visited by several hundred gulls and the occasional boat.

      Access to the island requires a boat and I've been using my kayak to get out
      there, a 4 mile (* km) paddle from The Bay Shore waterfront across Great Cove.
      Weather has been pretty typical for summer on Long Island. Average
      temperatures have been around 85 F (29 C), and little rain. Storms have been most
      notable by their absence, but the exposed, unprotected island has allowed me to get
      the most effect out of the winds available, up to about 25 mph (40 kph).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The OneShot continues to impress. The small pack size and light weight allow
      the tent to all but disappear in my pack and there is no noticeable wear and
      tear.

      I have begun using the little pockets sewn into the rear interior floor seam
      to store those little items that always seem to find there way under my other
      gear. I normally ignore these pockets, maybe storing the tent's stuff sack
      there just so it doesn't get lost. But the tight interior space encourages
      organization and these little pockets do come in handy, especially the one near the
      head end of the tent, which I can reach easily when lying down.

      I continue to find little details that I can incorporate into organizing
      conveniences. For instance, the pull loops on the window zippers are perfect for
      holding my glasses when I am sleeping. The glasses are well out of the way and
      easy to find when needed, as the glasses hang just a few inches away from my
      head. Nice. Another is the interior pole design. The tent fabric stretches
      tautly over the poles and make an ideal spot to wedge in my lightweight headlamp.
      I slide the elastic headband between the pole and tent body and then slide it
      into the best position, with the lamp assembly pulled close to the pole to
      eliminate sway. The tension hold the headlamp right where I want it. If I need
      the headlamp, I just grab the light assembly and a light tug releases it. Handy.

      I've found that it is not necessary to sit fully inside the tent when the
      weather is cooperating. I sit on the very edge of the tent floor at the door and,
      as the tent face angles away slightly, I can clear the awning and sit fully
      upright. while this is only an option in good weather, it is a far more
      comfortable position for sitting, cooking and even eating. Even, as seen in the photo
      below, while watching the sunset.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sitting outside the
      OneShot.">>

      When it comes to dealing with wind, the OneShot has proven to be rock solid.
      I mentioned the problem with the tent walls blowing inwards previously, but
      when the tent is oriented so the end of the tent faces the direction of the
      wind, steady is the name of the game. I estimate the strongest winds I
      experienced were about 25 mph (40 kph), with the odd gust to 30 mph (48 kph). From
      inside the tent, it was hard to tell there was even a strong breeze. There was no
      flapping and the tent body barely flexed. The pre-stressed design really makes
      for a stable set up.

      So, aside from the inherent limits imposed by the tent size, is there
      anything I don't like about the OneShot? Only one thing comes readily to mind -
      ventilation. The tent is very well ventilated, provided there is a breeze. I was
      concerned from the beginning that the screens were set so high in the door and
      rear wall. This arrangement is surprisingly effective, but finally hits its
      limits on those arm, muggy, breezeless nights common in the height of summer in
      the northeast. I would like to see the screens larger, maybe to within 10 in
      (25 cm) of the floor. This would make the best of any breeze that came along,
      and also improve the view! In fairness to the OneShot, most tents suffer in
      these muggy conditions, but I think a little more screen area would go a long way
      here.

      SUMMARY

      So, will I keep using the OneShot in my regular gear kit? Absolutely! The
      combination of super light weight, minimal pack space requirements and excellent
      construction are tough to beat. The superior room - when compared to a bivy -
      makes the OneShot a far more logical choice with only a minor weight penalty.
      This tent will likely remain my primary tent for the foreseeable future.

      If Black Diamond could see their way to raising the roof line by a few inches
      and enlarging the screen area a bit, the OneShot would approach perfection as
      a solo shelter.

    • Edward Ripley-Duggan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 7:06 AM
        Hello Jim,

        A few small edits, but this looks great. Nice spot, too.

        Best,

        Ted.

        >LONG-TERM REPORT
        >
        >LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
        >
        >Where better to subject a tent to fully exposed wind and weather than a
        >treeless deserted island? I happen to have access to just such a
        >place (OK, there
        >is one tree on the island!) - Sand Island. Sand Island is a small,
        >uninhabited
        >Island on the Great South Bay, which occupies a good size chunk of the South
        >Shore of Long Island. The small island is not much more than a glorified
        >sandbar visited by several hundred gulls and the occasional boat.
        >
        >Access to the island requires a boat and I've been using my kayak to get out
        >there, a 4 mile (* km)

        ### COMMENT: Don't forget that conversion, Jim.

        > paddle from The

        ### EDIT: the

        > Bay Shore waterfront across Great Cove.
        >Weather has been pretty typical for summer on Long Island. Average
        >temperatures have been around 85 F (29 C), and little rain. Storms
        >have been most
        >notable by their absence, but the exposed, unprotected island has
        >allowed me to get
        >the most effect out of the winds available, up to about 25 mph (40 kph).
        >
        >PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
        >
        >The OneShot continues to impress. The small pack size and light weight allow
        >the tent to all but disappear in my pack and there is no noticeable wear and
        >tear.
        >
        >I have begun using the little pockets sewn into the rear interior floor seam
        >to store those little items that always seem to find there

        ### EDIT: their

        > way under my other
        >gear. I normally ignore these pockets, maybe storing the tent's stuff sack
        >there just so it doesn't get lost. But the tight interior space encourages
        >organization and these little pockets do come in handy, especially
        >the one near the
        >head end of the tent, which I can reach easily when lying down.
        >
        >I continue to find little details that I can incorporate into organizing
        >conveniences. For instance, the pull loops on the window zippers are
        >perfect for
        >holding my glasses when I am sleeping. The glasses are well out of
        >the way and
        >easy to find when needed, as the glasses hang just a few inches away from my
        >head. Nice. Another is the interior pole design. The tent fabric stretches
        >tautly over the poles and make an ideal spot to wedge in my
        >lightweight headlamp.
        >I slide the elastic headband between the pole and tent body and then slide it
        >into the best position, with the lamp assembly pulled close to the pole to
        >eliminate sway. The tension hold

        ### EDIT: holds

        > the headlamp right where I want it. If I need
        >the headlamp, I just grab the light assembly and a light tug
        >releases it. Handy.
        >
        >I've found that it is not necessary to sit fully inside the tent when the
        >weather is cooperating. I sit on the very edge of the tent floor at
        >the door and,
        >as the tent face angles away slightly, I can clear the awning and sit fully
        >upright. while

        ### EDIT While

        > this is only an option in good weather, it is a far more
        >comfortable position for sitting, cooking and even eating. Even, as
        >seen in the photo
        >below, while watching the sunset.
        >
        ><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sitting outside the
        >OneShot.">>
        >
        >When it comes to dealing with wind, the OneShot has proven to be rock solid.
        >I mentioned the problem with the tent walls blowing inwards previously, but
        >when the tent is oriented so the end of the tent faces the direction of the
        >wind, steady is the name of the game. I estimate the strongest winds I
        >experienced were about 25 mph (40 kph), with the odd gust to 30 mph
        >(48 kph). From
        >inside the tent, it was hard to tell there was even a strong breeze.
        >There was no
        >flapping and the tent body barely flexed. The pre-stressed design
        >really makes
        >for a stable set up.
        >
        >So, aside from the inherent limits imposed by the tent size, is there
        >anything I don't like about the OneShot? Only one thing comes
        >readily to mind -
        >ventilation. The tent is very well ventilated, provided there is a
        >breeze. I was
        >concerned from the beginning that the screens were set so high in
        >the door and
        >rear wall. This arrangement is surprisingly effective, but finally hits its
        >limits on those arm

        ### EDIT: warm

        >, muggy, breezeless nights common in the height of summer in
        >the northeast.

        ### EDIT: Northeast [place, not direction, so capitalized]