Field Report: SkirtSports Gymgirl 2-pocket Woodlandsprite

  • Stephanie Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007
      Pre-OR Show Madness has struck (well, that and other things). I'm filing the
      report a touch early in the hopes I can get it uploaded before I leave for
      SLC.

      HTML here: http://snipurl.com/1p0hx

      Text:
      Product Performance in the Field (Field Report August 1, 2007)

      Field and Test Information:

      Location(s) of test:
      Various locations in the wide expansive deserts of southern Utah in addition
      to extensive use in the urban jungle.
      Terrain:
      The majority of the terrain has been open desert environments and canyons
      with few shade trees present, though several nights were also spent in high
      elevation pine forests where the cool nights and shade were greatly
      appreciated. Urban testing has taken place at my local gym and while out
      and about.
      Weather Conditions:
      Mostly sunny with a few overcast days. Winds have ranged from nonexistent
      to moderate gusts. Outside daytime temperatures during the test period have
      ranged from nighttime lows in the mid 50s F (low teens C) to daytime highs
      well in excess of 100 F (38 C). No precipitation was encountered during the
      field test period.

      During the Field Test period, I've had an opportunity to wear the GymGirl on
      numerous occasions - during the week, I often wear it as my preferred
      garment when I'm slated for aerobic exercise - especially if I'm planning on
      running. I've also had the opportunity to wear and evaluate the GymGirl
      while out hiking - both in low desert country as well as high above-treeline
      excursions. In all cases, the GymGirl was comfortable and flattering to
      wear, providing modesty and coverage with a little sass.

      I've been quite pleased with the performance of the GymGirl across the range
      of activities and environments I've tested it in. Durability-wise, the
      skirt shows little sign of all the wear its been through. I have not
      noticed any loose threads or seams, nor have I observed any fading in color
      or change in the fit. Surprisingly (to me anyhow), the fabric of the skirt
      remains smooth and blemish free - even after being worn off trail. While the
      off trail hiking did not subject the skirt to much brush, I did have to
      slide and climb down various slickrock sandstone obstacles. The GymGirl
      took it all in stride, and any dust or sand that was initially attracted to
      the skirt was easily brushed off. While at home, I've simply thrown the
      skirt in with the rest of my laundry and hung it to dry. While out
      backpacking, I would rinse the skirt when possible, and I never had any
      issues with it being damp in the morning. In addition, I did find that the
      skirt does dry quite quickly, as one of my hikes included extensive wading,
      resulting in the skirt periodically getting soaked. While the skirt does
      look a little bit rumpled after being squashed haphazardly into a pack, the
      wrinkles seemed to release after some time.

      Wearing the GymGirl has been quite pleasurable. The skirt (and the
      undershorts) are comfortable and quite breathable, and neither the waistband
      nor the shorts were binding or restrictive in any way. I never had any
      issues with the wind kicking up the skirt and "flashing" my hiking partners,
      nor did I have any difficulty with the skirt riding up while a pack was worn
      on top of it. I welcomed the light and breathable compression shorts,
      especially on my low desert hikes. With the high temperatures and little
      wind, regular shorts would have made for uncomfortable walking, for they
      would have constantly been riding up and I would have been in danger of
      severe chafing in the upper thigh region. I had no fears of (or problems
      with) chub rub during the test period - once a light sweat was built up, the
      shorts of the GymGirl could be tugged into place, and there they would stay,
      providing protection against the dreaded thigh chafing!

      On occasion, I used the pockets of the GymGirl while hiking - though I used
      them primarily for storing wrappers and baggies after having consumed the
      goodies. Accessing the pockets wasn't difficult or hindered at all, even
      while wearing a full backpack. I have used the pockets while running to
      securely hold my 3 oz. (90 g) mp3 player with no difficulties - the only
      quibble I have while using the pockets in this fashion is that the button
      hole provided to route my headphone cord out is a rather tight fit for
      after-market headphone jacks. I should note that I rarely use my pockets to
      carry snacks or other things while I hike/backpack - and if ever I'm hunting
      for a pocket to use, it is typically for the same use that I put these to -
      to store wrappers and empty baggies from snacks that have already been
      consumed.

      Given the choice between shorts and an athletic skirt, I believe I'll be
      choosing the skirt for future hiking and backpacking activities. The
      GymGirl is comfortable, performs well, and it's flattering appearance easily
      goes from trail (or gym) to running around town. With that said, here are
      my "Woo Hoos" (likes) and my "Boo Hoos" (some room for improvement).
      - Woo Hoo: Very comfortable, the waistband and compression shorts don't bind
      or squeeze.
      - Woo Hoo: Flattering design that provides coverage while preventing chub
      rub!
      - Woo Hoo: Tech fabric packs nicely, releases wrinkles, doesn't attract and
      hold dirt and breathes well.
      - Woo Hoo: Easy care - dries fast.
      - Woo Hoo: Pockets are easily accessible, even when a pack is being worn.
      - Boo Hoo: Button hole to allow headphone cords to be routed out of skirt is
      a very tight fit for aftermarket headphone jacks.

      This concludes my Field Report. The Long Term Report will be appended to
      this report in approximately two months from the date of the field report.
      Please check back then for further information.

      --
      Stephanie Martin
      Director, Product Reviews

      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
      The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!

    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        EDITS of the report mentioned below:
        > HTML here: http://snipurl.com/1p0hx
        > Field Report: SkirtSports Gymgirl 2-pocket Woodlandsprite
        > Product Performance in the Field (Field Report August 1, 2007)

        Hi Stephanie!!! Nice job on your GymGirl report. Nearly flawless except
        for some pesky "its" vs. it's".

        I do want to question the top of your html report though. Per the current
        requirements you are to list each report section and the date that section
        was created. I'm not really seeing that in your report. Links are
        optional, but you can look at my SCARPA report currently in the test
        folder for an example. http://tinyurl.com/2fl43p You may (or may not)
        want to also delineate the sections a little more clearly by using bigger
        fonts or horizontal lines. This is not a requirement as long as the
        sections are clearly marked.

        So with all that said... here are the few tiny edits. You have conveyed
        the essence of this item extremely well! (And you even got to include the
        word "sass" in a report!)

        Thank you!

        Best regards...

        James E. Triplett
        Skirt (Sports) Monitor

        ++++++++++++++++++

        Durability-wise, the skirt shows little sign of all the wear its been
        through.
        [EDIT] Found one! "It's" is the proper contraction for "it has"

        I have used the pockets while running to securely hold my 3 oz. (90 g) mp3
        player with no difficulties
        [COMMENT] I can't find anything to edit? so I'll just point out that 3 oz
        is actually 85 grams. (Rounding up to 90 is acceptable if that is what
        you intended.)

        The GymGirl is comfortable, performs well, and it's flattering appearance
        easily goes from trail (or gym) to running around town.
        [EDIT] Remember, contractions get the hyphen, possessives don't. "it's"
        should be "its".

        +++++++end++++++++

      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
          Stephanie,

          I see you have uploaded your report... but you still need the names of the
          sections and dates at the top of the report.
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Skirts%20and%20Kilts/SkirtSports%20GymGirl%20SportsSkirt/Test%20Report%20by%20Stephanie%20Martin/

          Something like:
          - Initial Report: May 27, 2007
          - Field Report: Aug 1, 2007

          Thank you!

          James
          Skirt (Sports) Monitor

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2007
            Stephanie. I got another upload notice for your SkirtSports report... but
            I'm still not seeing each report section and date at the top of your
            report. Please fix and upload as soon as possible.

            Thank you!

            Jet

          • WoodlandSprite
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2007
              JET - it's in the section labeled: Date in the table at the top of the report.
              Let me know if that is acceptable or not.
              Each section is also labeled with the date. If not acceptable, I'll have to deal with it when I get back in town on Monday or Tuesday. I'm not planning on checking email this weekend-Stephanie

              jetriple@... wrote:
              Stephanie. I got another upload notice for your SkirtSports report... but
              I'm still not seeing each report section and date at the top of your
              report. Please fix and upload as soon as possible.

              Thank you!

              Jet

              backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 08/01/2007 08:56:13 AM:

              > EDITS of the report mentioned below:
              > > HTML here: http://snipurl.com/1p0hx
              > > Field Report: SkirtSports Gymgirl 2-pocket Woodlandsprite
              > > Product Performance in the Field (Field Report August 1, 2007)
              >
              > Hi Stephanie!!! Nice job on your GymGirl report. Nearly flawless
              except
              > for some pesky "its" vs. it's".
              >
              > I do want to question the top of your html report though. Per the
              current
              > requirements you are to list each report section and the date that
              section
              > was created. I'm not really seeing that in your report. Links are
              > optional, but you can look at my SCARPA report currently in the test
              > folder for an example. http://tinyurl.com/2fl43p You may (or may not)
              > want to also delineate the sections a little more clearly by using
              bigger
              > fonts or horizontal lines. This is not a requirement as long as the
              > sections are clearly marked.
              >
              > So with all that said... here are the few tiny edits. You have conveyed

              > the essence of this item extremely well! (And you even got to include
              the
              > word "sass" in a report!)
              >
              > Thank you!
              >
              > Best regards...
              >
              > James E. Triplett
              > Skirt (Sports) Monitor
              >
              > ++++++++++++++++++
              >
              > Durability-wise, the skirt shows little sign of all the wear its been
              > through.
              > [EDIT] Found one! "It's" is the proper contraction for "it has"
              >
              > I have used the pockets while running to securely hold my 3 oz. (90 g)
              mp3
              > player with no difficulties
              > [COMMENT] I can't find anything to edit? so I'll just point out that 3
              oz
              > is actually 85 grams. (Rounding up to 90 is acceptable if that is what
              > you intended.)
              >
              > The GymGirl is comfortable, performs well, and it's flattering
              appearance
              > easily goes from trail (or gym) to running around town.
              > [EDIT] Remember, contractions get the hyphen, possessives don't. "it's"

              > should be "its".

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              ---
              shop: Spritely Goods - beautifully handcrafted supplies & patterns for wool fans - a portion of each sale benefits the following charities: Komen Foundation, Heifer International & Best Friends Animal Society
              http://spritelygoods.com