LTR - GoLite Odyssey - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2007
      LTR - GoLite Odyssey - Chuck Carnes

      Html Version:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-GLOdyssey-CC/

      Text Version:

      GOLITE
      O D Y S S E Y
      P A C K
      Initial Report: February 13, 2007
      Field Report: June 28, 2007
      Long Term Report: July 24, 2007

      I have used the GoLite Odyssey on two trips since my
      Field Report. These were day hikes and I used it as
      such with the Compactor System. One was to Paris
      Mountain State Park which was a 3.8 mile (6.1 km) loop
      at elevations ranging from 1,200 ft (366 m) to 1,500
      ft (457 m). The weather was very cloudy and the
      temperatures stayed at around 80 F (26 C). I did
      experience a rain shower for about 30 minutes and I
      did not have a cover for the pack. I had packed the
      Odyssey with some food and some cloths and still had
      plenty of room left. The Compactor System basically
      closes of the bottom 1/3 of the pack and allows the
      user to still use the front pockets and top loading
      area. The pack weight ended up being just under 25 lb
      (11 kg), which truly felt like I did not have anything
      in the pack. I think because I had most of the gear
      spread out amongst the two front pockets, the top
      pocket and the main compartment that the weight was
      distributed very well. Although I would not
      necessarily use this pack as a day hike pack, it could
      be used as such if the user decides to day hike after
      backpacking to a designated area; this would keep from
      having to carry a small day pack. All of my gear was
      very easy to get to when I stopped for breaks. It was
      easy just to sling it on my back and buckle the waist
      belt and most of the time I kept the belt very lose.

      As I mentioned, I did experience a rain shower during
      this trip so this gave me a chance to see how well the
      polyurethane-coated and DWR-treated material held up
      to the rain. It did a wonderful job keeping the rain
      from soaking into the material and letting water enter
      in. The rain beaded up on the fabric and just rolled
      off. I was very surprised to find the inside of the
      pack very dry while the outside of the material was
      damp but not soaked through. This gave me assurance to
      know that I wouldn't necessarily need a rain cover for
      the pack unless I just wanted to keep it from getting
      dirty. Now what would be the fun in that?

      The GoLite Odyssey went with me to Old Mkushi Village
      in Zambia, Africa. On this trip I only used it to
      carry my gear about .25 mile (.40 km) to the area that
      we were camping. I did not have to hike an extended
      length that would give me the opportunity to actually
      backpack with it. I put all of my gear that I needed
      for the 4 nights in the Odyssey and it handled it
      well, as to be expected. I still packed it as if I was
      carrying it on a multi mile (kilometer) hike just to
      get the feel of packing it and unpacking it. I still
      like the many options I have for organizing my gear.
      It was very helpful and easy to sort out my stuff once
      I got to the site and started setting up. camp.

      In these past four months with using the GoLite
      Odyssey I have been very pleased with it's
      performance. It has everything I like in a big pack
      without the extra weight. I am very happy to be able
      to pack a few extra fun things that I would normally
      leave behind because of the extra weight but with the
      Odyssey, I can pack it and it handles it well. I can't
      say that it would be comfortable over 50 lb (22 kg)
      and decidedly so since GoLite did not design it to be.
      At 45 lb (20 kg) it was comfortable, but I feel like
      it couldn't handle much more and still be in the
      comfort zone with the capacity to weight ratio. I will
      continue to use this pack as my multi night pack and
      when I need to carry a lot of gear in it.

      LIKES

      * Very large capacity
      * Lots of nice features
      * Very comfortable
      * The pockets on the waist belt

      DIS - LIKES

      * Watertight zippers are a little tough to zip and
      unzip
      * The lid is a little difficult to adjust and remove

      This concludes my Long Term Report. Thank you GoLite
      and BackpackGearTest.org for this great opportunity.

    • Sonjia
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 10:35 PM
        Chuck

        A thousand apologies for the delay in editing this. For some reason I
        thought that I already had done so. Shane's BGT Monitor Status Email
        system gave me a helpful slap upside the head to remind me.

        Here are my edits. Please upload when ready. Thank you for all of
        your hard work!

        Sonjia

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
        <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:
        > such with the Compactor System. One was to Paris
        > Mountain State Park which was a 3.8 mile (6.1 km) loop
        #Comment: I find it helpful to have the state (or country, if
        necessary) included so that I, as a reader, get a better picture of
        where the testing is taking place. Your choice.

        > Odyssey with some food and some cloths and still had
        #EDIT: change "cloths" to "clothes"

        > The GoLite Odyssey went with me to Old Mkushi Village
        > in Zambia, Africa. On this trip I only used it to
        #Comment: WOW!

        #Edit/Comment - HTML report: Your title is "GOLite, but you have
        spelled it "GoLite" throughout the rest of the report. Please either
        capitalize the title (GOLITE) or keep it consistent with the rest of
        the report (GoLite). Also, your field report seems to be in a
        slightly larger font (or is bold) as opposed to the initial and final
        report text. Please check and fix if necessary.