TEST CALL: Compressed summits?

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 13, 2007
      No, the Outdoor Research DryComp Summit Sack!

      This interesting item is for the efficient 'everything does two jobs'
      backpacker. This is a combination stuff sack and summit daypack. Nice!

      Info here:

      _http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600_
      (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600)

      Fine print:

      Newbie rule does NOT apply
      International is ok
      Test call will close midnite Thursday 7/13/07, Yahoo time.

      We will be looking closely at the test plans for this unique item, so give
      it some real thought.

      Remember - neatness counts and no chewing gum unless you bring enough for
      everybody!

      Jim S.
      Test Moderator

    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2007
        I was thinking about applying for this but the closing date was the 13th
        instant. Is that correct, not an unknown 13th month.

        The email arrived on the 14th instant within a few minutes after you sent
        it, so how can it be that it closed before it was open?

        Just very curious.

        Ralph

        _____

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 17, 2007
          I am pleased to submit the following application to test the Outdoor
          Research DryComp Summit Sack. I have read the requirements found in
          Chapter 5 of the BGT Survival Guide, v. 0609, and will comply with
          these requirements.

          PERSONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION:

          Name: Mike Curry
          Age: 37
          Gender: Male
          Height: 5'11" (1.8 m.)
          Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
          Email address: thefishguyAThotmailDOTcom
          Residence: Aberdeen, Washington, USA

          Backpacking background:

          I've been backpacking, climbing, ski-packing, bushwhacking, and
          snowshoeing throughout Oregon and Washington for the last 25 years.
          I'm an all-season, all terrain, off-trail kind of guy, but these
          days (having small kids) most of my trips run on the shorter, saner
          side of things, and tend to be in the temperate rainforest. While
          I've carried packs in excess of 70 pounds (32 kilos), the older I
          get the more minimalist I become, and now tend toward ultralight
          tarp camping in most cases.

          FIELD INFORMATION:

          I have to chuckle anytime I read the word "waterproof." I live in a
          place that gets about twice the rainfall of Seattle (we average
          about 85 in (216 cm) a year). Most of my hiking and backpacking is
          done on the southwest flank of the Olympic Mountains, where rainfall
          averages from 140 in (356 cm) of rain a year around Quinault to an
          estimated 200 in (508 cm) near the Wynoochee headwaters.
          Most "waterproof" gear I've used is, in my neck of the woods, water
          resistant at best. Around here, if it's breathable, it's rarely
          waterproof.

          If selected, I will test this pack on most of my backpacking trips
          during the test period. I have about a dozen backpacking nights
          planned right now, ranging from sea level to around 4,800 ft (1463
          m). Dates haven't been set yet for my fall and winter trips, but
          starting in October I'm out about 2-3 trips a month (I go
          backpacking and dayhiking to go salmon and steelhead fishing during
          the fall and winter). Anticipated weather would include high
          temperatures ranging from 45-90 F (7-32 C) and overnight lows
          ranging from 32-60 F (0-16 C). My trips during the summer and early
          fall are usually ultralight tarp trips. From mid-October on (once
          our rainy season hits) things get a little heavier. By November I
          should have the chance to test this product in real rain, meaning 6-
          8 in (15-20 cm) in 24 hours.

          TEST PLAN:

          If selected, I plan to test this pack in a number of ways. My field
          report will summarize the products performance during our dry
          months, where I'll be able to use it as a summit pack from peak
          bagging and other side excursions on my trips. I will use it in my
          pack as dry storage for clothing, and be able to evaluate its
          ability to handle things like being dunked while fording streams.
          Come fall, it will serve as my excursion pack while fishing,
          carrying my lunch, some clothes, and fishing gear while I'm fishing,
          and as a dry bag in my primary pack for my clothes and other items.
          The long-term report will be able to evaluate its ability to repel
          real rain.

          Throughout the testing I will work to evaluate the following:

          *Water resistance and durability – This is my primary question . . .
          is the Hydroseal coated Antron nylon really waterproof and durable
          (to my rainforest standards)? Do the taped seams hold up and remain
          water resistant? Is the roll-top closure watertight?

          *Design – Is it functional as both as a compression sack and summit
          pack? Is it comfortable as a pack? Are the features (mesh pockets,
          one-hand pull elastic drawcords, daisy chains, ice axe loops, etc.)
          useful and easy to use? I have to wonder how much give-and-take is
          required in designing a dual-purpose item of this nature, and how
          that give-and-take impacts the performance of the product for each
          purpose. This (along with water resistance) would be the main
          things I'll be watching. I'm particularly interesting is seeing if
          performance is sacrificed in having the compression straps do double-
          duty as shoulder straps and a hip belt, and vice-versa (e.g., are
          the straps comfortable when used as a pack, and do they function
          well as compression straps?).

          *Component Quality and Reliability – Are the components (straps,
          buckles, daisy chains, ice axe loops, fabric) useful and durable?
          Do they function as expected?

          Below you will find a link to my previous reviews.

          PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS:

          My previous reviews can be found at
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/thefishguy

          ITEMS I'M CURRENTLY TESTING:

          White Sierra Trail Pants – IR completed.
          Katadyn Camp Filter – Selected for test

          Thank you for your consideration!

          END OF APPLICATION
        • Andrew (not Kiwi)
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
            Hi
            Can anyone tell me when this test call ends please?
            Thanks
            Andrew Preece

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@... wrote:

            > No, the Outdoor Research DryComp Summit Sack!
            >
            > This interesting item is for the efficient 'everything does two jobs'
            > backpacker. This is a combination stuff sack and summit daypack. Nice!
            >
            > Info here:
            >

            > _http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600_
            > (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600)
            >
            > Fine print:
            >

            > Newbie rule does NOT apply
            > International is ok
            > Test call will close midnite Thursday 7/13/07, Yahoo time.
            >
            > We will be looking closely at the test plans for this unique item,
            so give
            > it some real thought.
            >
            > Remember - neatness counts and no chewing gum unless you bring
            enough for
            > everybody!
            >
            > Jim S.
            > Test Moderator

          • Ralph Ditton
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30, 2007
              The 19th July going by the test call Andrew.

              Ralph

              _____

              Can anyone tell me when this test call ends please?
              Thanks
              Andrew Preece

              --- In backpackgeartesters <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>
              @yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@... wrote:

              > No, the Outdoor Research DryComp Summit Sack!
              >
              > This interesting item is for the efficient 'everything does two jobs'
              > backpacker. This is a combination stuff sack and summit daypack. Nice!
              >
              > Info here:
              >

              > _http://www.outdoorr <http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600_>
              esearch.com/home/style/36600_
              > (http://www.outdoorr <http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/36600>
              esearch.com/home/style/36600)

              > Fine print:
              >

              > Newbie rule does NOT apply
              > International is ok
              > Test call will close midnite Thursday 7/13/07, Yahoo time.
              >
              > We will be looking closely at the test plans for this unique item,
              so give
              > it some real thought.
              >
              > Remember - neatness counts and no chewing gum unless you bring
              enough for
              > everybody!
              >
              > Jim S.
              > Test Moderator

            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                HTML here
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR-Oneshot-TV/

                Long Term Report
                June 31, 2007
                CONDITIONS AND LOCATIONS:
                Night temperatures: 70 to 80 F (8 to 19 C)
                Location: Sam Houston National Forest
                Trip 1: 3 nights
                Trip 2: 2 nights

                Things finally heat up:
                My last couple of trips in the OneShot included more rain, but also some
                blazing summer heat for the first time during this test. I discovered that
                daytime temperatures in excess of 90 F () make the OneShot more than a
                little unlivable during the day. Of course the problem of this shelter being
                an oven in the summer heat was made worse by the fact that most of my
                campsites along the LoneStar Trail were in open areas, which meant little or
                not shade till late in the day.

                It was days like the one in the picture above where I pitched the tent in
                the late afternoon and went and walked under the trees till everything
                cooled off enough for me actually hide in the shelter. It was also on these
                warmer nights that I discovered that I had to keep both windows open for
                ventilation or I got way too hot for comfort.

                The good news was that even in the heat and rather high humidity (75% +) I
                still didn't have any condensation problems. The windows seem pretty small
                to provide all the ventilation needed to prevent condensation, so I have to
                believe that the Epic fabric lived up to its hype of being breathable.

                I would really like to have seen bigger zip open windows. More exposed mesh
                would have meant cooler nights in the Texas heat and would have made me just
                a bit happier. I would also have been able to watch what was going on
                around me while lying down, instead of having to sit up or prop myself up in
                order to peer out of a window.

                One other thing that I tried during this part of the test was carrying the
                OneShot without its stuff sack. I simply stuffed the shelter into my pack
                ontop of my sleeping bag and then put everything else in on top of it. This
                is the way that I normally carry my shelters, but I really think that I
                prefer putting the OneShot in its stuff sack. The stuffed shelter is so
                small, it just seems to take up much less room than when it is allowed free
                range privilages in my pack.

                Questions answered:
                FIT:
                1. How much room is there inside the OneShot? Will it hold me, my pack,
                gear, and a sleeping pad?
                Yes, barely. I can get my pack, my boots, rain gear and other extras
                (including a pillow) into the OneShot, but it does get cramped inside very
                quickly. I preferred just to keep my sleeping pad, pillow, and sleeping bag
                inside with me, but due to the rain my boots were also a constant companion
                as well.

                2. How well do I fit through the door on this tent? Will it require any
                special contortionist skills to get in and out of?
                I had to crawl in and out, but the door opened wide and was easy for me to
                enter and exit through. I did learn that I needed to shake the OneShot from
                inside before I got out on rainy days to clear water off the top of the
                shelter. I also had to shake it off before I entered on rainy days because
                when I failed to do so, I got water on myself and inside the shelter.

                3. Can I really sit up in this tent? Black Diamond claims that I can and for
                many people (not me) sitting up is a feature that they can not do without in
                a shelter.
                I can sit up hunched over (with my legs crossed) facing one of the tent
                windows. My shoulders rub the sides when I try and sit up for any length of
                time facing the ends of the OneShot. So I can do it, but is not as
                comfortable as it sounds.

                USAGE:
                1. How much is the actual pack weight (tent, fly, poles, stakes)? How close
                is it to the claimed weight of 2 lb 5 oz (1.04 kg)?
                According to my measurements, the tent and poles came in just 1 oz ( ) over
                the claimed weight. This did not include stakes or the footprint.

                2. How many stakes does it take to secure the OneShot? Is it a free standing
                tent that can be pitched without stakes? How does the OneShot handle wind
                with/without being staked down?
                I never used more than four stakes to secure this shelter. There are tie out
                points for more cords and stakes, but I never needed them. Most of the time
                I only used two stakes on opposite corners of the shelter. The OneShot is
                definitely free standing and doesn't need stakes if I am in the shelter.
                Without me in the OneShot, my pad and sleeping bag were not enough to keep
                it safely in place. I never dealt with any really high winds, but I never
                felt secure about leaving the shelter up without at least two stakes if I
                wasn't going to be inside it.

                3. How easy is it to pitch the OneShot? Is the 2 ½ pole design easy to
                handle and set up? How hard is it to clip the fly to the poles/body of the
                tent?
                In my opinion there is just no good or easy way to pitch the OneShot. The
                main concern that I have always had is how to get the poles securely inside
                the shelter body without poking a hole in the OneShot. I never poked any
                holes, but I always felt that I was one flick of a pole away, not matter how
                many different ways I tried. Once I got the poles inside and situated, it
                was pretty easy to use the hook and loop fasteners to secure the poles, but
                getting to that point was always frustrating and sometimes verged on
                acrobatic.

                4. Will the Epic canopy (fly) keep me dry? Can the canopy 'wet through' if
                it gets wet enough? How bad is the condensation on the underside of the
                canopy in high humidity situations? Is there enough airflow between the
                canopy and tent to prevent the build up of condensation? Does the canopy
                breathe well enough to prevent condensation?
                I spent several rainy nights in the OneShot. The shelter body never 'wet
                through' and it kept me extremely dry. I also feel that the shelter breathes
                very well. I never had a condensation problem and this really surprised me
                considering the climate here in Texas.

                5. How easy is it to pitch the canopy with the poles, but not the tent body?
                Can it even be used this way?
                The OneShot is a single body shelter. There is no separate canopy/fly and
                tent body because they are all rolled into one piece of fabric. While this
                design seemed strange to me, it did reduce the OneShot's weight and give it
                a very small footprint in my pack.

                6. How well to the two side windows ventilate the tent? Is the ventilation
                adequate enough to prevent condensation in the tent?  How easy/difficult is
                it to adjust the ventilation while in the tent?
                The two windows do ventilate and cool the tent. When they are shut, the
                temperature inside the OneShot is definitely several degrees warmer than the
                outside air. I consider this a big plus in colder areas, but it tended to
                work against me during the summer. I kept the windows open during the long
                term test phase in order to keep the temperatures down inside the OneShot,
                but I think that larger windows would have helped to cool the interior in
                hotter climates. I think the combination of the windows and the
                breathability of the Epic fabric are more than adequate to prevent
                condensation.
                CONSTRUCTION/DURABILITY:
                1. How well do the Epic canopy and the nylon floor hold up to serious use?
                No abuse here, just repeated stuffings and pitching in the course of hiking
                trips?
                I was always worried that I was going to snag the floor on a sticker vine of
                some sort, but it never happened. I brushed branches and all sorts of plants
                with the OneShot when I was setting it up and I have not seen a single sign
                of serious wear and tear. I stuffed it in the stuff sack, carried it without
                the stuff sack, and put the OneShot through many wet/dry cycles due to the
                weather and I think that it still looks brand new.

                2. How durable are the poles of this tent? Will they hold up to the repeated
                cycle of being put together and taken apart?
                I am amazed that the poles bend as much as they do, but hold up so well. My
                initial fear was that the amount of tension needed to put the poles in place
                was going to cause problems, but they have held up really well over the
                course of this test.

                3. How well does the zipper on the side door work? Will it jam, snag or
                break through normal usage?
                All the zippers on the OneShot have worked great. They slide really well and
                I have never had issues with them snagging me or the shelter body.
                Conclusions:
                The Black Diamond OneShot is a unique shelter in its design and function. I
                know that I have repeatedly cried about the fact that I would prefer a
                bigger vestibule for boot storage, but all in all, the OneShot is pretty
                impressive. It weighs just what I want a one man shelter to weigh an it
                takes up a much smaller spot in my pack than any other shelter I have
                carried. A lot of shelters make huge promises, but never quite deliver, but
                this was definitely not the case with the OneShot. While the design was
                different from what I had expected, its functionality and durability were
                excellent.

                Despite my issues with pitching this shelter, I can say that it kept me dry
                through one of the wettest summers I have ever seen here in Texas. If
                nothing else, the OneShot keeps the weather out and me happy on the inside.
                I can't ask for much more out of a one person shelter, especially when the
                shelter is as nice as the OneShot.
              • JimSabis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2007
                  In a message dated 7/31/2007 9:51:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  rdassetts@... writes:

                  The 19th July going by the test call Andrew.

                  Ralph

                  ###########

                  The call was extended and no other apps came in. Status is pending. Stay
                  tuned.

                  Jim S.

                  You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance. Without it
                  you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

                • gmail
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                    I am wondering that if there are enough applicants for the item why the
                    call is pending?
                    Are the quality of apps not up to par?

                    Thanks
                    Eager Andrew

                    On 8/1/2007 10:31:18 AM, jimsabis@... wrote:
                    > In a message dated 7/31/2007 9:51:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    > rdassetts@... [link: mailto:rdassetts@...]
                    > writes:
                    >
                    > The 19th July going by the test call Andrew.
                    >
                    > Ralph
                    >
                    > ###########
                    >
                    > The call was extended and no other apps came in. Status is pending. Stay
                    > tuned.
                    >
                    > Jim S.
                    >
                    > You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance.
                    Without
                    > it
                    > you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

                    > Messages in this topic [link: groups.yahoo.

                    com/group/backpackgeartesters/message/35589;_ylc=X3oDMTM3YTByaW8zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0NTc5MTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NgRtc2dJZAMzNjE5NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzExODU5MzU1MDQEdHBjSWQDMzU1ODk-

                    > ](0) Reply (via web post) [link: groups.yahoo.

                    com/group/backpackgeartesters/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJyZGZ2Y2xhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE0NTc5MTY1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2NTc4NgRtc2dJZAMzNjE5NwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzExODU5MzU1MDQ-

                    > ?act=reply&messageNum=36197]| Start a new topic [link: groups.yahoo.
                    > com/group/backp
                  • Edward Ripley-Duggan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                      Hello TV,

                      This looks good. Edits follow.

                      Best,

                      Ted.

                      >Long Term Report
                      >June 31, 2007
                      >CONDITIONS AND LOCATIONS:
                      >Night temperatures: 70 to 80 F (8 to 19 C)
                      >Location: Sam Houston National Forest
                      >Trip 1: 3 nights
                      >Trip 2: 2 nights
                      >
                      >Things finally heat up:
                      >My last couple of trips in the OneShot included more rain, but also some
                      >blazing summer heat for the first time during this test. I discovered that
                      >daytime temperatures in excess of 90 F ()

                      ### COMMENT: don't forget conversion

                      > make the OneShot more than a
                      >little unlivable during the day. Of course the problem of this shelter being
                      >an oven in the summer heat was made worse by the fact that most of my
                      >campsites along the LoneStar Trail were in open areas, which meant little or
                      >not

                      ### EDIT: no

                      > shade till late in the day.
                      >
                      >It was days like the one in the picture above where I pitched the tent in
                      >the late afternoon and went and walked under the trees till everything
                      >cooled off enough for me actually hide in the shelter. It was also on these
                      >warmer nights that I discovered that I had to keep both windows open for
                      >ventilation or I got way too hot for comfort.
                      >
                      >The good news was that even in the heat and rather high humidity (75% +) I
                      >still didn't have any condensation problems. The windows seem pretty small
                      >to provide all the ventilation needed to prevent condensation, so I have to
                      >believe that the Epic fabric lived up to its hype of being breathable.
                      >
                      >I would really like to have seen bigger zip open windows. More exposed mesh
                      >would have meant cooler nights in the Texas heat and would have made me just
                      >a bit happier. I would also have been able to watch what was going on
                      >around me while lying down, instead of having to sit up or prop myself up in
                      >order to peer out of a window.
                      >
                      >One other thing that I tried during this part of the test was carrying the
                      >OneShot without its stuff sack. I simply stuffed the shelter into my pack
                      >ontop

                      ### EDIT: on top

                      > of my sleeping bag and then put everything else in on top of it. This
                      >is the way that I normally carry my shelters, but I really think that I
                      >prefer putting the OneShot in its stuff sack. The stuffed shelter is so
                      >small, it just seems to take up much less room than when it is allowed free
                      >range privilages

                      ### EDIT: privileges

                      > in my pack.
                      >
                      >Questions answered:
                      >FIT:
                      >1. How much room is there inside the OneShot? Will it hold me, my pack,
                      >gear, and a sleeping pad?
                      >Yes, barely. I can get my pack, my boots, rain gear and other extras
                      >(including a pillow) into the OneShot, but it does get cramped inside very
                      >quickly. I preferred just to keep my sleeping pad, pillow, and sleeping bag
                      >inside with me, but due to the rain my boots were also a constant companion

                      ### COMMENT: constant companions (?)

                      >as well.
                      >
                      >2. How well do I fit through the door on this tent? Will it require any
                      >special contortionist skills to get in and out of?
                      >I had to crawl in and out, but the door opened wide and was easy for me to
                      >enter and exit through. I did learn that I needed to shake the OneShot from
                      >inside before I got out on rainy days to clear water off the top of the
                      >shelter. I also had to shake it off before I entered on rainy days because
                      >when I failed to do so, I got water on myself and inside the shelter.
                      >
                      >3. Can I really sit up in this tent? Black Diamond claims that I can and for
                      >many people (not me) sitting up is a feature that they can not do without in
                      >a shelter.
                      >I can sit up hunched over (with my legs crossed) facing one of the tent
                      >windows. My shoulders rub the sides when I try and sit up for any length of
                      >time facing the ends of the OneShot. So I can do it, but is not as
                      >comfortable as it sounds.
                      >
                      >USAGE:
                      >1. How much is the actual pack weight (tent, fly, poles, stakes)? How close
                      >is it to the claimed weight of 2 lb 5 oz (1.04 kg)?
                      >According to my measurements, the tent and poles came in just 1 oz ( )

                      ### EDIT: Conversion

> [...]
                      >I am amazed that the poles bend as much as they do, but hold up so well. My
                      >initial fear was that the amount of tension needed to put the poles in place
                      >was going to cause problems, but they have held up really well over the
                      >course of this test.
                      >
                      >3. How well does the zipper on the side door work? Will it jam, snag or
                      >break through normal usage?
                      >All the zippers on the OneShot have worked great. They slide really well and
                      >I have never had issues with them snagging me or the shelter body.
                      >Conclusions:
                      >The Black Diamond OneShot is a unique shelter in its design and function. I
                      >know that I have repeatedly cried about the fact that I would prefer a
                      >bigger vestibule for boot storage, but all in all, the OneShot is pretty
                      >impressive. It weighs just what I want a one man shelter to weigh an

                      ### EDIT: and

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                        In a message dated 8/1/2007 4:53:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        max.headroom.cacher@... writes:

                        I am wondering that if there are enough applicants for the item why the
                        call is pending?
                        Are the quality of apps not up to par?

                        Thanks
                        Eager Andrew

                        #############

                        Andrew,

                        It is not just a matter of the number and quality of apps, although those
                        are very important considerations. It is also a balancing act between tester
                        loads, demographics, experience, quality of past reports, etc., etc.

                        Having only a few apps actually makes the choices more difficult on
                        occasion. Technically, this call is still open. Stay tuned.....

                        Jim S.

                        "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
                        not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
                        alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
                        remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

                      • rayestrella1
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@... wrote:

                          > Technically, this call is still open. Stay tuned.....

                          So do you need more apps?

                          Ray
                        • JimSabis@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                            In a message dated 8/1/2007 5:23:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            rayestrella@... writes:

                            > Technically, this call is still open. Stay tuned.....

                            So do you need more apps?

                            Ray

                            ###########3

                            I'd really rather see some interest in the Outdoor Reaearch Airex call which
                            is also open.

                            Anybody?

                            Beuller?

                            Beuller?

                            Jim S.

                            You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance. Without it
                            you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

                          • tagnanidavid
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                              > I'm confused. I'm new, so that's not surprising. But how are we
                              supposed to now what test calls are current and open? The list on
                              backpackgeartest.org is not correct, and here on yahoo, the call for
                              the OR AirX sacks says its been closed for two weeks. Is it really
                              still open? I've been looking for something just like this . . . I'd
                              love to submit an app if it's still possible.

                              Dave

                              > ###########3
                              >
                              > I'd really rather see some interest in the Outdoor Reaearch Airex
                              call which
                              > is also open.
                              >
                              > Anybody?
                              >
                              > Beuller?
                              >
                              > Beuller?
                              >

                              > Jim S.
                              >
                              > You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance.
                              Without it
                              > you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

                            • Jason Boyle
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
                                David,

                                That is a good question. Normally test calls are open for one week
                                from the date of the call. However, this test call has turned into a
                                special case with not enough applications so it has been extended..
                                we normally extend calls for a week or a few days. Since Jim has
                                asked for more applications my recommendation would be to apply.

                                Jason B

                                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "tagnanidavid"
                                <dtagnani@...> wrote:

                                > > I'm confused. I'm new, so that's not surprising. But how are we
                                > supposed to now what test calls are current and open? The list on
                                > backpackgeartest.org is not correct, and here on yahoo, the call for
                                > the OR AirX sacks says its been closed for two weeks. Is it really
                                > still open? I've been looking for something just like this . . . I'd
                                > love to submit an app if it's still possible.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                > >
                                > > ###########3
                                > >
                                > > I'd really rather see some interest in the Outdoor Reaearch Airex
                                > call which
                                > > is also open.
                                > >
                                > > Anybody?
                                > >
                                > > Beuller?
                                > >
                                > > Beuller?
                                > >

                                > > Jim S.
                                > >
                                > > You do not realize enough that your attention is your only chance.
                                > Without it
                                > > you can do nothing. - Jeanne de Salzmann

                              • Andrew Priest
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 4, 2007
                                  Andrew

                                  From the posting you quoted, "Test call will close midnite Thursday
                                  7/13/07, Yahoo time." :-)

                                  Andrew, sir

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 5, 2007
                                    In a message dated 8/4/2007 6:52:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    apriest@... writes:

                                    Andrew

                                    From the posting you quoted, "Test call will close midnite Thursday
                                    7/13/07, Yahoo time." :-)

                                    Andrew, sir

                                    True, but it was extended. The Closing Notice was posted last Wednesday, IIRC.