FR: Columbia Venture Pants - Pat McNeilly

  • Pat McNeilly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 9:16 PM
      FR: Columbia Venture Pants - Pat McNeilly

      Below is the text version of my FR for the Columbia Venture Pants. The
      html version can be found in the test folder at
      http://tinyurl.com/3a9ppa <http://tinyurl.com/3a9ppa>

      I look forward to any edits.

      Pat

      Field Report
      Report Date: July 2, 2007

      Field Information:
      I have worn the Columbia Venture pants on two day hikes in central
      Maryland and a three day backpacking trip in the Monongahela National
      Forest of West Virginia. The weather conditions included temperatures
      45-80 F (7-27 C) and I encountered fairly dry conditions with only small
      amounts of rain. These hikes were strictly done on trails with only
      moderate amounts of rock. The elevations ranged from 300-4800 ft
      (90-1460 m) on these trips.

      I gave the pants a workout at an orienteering event in Maryland where I
      actually ran through the course in the pants. The temperature that day
      reached 85 F (29 C) after starting out much cooler [approximately 60 F
      (16 C)]. I have also worn the pants around town while running errands
      and to other outdoor events.

      Product Review:
      When I initially received the Columbia Venture pants I was pleased with
      them but after wearing the pants for a couple of months, I am finding
      the good and bad points. In general, the fit is good but I find that
      the pants are somewhat tight through the seat. I have found this more
      noticeable when I have items in the pockets, particularly the back
      pockets. This hasn't produced any problems such as excess chaffing
      but is noticeable. I don't believe this is an overall size issue
      since I feel the waist and inseam size are just about right. From now
      on when I hike in these pants, I will try to keep larger items (e.g.,
      wallet, keys) in a pack or in the side pockets to provide as much room
      as possible.

      I was caught at one point in a rainstorm while in town and I found that
      the Omni Dry fabric does seem to dry quickly. I noticed this as well
      when wearing the pants on hikes where I had worked up a sweat and noted
      that the fabric dried out nicely.

      The lateral leg zippers work well but I had some trouble with the right
      leg zipper sticking which I attribute to dirt in the zipper from mud on
      the trail. The outside leg zippers are long enough to allow for easy
      removal of the legs while wearing sneakers and trail shoes, but I have
      trouble removing them when wearing boots. I found removing the legs
      very useful, particularly at the orienteering event I noted above where
      the temperatures over the course of the day required that I go from long
      pants to shorts. The zippers which attach the lower leg sections work
      easily. When re-attaching the lower sections, I found that I have to
      pay close attention to which leg I am working with because the zippers
      are aligned specifically for each leg. The problem is that if I am not
      paying attention, I might try to attach the lower section of the left
      leg onto the right leg and find that the zippers don't match up.

      I have found a couple of problems with some of the pockets on the
      Venture Pants. I found that since the back pockets do not have any flap
      over them, debris has a tendency to collect in them. I found this to be
      true even though the pocket was closed with the hook and loop closure.
      I also find that the small cord on the zippered front pocket is situated
      in such a way that I frequently catch my finger in the loop while
      reaching into the pocket which is very annoying.

      I have laundered these pants a number of times and at this point I have
      not noticed any problems with loosening of threads or other problems
      with the fabric.

      This concludes my Field Report. The Long-Term Report should be
      completed by September 18, 2007. Please check back then for additional
      information.

      convert from long pants to shorts using zippers on the legs. The Omni
      Dry fabric is soft, comfortable, and dries quickly. In general, the
      pants have a good fit with the exception of being a bit tight through
      the seat.

      Things I like:

      1. Quick drying fabric
      2. Easy on and off legs

      Things I don't like:

      1. Tight fit through seat
      2. No flaps on back pockets
      3. Front zippered pocket cord

      I would like to thank Columbia Sportswear and BackpackGearTest.org for
      the opportunity to test this item.

    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 6:28 AM
        FR: Columbia Venture Pants - Pat McNeilly

        Hi Pat,
        HTML looks good, link still works.
        NO edit suggestions.
        Carol, Monitor
      • Pat McNeilly
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 2:14 PM
          Re: EDIT: FR: Columbia Venture Pants - Pat McNeilly

          Hi Carol,

          Thanks for the edits and the quick turnaround. All done and uploaded.

          Pat

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "cmcrooker" <carol@...>