IR - Primus ETAPower EF Stove - Tim Tessier

  • Tim Tessier
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
      For your editing pleasure please find my Initial Report on the Primus
      ETAPower Stove.

      The report has been uploaded into the test folder and can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Primus%20ETAPowe\
      r%20EF%20Stove%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20Primus%20ETAPow\
      er%20EF%20Stove%20-%20Tim%20Tessier/>

      The text version of my review follows:

      PRIMUS ETA POWER STOVE
      TEST SERIES BY TIM TESSIER
      IR
      June 30, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Tim Tessier
      EMAIL: timothy_tessier@... <mailto:timothy_tessier@...>
      AGE: 50
      LOCATION: Greensboro NC
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      WEIGHT: 215 lb (97.50 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I hiked as a child with my father and started
      hiking with my now 15 year old son 7 years ago. We now routinely take
      20 mile weekend hikes (2 nights) approximately once a month year round.
      Additionally, we take one, 5 - 7 day extended trip each summer. Most of
      our hiking is done in North Carolina, southern Virginia, Tennessee,
      Kentucky, and West Virginia. We go regardless of weather so we have
      experience in all types of conditions. We do not tend to travel very
      light, with a typical pack weight of 25 lb (11.3 kg) exclusive of food.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Primus AB, Sweden
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Manufacturer's Website: <<www.primus.se <http://www.primus.se> >>
      MSRP: Not listed. Available at various US retailers for $110.00
      Listed Weight: 29 oz (822 g)
      Measured Weight: 37.5 oz (1063 g) See below
      Other details:

      Primus AB is one of the most venerable names in outdoor adventure gear.
      Though they've been around since 1892, they continue to offer well
      thought-out, technically superior stoves, lanterns, and more recently,
      headlights. The ETA Power EF Stove, or more accurately cooking system,
      continues this tradition.

      The ETA Stove actually consists of several key components. These
      include a stove burner with base and attached hose, a wind-screen that
      attaches to the base, the ETA Power Pot with built in heat exchanger, a
      frying pan that doubles as a lid, and a pot gripper, as well as a
      multi-tool repair tool. All of this comes contained in an insulated
      carrying case that, according to the manufacturer, doubles as a cozy
      that allows you to keep one part of your dinner hot, while preparing the
      balance of your meal.

      One aspect of the ETAPower Stove that startled me was the size and
      weight. The carrying case I measured to be 5.12 " high and roughly 9"
      in diameter. This will be larger than my tent and will represent a good
      chunk of my pack's capacity. Additionally, though the literature lists
      the weight at 29 oz. (830 g), I measured it at a whopping 37.5 oz (1063
      g). In order to understand the difference I weighed and measured the
      components seperately.

      Measured
      Wt. Ht./Diameter
      Stove Burner and Base 8.5 oz (241 g)
      2.3" (58 mm)/ 6" (152 mm)
      ETAPower Pot 9 oz (255 g)
      4.25" (108 mm)/ 7.5" (191 mm)
      Frying Pan/Lid 4.5 oz (128 g)
      1.4" (35.5 mm)/ 8.5 " (216 mm)
      Wind Deflector 4.5 oz (128 g)
      2.25" (57 mm)/ 8.25 " (210 mm ) top

      6.5" (165 mm) bottom (bowl shape)

      Pot Grabbers, multi-tool, cloth add approx. 2.5 oz (71 g) for a grand
      total of 29 oz (822 g), the stated weight of the product. However, a
      key element of the system is the insulated carrying case which weighs an
      additional 8.5 oz (241 g). Primus describes the value of the insulated
      carrying case in both their literature and the promotional video on
      their website. Since Primus makes it very clear that the insulated
      case is a significant part of the value of the product it seems
      disingenuous to then NOT include the weight of the case in the stated
      weight of the product.

      That aside the stove itself is an LP cannister fuel stove which fits
      into a base which has foldable pot supports. The burner assembly has a
      bracket that clips into the base, providing a stable platform. The
      burner is approximately 1 " (25 mm) in diameter. It connects to the LP
      gas cannister via a metal hose approximately 12" (305 mm) in length.
      One excellent feature of this stove is the Piezo lighter which
      eliminates the need to use a match or lighter to light the stove.

      The burner and pot supports are manufactured of steel, with copper
      tubing and fittings. The base, pot, pan and wind deflector are all
      constructed of anodized aluminum. The pot and pan are both lined with a
      non-stick coating of titanium. This should be quite durable which I
      will thoroughly test over the course of the test series.

      The insulated case appears to be made of nylon and has a zippered lid.
      There is also a zippered compartment in the lid which will hold the
      multi-tool.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      My initial impression of this product is quite favorable. The product
      comes packed in a simple four-color corrugated box. Each component is
      enclosed in a plastic bag within the case.

      The first thing you see is, of course, the insulated case. The Primus
      logo is imprinted on the top of the black case, creating an attractive
      first impression. As you unpack you find the pan on top. Lifting this
      out you find the burner, base, potgrabbers, multi-tool contained within
      the ETA pot. On the bottom is the windscreen with the ETA pot inside.
      This nesting arrangement allows everything to fit neatly into one case.
      The promotional video produced by Primus shows that this arrangement
      will also allow a small cannister of fuel to stored in the case as
      well. As I only have a large cannister on hand I have not had an
      opportunity to test this.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "The full ETA
      Power system">>

      Assembly is straightforward. Simply clip the burner onto the bottom of
      the base, fold down the pot holders, attach the gas cannister and you
      are good to go. To light you simply turn on the gas via the black knob
      on the gas cannister connector, and press the trigger on the Piezo
      lighter. On my initial test it took exactly one click of the Piezo
      lighter to light the stove. The stove immediately produced a hot flame
      and a nice roaring sound.

      The wind screen is placed onto the base and is rotated approx. 30
      degrees to lock into place. The wind screen is designed to use only
      with the ETA pot which features an aluminum heat exchanger which vaguely
      resembles a strip of corrugated cardboard around the outer rim of the
      pot. The pot features measures on the side at .2 litre intervals. The
      pan will fit neatly over the top of the ETA pot as a lid. However, if
      you put it upside down, which would seem normal for a lid, there is no
      way to lift it with the pot grabbers. On my initial test run I found it
      was better to use it right side up so that you can easily lift it off.

      The fit and finish of every element of this product is beyond reporach.
      It is visually attractive, each part fits neatly together as intended.
      Upon careful examination I was not able to find one flaw in the finish
      of any part of it. The titanium surface on the interior surfaces of the
      pot and pan is flawless in every respect. The potgrabbers have small
      black rubber pads so that you will not take a chance on scratching the
      interior surfaces of the pot when using them. This attention to detail
      is evident throughout this product.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instructions come on plain white newsprint, printed in black.
      Printed in eleven different languages, they are very straightforward and
      easy to follow. I was pleased to find that the instructions were
      specifically for this product. Many times manufacturers cut costs by
      making one set of instructions for multiple products. It is much easier
      to follow instructions made for one and only one model.

      The instructions come in three basic parts. The first is the standard
      safety warnings. The second covers usage and assembly of the stove.
      The third covers maintenance, service, and repair of the product.

      I found the assembly instructions to be straightforward and that the
      illustrations were both illuminating and accurate. I will test the
      accuracy of the maintenance and repair section during the course of the
      test series.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Initially we set the stove up on our back porch and simply put a litre
      of water on it to test it out. I set the stove up per the instructions,
      poured one litre of water in the ETA pot, and ignited the stove. As I
      set the pot on the stove I hit checked my watch. 2 minutes, 15 seconds
      later the water was at a rolling boil. Impressive, to say the least.

      To truly test the stove we took it on a picnic to the Blue Ridge Parkway
      near Boone NC. We planned a meal of Pasta with Salmon and Sundried
      Tomatoes. This would give me an opportunity to test the boil time as
      well as a low temperature simmer.

      First, I set the stove up. I had intentionally left the instructions at
      home. Without a hitch I connected the gas, installed the windscreen,
      and in very short order had the stove up and running. First step, boil
      the pasta. I turned the stove all the way up full jet mode and, again,
      in just over two minutes had 1.5 litres of water at a rolling boil.
      Adding the pasta I reduced the heat slightly and kept it boiling for the
      requisite 16 minutes. We had also brought some bread and olive oil. I
      chopped some garlic and rosemary and added it to a bit of the olive oil
      in the frying pan. I placed this on top of the pan of boiling water and
      in no time had warm dipping sauce for the bread.

      When the pasta was cooked I took it off the stove using the pot grabbers
      and placed it in the carrying case, using it as a cozy as advertised.
      The cozy has a notch approximately 1" (25 mm) deep in the front. When I
      first saw it I was curious as to it's function. However, as I started
      to place the pot in the cozy it became clear. The notch perfectly fits
      the pot grabbers when they are holding the pot so that you can easily
      and neatly set the pot into the cozy. This is another example of the
      attention to detail evident throughout this product.

      The directions clearly say (in bold print) not to attempt to use the
      windscreen with anything but the ETA pot. So, in order to remove it I
      turned the gas off. I gently touched the base of the stove with my
      knuckle in order to see if it was still too hot to handle. To my
      surprise it was cool to the touch. I tested the windscreen and found
      the same to be true. I removed the windscreen and again, with one touch
      of the button, relit the stove.

      I turned the stove down to a low simmer and placed the pan on it with
      olive oil, garlic, rosemary and sun-dried tomatoes. After heating these
      ingredients I added salmon to the mix and continued to stir it together.
      The stove maintained an even, steady, low heat for several minutes while
      I prepared this portion of the meal. I had absolutely no indication
      that it would not keep up this simmer all day if required.

      We then drained the pasta and added the mixture from the pan. Bon
      Appetit!

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Bon Appetit">>

      This stove is incredible. It seamlessly goes from a full out boil to a
      low simmer. It is easy to reconfigure and is designed in such a way
      that the base and the windscreen don't get hot so they can be handled
      almost immediately after use. Every element of the system seems to work
      perfectly.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will be using this stove over the next several months in every
      conceivable weather condition and in preparing a wide variety of meals.
      We will be using this stove many times and will fully test it's
      durability. It's one thing to work perfectly when first out of the box,
      it's quite another to work properly several months later with dozens,
      possibly hundreds of hours on it.

      I will make a point to repair and clean the stove per the instructions
      in the enclosed documentation. Primus claims that the design of the ETA
      pot will make any stove run more efficiently. I will test this claim as
      well, as trying other cookware on the ETA stove.

      This concludes my initial report. Please check back in two months for a
      more complete review.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.

    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
        Hi Tim,

        Here are the initial edits for your stove report. While normally one
        set of edits is all we do for reports I would like to see it after
        revision as there is a lot of work that needs to be done. I will
        watch for it.

        Ray

        EDIT: must be changed

        ***Manufacturer's Website: >

        EDIT: you need the manufacturer's URL to be here, and be clickable

        ***MSRP: Not listed. Available at various US retailers for $110.00

        EDIT: just put N/A, or mot listed. No reference to other retailers
        please.

        ***Primus AB is one of the most venerable names in outdoor adventure
        gear. Though they've been around since 1892, they continue to offer
        well thought-out, technically superior stoves, lanterns, and more
        recently, headlights. The ETA Power EF Stove, or more accurately
        cooking system, continues this tradition.

        EDIT: we are testing a product, not shilling for a company. Please
        keep your report focused on the stove, and it alone. This needs to be
        removed please.

        ***All of this comes contained in an insulated carrying case that,
        according to the manufacturer, doubles as a cozy that allows you to
        keep one part of your dinner hot, while preparing the balance of your
        meal.

        EDIT: Do you remember the "projection" lectures from your OR writing?
        Well that is the same here. We need to keep the report in the first
        person. References to "you" and "your" need to be changed to "me"
        or "I". There is a lot of this in the report. Please do a search-and-
        destroy on them all.

        ***The carrying case I measured to be 5.12 " high and roughly 9" in
        diameter.

        EDIT: metric conversions please

        ***In order to understand the difference I weighed and measured the
        components seperately.

        EDIT: separately

        ***However, a key element of the system is the insulated carrying
        case which weighs an additional 8.5 oz (241 g). Primus describes the
        value of the insulated carrying case in both their literature and the
        promotional video on their website. Since Primus makes it very clear
        that the insulated case is a significant part of the value of the
        product it seems disingenuous to then NOT include the weight of the
        case in the stated weight of the product.

        Comment: but it is NOT a part of the stove. Sleeping bags give the
        weight sans stuff sack too. It is very common.

        ***That aside the stove itself is an LP cannister fuel stove

        EDIT: "canister", you have it misspelled throughout the review,
        please check.

        ***One excellent feature of this stove is the Piezo lighter which
        eliminates the need to use a match or lighter to light the stove.

        Edit: I would wait to state that it eliminates the need for matches
        until you get done with the test. I just had to resort to them with a
        Primus Micron this week.

        ***This should be quite durable which I will thoroughly test over the
        course of the test series.

        EDIT: you are projecting that it should be durable. How about just
        waiting to report later whether it is or not?

        ***The promotional video produced by Primus shows that this
        arrangement will also allow a small cannister of fuel to stored in
        the case as well.

        EDIT: ┬ůsmall "canister" of fuel to "be" stored in the case┬ů

        ***The pot features measures on the side at .2 litre intervals.

        EDIT: "liter" and needs imperial conversions

        ***The fit and finish of every element of this product is beyond
        reporach.

        EDIT: reproach

        ***Initially we set the stove up on our back porch and simply put a
        litre of water

        EDIT: liter, all instances please

        ***As I set the pot on the stove I hit checked my watch.

        EDIT: delete "hit"

        ***2 minutes, 15 seconds later the water was at a rolling boil.

        Edit: you should also put down the water temperature, ambient
        temperature and elevation here as it would all have an effect on the
        test boil.

        ***To truly test the stove we took it on a picnic to the Blue Ridge
        Parkway near Boone NC.

        EDIT: need to spell out the state

        ***We had also brought some bread and olive oil. I chopped some
        garlic and rosemary and added it to a bit of the olive oil in the
        frying pan. I placed this on top of the pan of boiling water and in
        no time had warm dipping sauce for the bread.

        Comment: I like the way you think. (Now I am hungry.)

        ***When I first saw it I was curious as to it's function.

        EDIT: its

        ***We will be using this stove many times and will fully test it's
        durability.

        EDIT: its

        ***Primus claims that the design of the ETA pot will make any stove
        run more efficiently. I will test this claim as well, as trying other
        cookware on the ETA stove.

        EDIT: we are testing the stove system itself, not other stoves with
        the pot or vice-versa.
      • richardglyon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
          Ray,
          I think I know the point Tim was trying to make, especially since I
          intended to make a similar comment after some field results. His
          point is that Primus's listed weight doesn't include the carrying
          case and is thus somewhat misleading. Primus should either say that
          the weight doesn't include the case or include it in the system
          weight. Primus pitches the ETA as a system and (as Tim points out)
          identifies several kitchen functions that the case serves beyond
          storage: pot holder, cozy, place to store the tool. If Primus had
          not included the weight of the frying pan because it's not necessary
          to boil water I'd take issue, and I think that it's the same with
          the case. Let me know your thoughts so that I can plan accordingly.
          I do intend to test the functionality of the case and so far it's
          proven useful as a cozy. Richard
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "rayestrella1"
          <rayestrella@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tim,
          >
          > Here are the initial edits for your stove report. While normally
          one
          > set of edits is all we do for reports I would like to see it after
          > revision as there is a lot of work that needs to be done. I will
          > watch for it.
          >
          > Ray
          >

          > ***However, a key element of the system is the insulated carrying
          > case which weighs an additional 8.5 oz (241 g). Primus describes
          the
          > value of the insulated carrying case in both their literature and
          the
          > promotional video on their website. Since Primus makes it very
          clear
          > that the insulated case is a significant part of the value of the
          > product it seems disingenuous to then NOT include the weight of
          the
          > case in the stated weight of the product.
          >
          > Comment: but it is NOT a part of the stove. Sleeping bags give the
          > weight sans stuff sack too. It is very common.

        • Jason Boyle
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
            I agree with Richard and Tim,

            I think we should mention it, but the weight shouldn't be the
            entire report, just a sentence or two. We have it in black and white
            that they are too heavy. I have not read Tim or Richard's reports,
            but if we keep weight to a couple of sentences that should be fine.

            Jason B

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon"

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
              <rlyon@...> wrote:

              > Ray,
              > I think I know the point Tim was trying to make, especially since I
              > intended to make a similar comment <snip> Let me know your thoughts
              > so that I can plan accordingly.
              > I do intend to test the functionality of the case and so far it's
              > proven useful as a cozy.

              Hi Richard,

              I put that as a Comment not an Edit. Many companies put the weight of
              the actual item, not the storage case and sacks and such. If you read
              my reviews you will notice that I always give the actual weights and
              then later in the review will say that "the xx oz (xx g) storage acse
              is made of..." That way I get it in there that it is extra weight
              without calling the manufacturer to bat. When weights of the actual
              item are off I let them have it though.

              Ray
            • richardglyon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2007
                Ray,
                Yes, that's similar to the point I was trying to make. Thanks,
                <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon"
                > <rlyon@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Ray,
                > > I think I know the point Tim was trying to make, especially
                since I
                > > intended to make a similar comment <snip> Let me know your
                thoughts
                > > so that I can plan accordingly.
                > > I do intend to test the functionality of the case and so far
                it's
                > > proven useful as a cozy.
                >
                > Hi Richard,
                >
                > I put that as a Comment not an Edit. Many companies put the weight
                of
                > the actual item, not the storage case and sacks and such. If you
                read
                > my reviews you will notice that I always give the actual weights
                and
                > then later in the review will say that "the xx oz (xx g) storage
                acse
                > is made of..." That way I get it in there that it is extra weight
                > without calling the manufacturer to bat. When weights of the
                actual
                > item are off I let them have it though.
                >
                > Ray

              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007
                  G'day

                  Jumping in late here. Is the case part of the system? If yes, it should be
                  included in the testers weight and manufacturer should be pinged for not
                  including it. It is the same case as tent manufacturers leaving out pegs,
                  poles etc to present a "lower weight." Our reported test weight should be
                  as normally used.

                  Regards
                  Andrew

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2007
                    I'm going to have to chime in with Jason. It isn't like a sleeping bag stuff
                    sack. The manufacturer is the one that says it is an important part of the
                    system. Like Jason, I think a sentence or two explaining this and it's
                    weight is sufficient.

                    Jerry

                    reviews and tests on the planet.

                    > I think I know the point Tim was trying to make, especially since I
                    > intended to make a similar comment <snip> Let me know your thoughts so
                    > that I can plan accordingly.
                    > I do intend to test the functionality of the case and so far it's
                    > proven useful as a cozy.

                    Hi Richard,

                    I put that as a Comment not an Edit. Many companies put the weight of the
                    actual item, not the storage case and sacks and such. If you read my reviews
                    you will notice that I always give the actual weights and then later in the
                    review will say that "the xx oz (xx g) storage acse is made of..." That way
                    I get it in there that it is extra weight without calling the manufacturer
                    to bat. When weights of the actual item are off I let them have it though.

                    Ray

                    Yahoo! Groups Links