IR Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets - Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo Ann Moffi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2007
      Here's my IR for editing:

      Jo Ann

      INITIAL REPORT: June 2, 2007

      Name Jo Ann Moffi
      Age 33
      Gender Female
      Height 168 cm (5 ft 6 in)
      Weight 84 kg (185 lbs)
      Email Address jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

      Backpacking Background:
      I was introduced to backpacking about 15 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities ever since. We
      live in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of time in both
      countries for our outdoor excursions. When making a decision on gear,
      I like to go lightweight and practical. I don't like to carry around
      extraneous bits and pieces.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Aquamira Technologies, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      MSRP: 12 Pack: $7.95 USD, 24 Pack: $13.95 USD
      Listed Weight: 24 Tablet Pack: 10 g (0.34 oz)
      Actual Weight: 24 Tablet Pack 20 g (0.7 oz)
      Note Regarding Weight of Product: The Aquamira website indicates the
      24 pack weighs 20 g (0.7 oz), but the weight listed on the packages I
      received indicates the weight is 10 g (0.34 oz). I would guess the
      package is the error as the weight I got on my scale matches that on
      the website.
      Active Ingredients: Sodium Chloride 6.4%, Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate
      Dihydrate 1.0%
      Remainder of the ingredients (92.6%) are listed as 'Inert Ingredients'.

      Item Received: May 29, 2007

      Each package I received contains 24 tablets individually wrapped in
      sheets of six tablets for a total of 4 sheets. Each package has a
      Ziplock closure. I was easily able to open the package by just tearing
      across the top, but to separate each individual tablet in the sheets I
      needed to use scissors. A knife would also have done the job.

      Each package also contained a sheet with First Aid instructions,
      Precautionary Statements, Physical/Chemical Hazards, and Storage and
      Disposal instructions for the tablets. I find it interesting that a
      water treatment product could be as potentially harmful as indicated
      on this instruction sheet. I realize the manufacturer intends the
      instructions to be applicable to the tablets themselves and not the
      treated water, but if I followed the directions on the instruction
      sheet for handling the tablets, I would need to bring safety glasses,
      protective clothing, and rubber gloves with me on a backpacking trip.
      In other words to avoid having to bring such protective gear, I will
      be avoiding touching the tablets themselves when putting them into the
      water I'm treating. The tablets are also toxic to fish and other
      aquatic organisms, so dumping any un-used treated water into aquatic
      environments is a no-no too.

      The tablets are easily stored inside my pack, they are very compact
      and lightweight. They lend themselves easily to carrying in my
      daypack, hydration pack, and multi-day backpack.

      Directions for Use: Use one tablet per 1 L (34 oz) of contaminated
      water. Open package with a knife or scissors and quickly put the
      tablet into the water needing treatment. Place in an area away from
      direct sunlight for 4 hours to create a solution of 4 ppm chloride

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Long Term Report will be
      amended to this report in approximately two months from the date of
      this report. Please check back then for further information.

      Thank you to Aquamira Technologies, Inc. and BackpackGearTest for the
      privilege of testing this water treatment option.