Re: FIELD REPORT - ULA Amp Backpack - Andy Mytys

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
      Thanks Rick.

      I'm one of those people that believes the CORRECT photo can be worth
      AT LEAST 1000 words and, more importantly, answer a score of questions.

      Personally, I can glean a lot of information merging my past
      experiences with photos, so I really appreciate detailed photos of
      products (with good lighting) and I find myself yelling at the
      computer when there's a either a tiny photo present or a photo that
      could have answered my questions had the lighting had been muted.

      It is especially annoying when bad photos are on manufacturer sites,
      which happens quite often (I think quality product photos in our
      reports is another benefit of BGT - often we have better photos than
      the manufacturer). A recent example is the AntiGravityGear tarptent -
      their photos are limited, small, and taken with the high noon sun in
      the air so they're very contrasty. Compare any of our photos with
      theirs and ask yourself which you prefer.

      I do wish that we had minimum size requirements on BGT photos as well,
      to make sure that ALL of our photos were useful to the reader -
      something like 300 pixels on the dominant axis.

      But, I digress.

      What I really like about our reports is the information received when
      taken as a whole. In my reports, there are a lot of close-up images
      of product details, while in your reports there's that great image of
      the pack on your back (gives perspective as to how large it is), the
      image of your gear layed out (gives perspective as to how much stuff
      can be packed inside), and other details presented that just aren't in
      my report, or in Carol's.

      I only hope that the text of my report is as enjoyable and informative
      as the photos. I try to keep my IR descriptive, and my field report
      limited to the performance of the gear and how I actually used it.

      In the end, I focus on answering the question - "Should I buy this
      item?" without explicitly rating the item or saying "Yes" or "No." -
      I want to provide the reader with enough detail to where they can make
      the decision on their own as to the product's suitability for their
      situation such that, if they do purchase it, they don't find
      themselves wishing they hadn't. In the end, that's what we're all
      about, no?

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20ULA%20Amp%20-%20amytys