Re: General question on water treatment

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      Obviously I'm not involved in this test but I thought one of Andy's
      comments was not completely accurate and I decided to toss my 2 cents
      in. I don't think waiting 4 hours for a water treatment to work is
      something outside of the backpacking relm. An example of such is
      quite common here in the desert where we regularly hike for several
      miles in dry country to end up camping at a water source. With a
      situation like this the water treatment happens at camp so waiting 4
      hours is not all that big of a hardship.

      I do agree with Andy that the testers shouldn't focus so much on why 4
      hours is a PITB, though. This is just how this product is designed to
      work. A comment or two on having to wait might be appropriate but not
      anything beyond that.

      Jamie D

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@...>
      wrote:

      > In light of this, I think reports should focus on things like ease of
      > use, aftertaste of water, etc. rather than "how I got around the
      > 4-hour wait time by carrying way more water than I would have needed
      > to if I was using a filter, boiling, or some other chemical
      > alternative." Focusing on using this product while backpacking makes
      > us look like idiots, IMO, because we've selected the wrong product in
      > the first place.
      >
      > Of course, this is just MY view.

    • pamwyant
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        I'm going to step in here too. I am surprised none of our water
        treatment gurus have spoke up. Nearly all chemical treatment methods
        may take up to 4 hours for protozoa/cysts, depending on water
        temperature and clarity. Read the back of Aqua Mira drops. I don't
        have any on hand, and can't find it readily on the website, but as I
        best recall it states it can take up to four hours for cysts. Read
        the labels of Iodine treatments. From the Potable Aqua
        website: "Potable Aqua is not effective against cryptosporidium
        cysts."

        Compare apples to apples. Potential long treatment time is one
        drawback of chemical methods.

        Pam Wyant
      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
          Actually, the only thing that Aqua Mira says is that "If water is very
          cold, cloudy or tinted let stand 30 minutes."

          I can't say for sure if its affective against cryptosporidium,
          tapeworms, or viruses. I do know it works against Giardia.

          I must admit that I find it more that slightly troubling that I can't
          find any official information on the web as to what exactly Aqua Mira
          is good for, beyond making water "taste better" in some cases,
          preserving stored water, and killing bacteria in water.

          I wish that these chemical oompanies had disclosure to the level of
          filters, where you're told what the product works on and, more
          importantly, what it doesn't work on.

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "pamwyant" <pamwyant@...>
          wrote:

          > I'm going to step in here too. I am surprised none of our water
          > treatment gurus have spoke up. Nearly all chemical treatment methods
          > may take up to 4 hours for protozoa/cysts, depending on water
          > temperature and clarity. Read the back of Aqua Mira drops. I don't
          > have any on hand, and can't find it readily on the website, but as I
          > best recall it states it can take up to four hours for cysts. Read
          > the labels of Iodine treatments. From the Potable Aqua
          > website: "Potable Aqua is not effective against cryptosporidium
          > cysts."
          >

          > Compare apples to apples. Potential long treatment time is one
          > drawback of chemical methods.
          >
          > Pam Wyant

        • S
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
            It's easy to tell what exactly can be caught by a filter making filter "disclosure" easy. Either
            the critters are bigger than the filter or they're not. For instance, giardia are pretty huge,
            so just a filter works well grabbing most of them. There's going to be more variability with
            the chemical treatments: which chemical treatment is used, water temperature, pH, water
            chemistry. Iodine is really common, I've used it a bunch, but it tastes gross. In addition to
            tasting better than iodine treatments, chlorine dioxide solutions (e.g. Aqua Mira) are
            actually quite effective against cryptosporidium, unlike the iodine products. When you get
            down to the tiny viruses, typical filters are useless. Even chemical treatments aren't great.
            In fact, many viruses survive even big city chemical treatment plants. They are best
            inactivated by boiling the water, if viruses are even a problem where you're hiking (they're
            no biggie in the Sierras). Sorry, I know nothing about tapeworms. Maybe the eggs are big
            enough to get caught in a typical 0.2 micron filter?? UV treatment kills off all sorts of stuff.
            I take advantage of that by filtering surface water from lakes (or just under the surface if
            there's a lot of pollen or other floaties). A nice double-death-whammy.