Re: [backpackgeartesters] IR - SkirtSports GymGirl - Colleen Porter

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      I don't understand completely! ;-) I don't think they make cameras
      without a self timer any more do they? I take 99% of my own pictures...
      via timer or with my long arms!

      Edits to come shortly...

      Jet

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
        Initial Report: SkirtSports, Inc. GymGirl 2-pocket skirt
        Tester: Colleen Porter

        Hi Colleen! You got a PINK SkirtSports skirt and have no pictures! I
        guess sometimes life is unfair. But thank you for your thorough and well
        done report just the same. I have just a few nit picky things for you,
        and a few spacing issues, and then you are good to go. Once you have seen
        to the edits below... you are free to upload to the appropriate folder,
        which should be under something like: Reviews >
        Clothing > Skirts and Kilts > SkirtSports GymGirl SportsSkirt.

        Also, please fix the manufacturers link which currently seems to point to:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/SkirtSports%20GymGirl%20IR%20Colleen/www.skirtsports.com

        Thanks again for an excellent report, Colleen. It looks like this should
        be a fun test!

        James E. Triplett
        Skirt (Sports) Monitor

        Tested Weight: 4.85 oz/137 g(size Medium)
        [EDIT] Just housekeeping? but could you put a space before "(size"?

        Tested Color: Pink Crush
        [COMMENT] You've gotta take a picture! :-)

        There are small x in/x cm slits on either side of the skirt,
        [EDIT] You'll probably want to put actual numbers in here?
        [COMMENT] In my humble opinion, "in" should not be used as an
        abbreviation because "in" is also a word. This was particularly confusing
        with "x in", although I realize now that a dimension will replace the x.
        But it's your call? not a requirement? just your monitor spouting off.

        Anticipated Field Conditions: Summer is hard upon us here in southern
        California.
        [EDIT] I always have doubts on this one? but I'm pretty sure "southern"
        should be capitalized in this case as it is part of a proper noun.

        whether or not it will shine as a backpacking skirt remains to be seen.
        [EDIT] Capitalize "whether"

        First, the fabrics. The skirt itself is light, a nylon/spandex knit that
        flows nicely and feels great.
        [EDIT] Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "a" is in the wrong
        place. Do you mean "The skirt itself is a light, nylon/spandex knit"?

        The shorties are also comfortable, not tight or constricting.
        [EDIT] I'm seeing 2 spaces before "comfortable"

        but the mesh fabric is so soft and stretchy that I don't notice until I
        look at them.And for pure vanity's sake,
        [EDIT] It looks like a space is needed in "them.And"

      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
          yeah, i'm searching for my ancient, dusty tripod. i know it's in the
          attic somewhere... i really wanted an "action" shot, at least me
          running on the trail behind my house. there will be absolutely no
          photos of me modeling it in my messy messy messy house. :)

          -colleen

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, jetriple@... wrote:

          > I don't understand completely! ;-) I don't think they make cameras
          > without a self timer any more do they? I take 99% of my own
          pictures...
          > via timer or with my long arms!
          >
          > Edits to come shortly...
          >
          > Jet
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
            >I understand completely....when he (my 5 year old boy)
            > and I go hiking together, I never can get him to take
            > a good picture of me testing BGT stuff.

            I don't really want to talk about 5 year olds and cameras because I have had
            a bad experience... I do find, however, that a tripod and a camera on a
            self timer work pretty well.

            Shane
          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
              Colleen-

              I'll see your messy-messy-messy house and raise you two "messies!" <w>

              RE-pics. I won't carry hubby's expensive digital camera on the trail, and the cheap one he got me only charges through a computer, so it only goes on shorter jaunts. Oh, yeah, the "off" switch has to be moved with the tip of a knife or a pin/pen. Pressing the control button until "off" flashes doesn't do it. I found this out at the same time that I found out that allowing the camera to discharge erases all of the images. Its credit card-size and low weight were attractive, but it turned out to be one of those well-intended e-Bay surprise gifts that has been allowed to sink to the bottom of a gear box...somewhere.

              I have carried disposables, but somehow the pics are not great quality, and somehow are too close to the end of the roll, and/or suffer light damage when the camera is inevitably compressed or dropped. I am also very jealous of any extra weight. I have had a few shots taken by friends willing to carry their digital cameras. One attempt was of me dragging my sorry self up a mountain in a downpour. The AT had turned to a river (probably N. GA) and between the rain coming down so hard and the dark sky, neither I nor the Gatewood Cape was recognizable. Oh, well!

              Cheers!

              Rosaleen

              Re: IR - SkirtSports GymGirl - Colleen Porter
              Posted by: "Emma Eyeball" tarbubble@...<mailto:tarbubble@...> tarbubble

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
                hi Jet,

                thanks for your helpful edits & comments. since there were some
                technical issues, i'd like you to look at my fixed-up IR again. i've
                also added two personal pictures, which are not fantastic but at least
                show the skirt a little bit.

                http://tinyurl.com/3cuq5m

                also, i have one tiny dispute with your edits:

                > Anticipated Field Conditions: Summer is hard upon us here in southern
                > California.
                > [EDIT] I always have doubts on this one? but I'm pretty sure
                "southern"
                > should be capitalized in this case as it is part of a proper noun.

                if i lived in South Carolina or West Virginia or North Dakota then i
                would agree with you. but in this case it's a clarifying term and not
                part of the proper name of my state (as much as the two halves of CA
                would occasionally LIKE to split from each other). although, to give
                you due credit, i have found documentation supporting both approaches.
                foe example, the USC stylebook says it should be capitalized, whereas
                the Government Printing Office states it should not be.

                anyhoo, it's moot. but thank you nonetheless.

                -colleen
              • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Thanks for the update, Colleen. Your link is working fine and your report
                  seems to be in great shape. Nice addition of the action photos!

                  Thanks again!

                  Jet
                  Skirt (Sports) Monitor