IR - SkirtShorts GymGirl - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2007
      Here is the IR for the SkirtShorts. HTML can be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/22zp9a

      cheers

      kathryn

      --

      SkirtSports GymGirl - 2 pocket Skirt

      Initial Report: May 31 2007

      Black skirtshorts
      Image from skirtshorts website

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Washington DC, USA

      Brief Background: I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost
      four years ago. Most of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and
      Massachusetts. I have recently finished 1200+ miles (2000+ km) of the
      Appalachian Trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not
      spending a fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 25 lbs (11
      kg) with two days of food and 16 oz (0.5 L) of water. I have recently
      starting getting into winter hiking, snowshoeing and kayaking.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: SkirtSports
      Website: http://www.skirtsports.com/
      MSRP: US$58.00
      Material: Nylon and Spandex
      Weight (as stated): not stated
      Weight (measured): 5.8 oz (165 g)
      Colours Available: Mojito Green, Pink Crush, Black, Yellow/Pink Crush,
      and Sapphire Blue
      Sizes Available: XXS to XXL

      Initial Report:
      May 31st 2007

      I received the large, black SkirtShorts. The skirt part is smooth and
      silky with two slits, one on each side of the skirt. The seam is
      covered with a thin line of mesh piping that also contains a button
      hole just below the waist band. Both sides contain this buttonhole. On
      the front left side of the skirt,TRiKS is imprinted in white, glittery
      circles. The shorts underneath are the same length as the skirt and
      are of a pseudo-mesh material. While the shorts appear to be mesh on
      the outside, they are smooth on the inside. Imprinted onto the inside
      back of the shorts is the care instructions, size, material
      composition, andmanufacturer information. There are no tags. All the
      seams are sewn flat like a princess seam. There are two pockets made
      from the same mesh material on the outside of each leg. The pockets
      line up with the slit in the skirt for easy access. The waist band is
      made from the same mesh as the shorts and is a double layer of fabric
      folded over and sewn to the top of theSKirtShorts.

      The SkirtShorts are dubbed as a technical item while still giving the
      impression of being feminine. The pockets are 3 x 4.5 in. (7.5 x 11.5
      cm) and are meant to hold small necessities while on the move: money,
      id, small mp3 player, even keys. I have previous hiked in a skirt and
      while I liked the free feeling, once the weather started to heat up, I
      would start getting rubbed the wrong way when I started to sweat. But
      with shorts, I find that they tend to hike up in an uncomfortable way,
      leaving me to buy shorts that are extra long and hard to work up. I
      like the idea of theSkirtShorts and hope that I can find the balance
      between the two worlds.

      The SkirtShorts are a good fit. The waist band falls just below my
      navel. The skirt falls about 6 in. (15 cm) above my knee. For everyday
      wear, I find this a little short for my tastes. I will evaluate how
      comfortable this is in a hiking and athletic standpoint. After one day
      of wear, the shorts portion stayed mostly in place until after several
      hours of wear, they did slowly startedcreeping up. The waist band
      tended to roll down a bit, but this didn't cause any discomfort. The
      waistband is so thin that I didn't immediately notice it had rolled.
      On the second day of wear, the shorts tended to crept up faster as I
      walked or sat.

      I have already worn and washed the shorts and they have worn and
      washed well. I hung them to air dry as recommended in the care
      instructions. They dried quickly. TheSkirtShorts are comfortable to
      wear. I will be evaluating the comfort while hiking and walking. I
      will also look into how handy the side pockets are and what can be
      stored inside. While the buttonhole that allows earplugs to feed
      through was a little hard to find at first, I did find them. While I
      know I can't fit myiPod photo inside that pocket, I will look into how
      well my cell phone fits and various other useful items. I will be
      especially interested in whether there is any heat build up over the
      course of hiking or if any chafing occurs over a hike.

      I expect to take the SkirtShorts GymGirl on a few day hikes to check
      for comfort levels then on some overnight hikes. I will mostly be in
      the DC, Maryland and Virginia areas. I expect to encounter rain and
      hopefully lots of nice weather. I anticipate doing between 5 and 12
      miles in any one stretch.

      This concludes my initial report on the SkirtShorts GymGirl. The field
      report will be amended onto this report in two months time and will
      include field testing data. Please check back then for further
      information on the SkirtShorts.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 7:03 AM
        Test Report: SkirtSports GymGirl - 2 pocket Skirt
        Tester: Kathryn Doiron

        Hi Kathryn! Thank you for your SportSkirt initial report. I think you've
        caught it all... although you may want to definitively capture "if the
        item meets your expectations based on viewing the manufacturer's website"
        clause of the bylaws. I have a bunch of edits below... but fear not! They
        are mostly from a silly mistake of calling the product the SkirtSHORT when
        it is actually the SkirtSPORT... and some spacing issues where words were
        run together (at least in the text version). So if you fix all those
        there aren't many other issues.

        Once you have seen to the edits below... you are free to upload to the
        appropriate folder, which should be under something like: Reviews >
        Clothing > Skirts and Kilts > SkirtSports GymGirl SportsSkirt.

        Thanks again for all your efforts! I hope you have fun with this test!

        James E. Triplett
        Skirt (Sports) Monitor

        Black skirtshorts
        Image from skirtshorts website
        [EDIT] Please correct me if I'm wrong? but this should be SkirtSports
        (SPORTS not SHORTS) and the S in Skirt and Sport should be capitalized. (2
        places above)

        MSRP: US$58.00
        Material: Nylon and Spandex
        Weight (as stated): not stated
        Weight (measured): 5.8 oz (165 g)
        Colours Available: Mojito Green, Pink Crush, Black, Yellow/Pink Crush,
        and Sapphire Blue
        Sizes Available: XXS to XXL
        [COMMENT] I know you say it below? but you should probably list the "Size
        tested" with these other statistics.

        I received the large, black SkirtShorts.
        [EDIT] SkirtSPORTS GymGirl

        The skirt part is smooth and slky with two slits, one on each side of the
        skirt.
        [EDIT] "slky" should be "silky"

        The seam is covered with a thin line of mesh piping that also contains a
        button hole just below the waist band. Both sides contain this buttonhole.

        [COMMENT] You should probably describe what the button hole is for? since
        there doesn't appear to be a button.

        On the front left side of the skirt,TRiKS is imprinted in white, glittery
        circles.
        [EDIT] Please add a space after "skirt,"

        Imprinted onto the inside back of the shorts is the care instructions,
        size, material composition, andmanufacturer information.
        [EDIT] Please add a space after "and" in "andmanufacturer"

        The waist band is made from the same mesh as the shorts and is a double
        layer of fabric folded over and sewn to the top of theSKirtShorts.
        [EDIT] SkirtSports (and I'm showing a space needed before Skirt in
        "theSKirtShorts" and of course the K should be lower case.

        The SkirtShorts are dubbed as a technical item while still giving the
        impression of being feminine.
        [EDIT] SkirtSports

        I like the idea of theSkirtShorts and hope that I can find the balance
        between the two worlds.
        [EDIT] SkirtSports (and I'm showing a space needed before Skirt in
        "theSkirtShorts")

        The SkirtShorts are a good fit.
        [EDIT] SkirtSports

        After one day of wear, the shorts portion stayed mostly in place until
        after several hours of wear, they did slowly startedcreeping up.
        [COMMENT] Using "wear" twice in the same sentence seems awkward. I would
        suggest using the word "use" in place of the second "wear"? but it is your
        call.
        [EDIT] I'm showing "startedcreeping" all run together

        TheSkirtShorts are comfortable to wear.
        [EDIT] SkirtSports (and I'm showing a space needed before Skirt in
        "TheSkirtShorts")

        While I know I can't fit myiPod photo inside that pocket,
        [EDIT] I'm showing "myiPod" all run together

        I expect to take the SkirtShorts GymGirl on a few day hikes to check for
        comfort levels then on some overnight hikes.
        [EDIT] SkirtSports

        I anticipate doing between 5 and 12 miles in any one stretch.
        [EDIT] add (8 - 19 km)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5 10:18 AM
          Thanks for the edits, I think that the lack of spacing is a copy paste
          error as I copy from the posted HTML then paste into gmail. I will
          figure out a better way to do this. I also added the below paragraph:
          --
          My initial impressions of the SkirtSports are very positive. They are
          almost exactly what I expected them to be based on the descriptions on

          kathryn

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5 10:53 AM
            Thanks for the update Kathryn! Good addition... although you state that
            the SkirtSports "are almost exactly what I expected them to be based on
            the descriptions on the manufacturers website." and then list quite a few
            exceptions. Could you say something like: "They are almost exactly what I
            expected them to be based on the descriptions on the manufacturers
            website, with a few minor exceptions which are inconsequential, or
            improvements over what I expected."?.

            Just a suggestion. What you have is quite understandable.

            Thanks again!

            Jet
            James E. Triplett
            Skirt (Sports) Monitor

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6 1:15 PM
              Going to Disney World!
              June 7 thru June 17
              No reports due for reporting or monitoring during this time period.
              James E. Triplett

            • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18 9:26 AM
                Back-in-pocket.