IR - WhiteSierra Perth Men's Crew Tee - Coy Boy

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      Nice shirt! Here is My IR Jason. Hopefully not to much editing will
      be needed...

      WhiteSierra Perth Men's Crew Tee
      Test Report Series
      Initial Report: May 30, 2007

      Pic of shirt

      Tester: Coy Starnes
      Gender: Male
      Age: 45
      Weight: 238 lb (108 kg)
      Height: 6 ft (1.8 m)
      Chest: 44 in (112 cm)
      E-Mail: starnescr@...
      Location: Grant, Alabama, USA

      Tester Biography
      I live in Northeast Alabama. I enjoy hunting, fishing, canoeing, and
      most other outdoor activities but backpacking is my favorite
      pastime. I enjoy hiking with friends and family or solo. I hike
      throughout the year and actually hike less in the hot humid months of
      summer. My style is slow and steady and my gear is light. However,
      I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability. A typical 3-
      season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food or
      water. I usually sleep in a hammock and cook with an alcohol stove.

      Product Information
      Item: Perth Men's Crew Tee
      Manufacturer: WhiteSierra
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      Listed Weight: not given
      Measured Weight: my size XL 7.6 oz (215 g)
      Color: Pistachio (a light green)
      Fabric: 100% polyester Cool Dry™
      Sun Protection: UPF Rating 30
      MSRP: $25 US

      Product Description
      WhiteSierra describes the tee as "Versatility is key in this
      performance men's tee. Moisture management and UPF 30 sun protection
      fabric make this crew tee ideal for every summer adventure." The
      fabric it is made of is 100% polyester and called Cool Dry™. I tried
      to find a good fabric description for Cool Dry™ using Google but
      could not find one so I looked at other Cool Dry™ clothing articles
      from various manufactures. Basically I found that Cool Dry™ is a
      fabric with advanced wicking technology that transports moisture away
      from skin to the fabric's outer surface where it dries quickly, thus
      regulating body temperature.

      WhiteSierra says the shirt fabric has a smooth face and textured back
      fabric. Obviously this is not saying the textured back is on the
      inside as I assumed because the shirt is smooth on the inside and
      textured on the outside. I also think this is a good thing because
      the shirt is certainly smooth feeling aginst my skin. Another nice
      touch is that the Perth has the sizing and care info printed on the
      area where a tag is normally placed. I hate those as they often rub
      a raw place if I wear a shirt while exercising and sweating

      Initial Impression
      The shirt looks pretty much identical to the one pictured on the
      website. I did notice the color I received is not listed on the
      website and I do believe the Pistachio is a lighter green than the
      Leaf color which is the only green listed. Despite the slight
      difference in color, the shirt looks well made and I found no loose
      threads or faults anywhere. One interesting thing I noticed is the
      shirt has a narrow strip of striped fabric sewn inside the back of
      the neck. I'm not sure why as it will not be seen when worn.

      The fit of the XL Perth is great, perfect in my opinion as it is
      slightly loose but not baggy. I am not surprised since I normally
      wear XL tee shirts which fit similarly. In dress shirts I like a
      neck size of 17.5 and get the tall version. My dress jackets are
      size 46. My pants are size 38.

      The Perth is very comfortable and I felt no restriction of movement
      whatsoever. It is very easy to slip on and off. The fabric is
      slightly stretchy but since mine is not snug it just helps the shirt
      move with me and will let me flex my muscles, or, gain weight if I

      The photo at the top shows the fit from the front and this one shows
      the fit from the side (pic on left). It also shows the length of the
      sleeves and waist which are about average for a Tee.

      Performance Early On
      So far I have had a couple of opportunities to use the Perth. I wore
      it a few hours around the house and yard one evening and then a few
      days later, I went for a 20 mile (32 km) bike ride late in the
      afternoon. The first wearing did not see me sweating much but on the
      bike ride I pretty much soaked the shirt. It was 88 F (31 C) when I
      left the house and 79 F (26 C) when I returned some 2 hours later.
      Even when fairly wet the Perth felt good and did not stick to me near
      as much as cotton tee's tend to do. I took it easy the last few
      miles home and the shirt was almost dry. I have worn cotton Tees
      under similar circumstances and they would not be near as dry so I
      feel the quick drying claims are accurate.

      I have washed the Perth once so far and followed the directions
      printed inside the back of the collar. Basically, this is; Use cold
      water on the Gentle Cycle (the permanent-press cycle on my machine)
      and do not bleach. I used All and then line dried as indicated. The
      Perth came through this without any color fading or shrinking.

      Future Testing
      I am looking forward to putting the Pert through the paces. The Cool
      Dry™ knit sounds like just the ticket for someone like me who sweats
      a lot. My prelimanary testing bares this out.

      I will be wearing it while dayhiking, backpacking and bike riding.
      The Southeastern US is know for hot and humid summers and I tend to
      sweat profuiously so testing should not be a problem. I will report
      on how comfortable the shirt is and how it manages moisture. I will
      report on any durability issues I may encounter.

      Anticipated Testing Locations and Conditions.
      I will be making several short overnight hikes and a few longer hikes
      over the next 4 months. I will be testing in the southeastern
      US with trips into the local mountains of Tennessee, Georgia, and
      North Carolina as I try to get some relief form the heat by seeking
      altitude and cooler weather. However, most testing would be done in
      Northeast Alabama. Elevations will generally be less than 4000 ft
      (1219 m).

      This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately
      2 months for my Field Report to see how the Perth is doing.