Gregory Z 55 – Initial Report – Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2007
      Gregory Z 55 – Initial Report – Ed Morse

      Leesa, Here is my IR for your editing pleasure.

      The HTML version my be found in the TESTS folder at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Gregory%20Z%2055%
      20-%20Initial%20Report%20-%20Ed%20Morse/

      or tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/2kfw7m

      GREGORY Z55 PACK
      TEST SERIES BY EDWIN MORSE
      IR
      May 30, 2007

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Edwin Morse
      EMAIL: ed dot morse at charter dot net
      AGE: 69
      LOCATION: Grawn, MI USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 143 lb (64.90 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan
      along the Lake Superior shore. My gear was cheap, heavy and
      sometimes painful. Starting pack weight was 70 lbs (32 kg) with food
      but no water. Since that first time I have made one and two week
      trips in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. I am
      slowly reducing my pack weight. Starting the last one week trip in
      New Hampshire I carried 35 lbs (16 kg). I am slowly obtaining lighter
      gear. I am also occasionally switching to a hammock in warmer
      weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Initial Report: May, 30 2007

      Manufacturer: Gregory
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      "http://www.gregorypacks.com" LINK TEXT = "www.gregorypacks.com">>
      MSRP: US$189.00
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 5 oz (1508 g)
      Measured Weight postal scales: 3 lb 4.9 oz (1500 g)
      Measured Weight fish scales: 3 lb 4 oz
      Other details:

      Getting the weight of a pack was a challenge for me. I weighed it
      first by balancing it on the digital postal scales. This weight was
      constantly changing but the most frequent is the one I listed above.
      I then got out my digital fish scales with the hook to hang the pack
      on. This gave a weight of 3 lb 4 oz or 1474 g.
      I don't know which weight is more accurate, I assume the postal
      scales which gives weights to tenths of ounces is more accurate. But
      this was a "little confidence" weight because I was trying to balance
      it on the small scales and the numbers kept changing. Either way, the
      pack does NOT weigh more than the manufacturer states as often
      happens.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Gregory Z 55 pack (hereafter referred to as pack or Z 55) came in
      a clear plastic sack, with both the hang tags that were on the one I
      looked at in the store.
      I thought I had looked at the pack very carefully in the store but I
      am still finding details that I did not expect. Two of the features
      listed on the website were "Top and side access" and "Water resistant
      side access zipper". When I looked at the pack in the store I did
      not find the side access to the main compartment. It is there, I just
      didn't see it the first time.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Side access zipper open">>
      Here is a picture with the side access zipper open. I put a red shirt
      inside so it would show up better.

      There are 4 separate compartments: The large main compartment, which
      seems huge for a weekend pack.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "top access">>
      Here is a picture showing the top opening of the main compartment. It
      also shows the front pocket open.

      The top pocket looks like a good place for my rain suit and first aid
      kit.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Top pocket open">>
      Here I show the top pocket zipped open with that same red shirt
      inside. When I took the red shirt out I found a snap hook inside the
      top pocket. This will be the place for my truck keys when I go
      hiking, very nice detail I thought was missing!

      The "front" Bucket pocket which is open at the top and held closed
      with one buckle at the top and two compression straps on each side,
      with mesh areas at the bottom on each side. There is also a very
      large hydration pocket inside the pack with outlets for the hose on
      both sides at the top of the pack.
      Here is a view of the pack from my right side. There is a lot of
      detail shown here.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "right side view">>
      The hydration hose is hanging over my right shoulder. I have the
      waist belt pocket unzipped with a snack sticking out. Behind my elbow
      is the mesh bottom of the large front bucket pocket.

      The following picture is from my back (front of the pack?)
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "View from my back">>
      Here I have my old Thermorest strapped to the bottom of the pack. The
      front pocket zipper is closed in this view.

      The detailing is impressive, with most seam stitches too small and
      hidden for me to see. I've only owned 4 packs, over a span of about
      30 years, before getting the Z 55. None of them, including the two I
      still own, came close in engineering or craftsmanship.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Washing instructions are given at the top of the fourth page of the
      four page hang tag in a paragraph titled CARING FOR YOUR PACK.
      Essentially I am told to hand wash with a mild detergent or soap
      solution and stubborn stains my require use of a soft bristle nylon
      brush.
      In addition I am cautioned not to put the pack in a dryer or to use
      solvents of any kind.

      Maybe I've been away from new packs for too long; I almost feel I
      want instructions about some of the straps and buckles - just
      kidding. I would not want anyone to tell me how to use the features
      of a pack. I will develop my own way to use every feature.

      TRYING OUT THE Z 55

      My first, and only use so far, has been a day hike out to a trail
      work location and back. I loaded all the "junk" I carry in the day
      pack, including rain gear, first aid kit, knives, food and water.
      Then I put in the tools I needed for the bridge building project and
      added the required hard hat and leather gloves. Total pack weighed 13
      lb (5.9 kg). The pack was still, of course, not loaded to capacity. I
      fastened and pulled both compression straps tight. The pack rode
      very well all day while I was running the trail mower.

      I will use the Z 55 for all day hikes as well as backpacking this
      summer. It is much more comfortable than my day pack. The ventilated
      back is a great feature on a hot day.

      SUMMARY

      The Z 55 is, in my opinion, a well designed and very well made pack.
      I would not have believed that a pack designed for weekend and longer
      trips could function well as a day pack, until I used it for a long
      hard day. I am looking forward to packing my gear in the pack for
      several nights on the trail.

      I would like to thank both Gregory and BGT for the opportunity to
      test the Z 55.

      Please check back in about two months for the Field Report.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Buskov
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2007
        :-(

        Lucky. That things looks like the bomb!

        AB

        --
        _______
        Visit Corridor9.net
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2007
          Hi Ed

          Just one request for the metric users. Generally when the weights get up in
          this sort of range, e.g., 1500 g we go to kilograms. So in your weights 1508
          g would be become 1.51 kg, 1500 g = 1.5 kg and 1474 g becomes 1.47 kg.

          I suggest you check out the BGT converter at
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html which gives you an idea of the
          metric equivalents.

          Regards
          Andrew, sir

          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2007
            Hi Andrew,

            I've used metrics enough that I should have caught that. Numbers were a big
            part of my work for a long time and converting between English and metric
            systems was a daily task for several years.

            I did use the BGT Converter, but I put it in as ounces. This gives back
            grams.

            Would you suggest a repost or should I wait for the moderator?

            Ed M

            _____

            http://www.backpack <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html>

            Message 5 of 7 , May 31, 2007
              Hi Ed

              No worries. I get mixed up going the other way and I learnt the imperial
              system first!

              I would wait for the edits. Not a big thing.

              Thanks
              Andrew, Sir

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
                One of the biggest holes a tester can dig is putting text into an
                actual image because in most cases, to edit it you have to re-create
                the image altogether and this takes time. So, you've got the be very
                careful in doing your own proofreading before incorporating that image
                into your report.

                Case in point - "Thermorest" should be "Therm-a-Rest"
              • Edwin Morse
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Andy,
                  When I read your post earlier today I knew I had a problem.
                  It seems like I learn most things by making mistakes.

                  I had to replace that picture with a copy without the text.

                  Ed M

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@...>