IR - Snow Peak Giga Power SS Stove - Josh Cormier

  • swifteagle1_2003
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2007
      I appologize for being tardy.
      Here is my IR.

      The Html version can be found here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Snow%20Peak%20-%
      20IR%20-%20Josh%20Cormier/

      Josh C

      Snow Peak Giga Power Stove – Initial Report

      Personal biographical information:
      • Name: Josh Cormier
      • Age: 27
      • Gender: Male
      • Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      • Weight: 162 lb (73 kg)
      • Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
      • City: Los Gatos, California
      • Date: 30-May-07

      Backpacking background:
      I joined the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and have been camping and
      backpacking ever since. I like to do challenging trips ranging from
      week long to weekend in mountainous areas. I would classify my gear
      as mid weight although now I am trying to move more toward
      lightweight. I now go backpacking at least once a year in the Sierra
      Nevada Mountains as well as monthly car camping trips with the Scouts.

      Product Information: (information taken from Snow Peak website)

      - Item Description: Snow Peak Giga Power, Stainless Steel, auto -
      Stove
      - Listed Stove weight: 3.75 oz (106 g)
      - Measured Stove weight (no case): 3.8 oz (108 g)
      - Measured Stove weight (with case): 4.6 oz (130 g)
      - Listed Dimensions—4 1/8" d x 2 5/8" h (105mm d x 67mm h)
      - Measured Dimensions—3 3/8" h x 1 3/4" w x 1 1/2" d (86mm h x 44mm w
      x 38mm d)
      - Listed Pack Size (Case)—1 3/4" d x 3 1/2" h (44mm d x 89mm h)
      - Measured Size (Case)—3 1/2" h x 1 7/8" w x 1 5/8" d (89mm h x 47mm
      w x 41mm d)
      - Material: Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Brass
      - Fuel used: Runs on Snow Peak Giga Power fuel canister
      - Manufactures web site: http://www.snowpeak.com
      - Year of Manufacture: 2007
      - MSRP: $49.95
      - Item Received: 17-May-07
      - Initial Condition: The product arrived in new condition
      - Item Completeness: The item came in retail packaging and included
      all required pieces.
      - Package Includes: Stove, plastic stove case, and instructions.

      Packaging:
      The stove arrived in a standard brown cardboard shipping box that was
      huge compared to the stove box inside. When I first saw the stove
      packaging, I thought "wow that's small". The stove came in the retail
      packaging and gives more information on the outside of the box than I
      found on the website. On opening the box I found a cream colored
      plastic case and an instruction manual.

      Initial Impressions:
      The stove itself is smaller than any stove I have used to date. The
      pot supports are made of stainless and were already discolored by the
      company's initial test firing before shipment. The fuel valve is
      controlled by a wire turn key that has become the popular option on
      most stoves now-a-days. The design of the stove is pretty simple and
      straight forward, it folds compactly, has a fuel valve adjustment, a
      sparker unit, and a place to screw in the fuel canister. No
      windscreen is included with the stove and I wonder how it will
      perform with out one. The sparker unit is compact and feels sturdy, I
      will be watching to see if it loosens up over many uses.

      Trying to fold up the pot stand legs and fit the stove back in the
      original case was tougher that it looked. I finally figured out that
      I had to press all the pot stand legs in at the same time, then they
      would all fold correctly. The case is compact and durable, it has a
      top that presses on and is held on by a ridge running around the
      lower half of the case. There is a small hole in the bottom of the
      case. I'm not sure if this is to let air flow in and out of the case
      when packed or to allow debris to fall out of the case and into my
      backpack when it is put away. I went to the manufactures website to
      look for information on this stove and all I could find was the
      price, weight, dimensions, and material that the stove is made of. I
      could not find any manuals or information on the care of the stove.
      Although the stove seems simple enough, it looks like I should be
      careful to never loose the manual that came with my stove.

      First Time Setup:
      The first time setup of his stove is almost ridiculously simple when
      I compare it to all the other stoves I have experience using (mostly
      white gas stoves). I opened the case, pulled the stove out, opened
      the pot stand legs, and screwed in the Snow Peak Giga Power canister.
      There is a rubber O-ring on the bottom of the stove that presses down
      on the lip of the canister fuel when I screw it in. I'm not sure if
      this is to trap any leaking gas or to absorb vibration from the upper
      unit to the canister. The whole first time setup took me just a
      couple of minutes. I did notice right away that when I screwed in the
      canister that gas started coming out of the burner. Turning the valve
      to the off position took care of that, the stove instructions
      actually say to turn the valve to the off position before connecting
      the canister. It turns out that when putting this stove away, the
      valve key usually gets turned partially into the on position so the
      next time I take it out the stove is on rather than off. I will need
      to be careful of this especially when connecting the canister when in
      camp with other people. The canister screwed on and off easily and I
      was not able to detect any leaking by listening while the canister
      was connected to the stove.

      First Time Cooking:
      My first time using this stove was at a 2 day car camping trip in
      Hollister CA. It was clear and cloudless with morning temperatures
      around 65 F (18 C) and a slight breeze all day. I wanted to warm up
      some coffee I had in a thermos from the previous day. I opened the
      case pulled out the stove, opened the pot stand legs, made sure the
      valve was closed, and screwed in the canister. I gave the valve a few
      tries to see how far I had to turn it to get the gas to start
      flowing. Once I had a feel of how the stove worked, including a few
      test sparks, I fired it up. I gripped the sparker with my left hand
      and turned the fuel valve with my right. As soon as the fuel started
      hissing out I squeezed the sparker and the stove ignited on the first
      try. I placed my pot of coffee on the pot stand and turned the fuel
      valve one turn to the left which seems to be full on. The pot was
      stable on the stand and did not want to slide or tip when I nudged
      it. There was slight breeze, but even without a windscreen the flame
      did not go out. I did not measure how long it took to boil the coffee
      or how much I put in, or even the outside air temperature. My only
      excuse is, I hadn't even had my coffee yet. In my upcoming tests I
      will be recording this stove's performance and the surrounding
      environment.

      While the stove was on I played with the fuel valve to see how low
      the flame could be adjusted. It appeared to go pretty low so I will
      need to do some testing to see if it can simmer or cook pancakes with
      out burning them. When the coffee was done I turned the stove off and
      let it cool for a few minutes. When it was cool I took the canister
      off, folded the stove up, and placed it back in its case. The entire
      teardown took just a few minutes.

      I enjoyed the brief use of this stove on this trip and look forward
      to more in depth testing on my next camping or backpacking trip.

      My test plan:
      I plan on testing the gear based on several different objectives.
      First and most importantly is dependability, does the gear work when
      it counts. Secondly is efficiency, does the gear do its job well.
      Lastly would be ease of use, is the gear easy to put together and
      easy to use. Throughout the test I will seek to answer the following
      questions.

      Dependability:

      Does the stove consistently fire up without any repair or major
      adjustments?
      Does the stove hold up well under use?
      Will the stove be able to hold 1 Quart of water in the pot with
      stability?
      Is the stove easy to take apart and repair?
      Does the stove work with the butane fuel in cold weather?
      Does the canister connection start to leak over time?
      Does the sparker consistently work time after time?

      Efficiency:

      Is the stoves flame fully adjustable to conserve fuel?
      Is the weight to dependability/usefulness ratio favorable?
      Does the stove cool down quickly so I can pack it away?
      Does the stove pack away easily into my backpack?
      Does the stove fire up and become ready for me to cook on right away?

      Ease of Use:

      Is the stove well thought out?
      Is the stove easy to setup and takedown?
      Is the stove easy to light?
      Is the process of connecting the stove to the fuel source straight
      forward?
      Does the sparker shock me if I'm not careful?
      Does anything on the stove need to be cleaned often?
      Is the stove easy to clean when I splash whatever I am cooking on it?
      Can I use other canisters besides Snow Peak's as a fuel source?

      Thank you to Snow Peak and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to test
      this fine item,
      Josh Cormier
    • swifteagle1_2003
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2007
        I forgot to add some formatting for the continous report.

        It should be right now.

        Its still located in the same place:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Snow%20Peak%20-%
        20IR%20-%20Josh%20Cormier/

        Snow Peak Giga Power Stove

[...]

        Initial Report - 30-May-07

[...]

      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
          These arhttp://www.snowpeak.come Thomas Vickers' official monitor edits of
          Josh Cormier's Snow Peak GigaPower Stainless Steel Stove IR

          EDITS = Must do
          Edits = think about it, but do something
          Comments = think about it

          HTML Looks good
          But I think the date is needed at the top of the report?
          I would probably put it there as well.

          Product Information: (information taken from Snow Peak website)

          - Item Description: Snow Peak Giga Power, Stainless Steel, auto - Stove
          - Listed Stove weight: 3.75 oz (106 g)
          - Measured Stove weight (no case): 3.8 oz (108 g)
          - Measured Stove weight (with case): 4.6 oz (130 g)
          - Listed Dimensions-4 1/8" d x 2 5/8" h (105mm d x 67mm h)
          - Measured Dimensions-3 3/8" h x 1 3/4" w x 1 1/2" d (86mm h x 44mm w x 38mm
          d)
          - Listed Pack Size (Case)-1 3/4" d x 3 1/2" h (44mm d x 89mm h)
          - Measured Size (Case)-3 1/2" h x 1 7/8" w x 1 5/8" d (89mm h x 47mm w x
          41mm d)

          Edit: I think there should be a space between the numbers and measures. You
          do this in this section for oz and g, but not for mm.

          The sparker unit is compact and feels sturdy, I will be watching to see if
          it loosens up over many uses.

          EDIT: My grammar checker insists that you need a colon here. So sturdy; I.

          I went to the manufactures website to look for information on this stove and
          all I could find was the price, weight, dimensions, and material that the
          stove is made of.

          EDIT: manufactures = manufacturer's?

          First Time Cooking:
          My first time using this stove was at a 2 day car camping trip in Hollister
          CA.

          Comment: I always thought that a comma was needed between city and state,
          but I could be wrong here.

          Will the stove be able to hold 1 Quart of water in the pot with stability?

          EDIT: metric for 1 quart is needed
          Edit: quart instead of Quart?

          Report looks good
          Update and upload

          Tvickers
        • swifteagle1_2003
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
            Changes made and uploaded.

            Thanks for the quick edits.

            As far as the date at the top of the report i'm not sure what you
            mean. I put the date for the initial report at the beginning of teh
            initial report. do i need to also put this at the top and change it
            every report?

            Josh C

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"

            *

            *

            *

            *

            > Report looks good
            > Update and upload
            >
            > Tvickers

          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
              Changes made and uploaded.

              Thanks for the quick edits.

              As far as the date at the top of the report i'm not sure what you
              mean. I put the date for the initial report at the beginning of teh
              initial report. do i need to also put this at the top and change it
              every report?

              Josh C

              Yes,

              tv
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2007
                > As far as the date at the top of the report i'm not sure what you
                > mean. I put the date for the initial report at the beginning of teh
                > initial report. do i need to also put this at the top and change it
                > every report?

                Please refer to message number 31714 for the specific policy.

                Shane
                List Admin
              • swifteagle1_2003
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007