IR - Nuun electrolyte tablets - Colleen Porter

  • Emma Eyeball
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29 9:28 PM
      http://tinyurl.com/3bnhsg

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Nuun, Inc.

      Nuun Electrolyte Replacement Tablets

      Initial Report - May 28, 2007

      [photo here]

      Tester Information

      Name: Colleen Porter
      Age: 32
      Gender: F
      Height: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email: tarbubble at yahoo dot com
      Location: coastal southern California

      Biography: I've been backpacking for about 11 years. I used to pack
      HEAVY, but then I had kids. So to bring them backpacking I reduced my
      pack weight drastically, and I'm now a quasi-ultralighter (roughly 11
      lbs/5 kg solo base pack weight). However, I still have to carry the
      kids' gear and food. I sew some of my own gear (tarps, tents, down
      jacket). I mostly backpack in the mountains & deserts of southern
      California, with occasional jaunts to adjacent states.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Nuun
      Year Manufactured: 2007
      MSRP: $19.50 US for three tubes (12 tabs per tube)
      Flavors: Tri-Berry, Lemon+Lime, Kona Cola, Citrus Fruit
      Listed Weight: n/a
      Tested Weights: 2.5 oz/71 g for one full tube

      Product Description: Electrolyte replacement tablets that are
      intended to be reconstituted in 16 oz/0.5 L of water. The tablets are
      1 in/2.5 cm across and 0.25 in/0.64 cm thick, but can be easily split
      in half. They are packaged in allegedly waterproof tubes that have a
      very unusual apparatus attached to the underside of the lid - kind of
      like a plastic spring with a short cylinder in the middle. The
      cylinder is filled with an unidentifiable paper-like substance. My
      guess (strictly a guess) is that this contains some kind of drying or
      moisture-absorbing agent. The ingredients that all flavors have in
      common are: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium bicarbonate, sodium
      carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate,
      polyethelene glycol, acesulfame potassium, ascorbic acid, calcium
      carbonate and riboflavin-5-phosphate. Each contains "natural
      flavors," and the Berry, Citrus and Cola flavors include beet (I
      assume for coloring). The Kona Cola also includes caffeine.

      Anticipated Field Condtions: Summer is hard upon us here in southern
      California. I expect heat, and lots of it, with temperatures of over
      100 degrees regularly. Our summers tend to be dry, so no real
      humidity is anticipated. I will be using Nuun at the Pacific coast,
      in the local foothills, and in our local mountains as well.
      Elevations could reach over 10,000 feet/3000 m. Sadly, I expect no
      precipitation whatsoever for the length of this test.

      Initial Report - May 29, 2007

      The tablet idea is cool. No packet to tear open, no chance of
      spilling powder or having it blow away in an unexpected gust of wind.
      The tablets are even scored (like an oversized pill) so that they can
      be broken in half to make a single 8 oz/237 ml serving, or to fit the
      two halves through a narrow-necked bottle. The tubes that Nuun
      tablets come in are simple plastic tubes with a strange spring-like
      plastic apparatus underneath the lid. I supect this apparatus may
      hold some sort of moisture-absorbing agent, in order to keep the
      tablets dry until they are used. The lid is initially sealed with a
      breakaway plastic ring that comes off easily.

      I have tried each flavor once so far. All of the flavors are mild,
      subtle tastes - no assertiveness here. Although I am a bit of a sugar
      junkie, I also like sour, tangy flavors. So my favorites so far are
      Tri-Berry and Lemon+Lime. Citrus Fruit is also good, but I'm not at
      all sure about Kona Cola. It's possible that I'm far too conditioned
      to carbonated and heavily sweetened cola drinks. I thought that Kona
      Cola tasted kind of like a cola soda that had been left alone too long
      with ice melting into it. There is a mildly sweet taste to the
      drinks, which I suspect is provided by sorbitol, a naturally-occurring
      sugar alcohol. Nuun says sorbitol is a necessary ingredient "to help
      it work as a tablet but it's at really low levels." Sorbitol is the
      second ingredient listed.

      The tablets dissolve in roughly two minutes and ten seconds. When I
      drank immediately after a tablet finished dissolving, there was still
      a slight amount of "fizz" to the water, but that dissipates fairly
      quickly. If the tablets are dissolved inside a tightly sealed bottle,
      some pressure does build but here at almost sea level this is just
      enough to create a quick hiss of air when the bottle is opened. The
      tablets impart a slight tint to water as well, with the Kona Cola
      being the most noticeable.

      On to performance so far. In the past few days, I have only been able
      to use Nuun at the gym, not out on the trails. However, it seems very
      promising based on my limited testing so far. I enjoyed drinking it
      and did not miss the taste of my sweeter energy drinks at all. I do
      believe that I felt less thirsty than I typically do, but I did
      experience some lags in energy. However, I was not consciously
      controlling my diet in order to obtain consistent results - on one
      occasion, I had skimped a bit on breakfast, which could easily have
      accounted for the energy lapses. This test will require me to pay
      more rigorous attention to my caloric and liquid intakes, which I will
      attempt to do.

      Look for my Long Term Report here in roughly two months (early August
      2007). Thanks to Nuun and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to
      test the Nuun electrolyte tablets.
    • Rick Allnutt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 1:32 PM
        EDIT - IR - Nuun electrolyte tablets - Colleen Porter

        Hi Colleen,

        Nice report. Nits below...

        *Anticipated Field Condtions:*
        ### conditions

        temperatures of over 100 degrees regularly
        ### SI conversion needed

        I supect this apparatus may hold some sort of moisture-absorbing agent
        ### suspect

        Comment: That's it, except that if they list the calories in a tablet,
        that would be interesting to me... It answers the question about how
        much sorbitol is not much.

        Rick

        Emma Eyeball wrote:

        > http://tinyurl.com/3bnhsg <http://tinyurl.com/3bnhsg>
        >
        > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 6:22 PM
          Rick,

          excellent point and it hadn't even occurred to me. there are less
          than 6 calories per tablet (<3 oz for each serving, 2 servings in one
          tablet). i'll revise the IR to include this information. thank you
          very much.

          -colleen

          > Comment: That's it, except that if they list the calories in a tablet,
          > that would be interesting to me... It answers the question about how
          > much sorbitol is not much.
          >
          > Rick
          >

          > Emma Eyeball wrote:
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/3bnhsg <http://tinyurl.com/3bnhsg>

        • swifteagle1_2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
            Yes you are correct they use nuun in lower case.
            Although if you look at their site and documentation, they dont
            believe in capitialization at all.

            Looks like i'll have to update my report as well.

            Josh C

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"