For Edit - Scarpa Mustang FR - Brian T

  • Brian Tannehill
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2007
      Here is my FR for the Scarpa boots.

      Only the FR text is posted in this email, Full report is readable in test folder

      You can read it here
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/AAAA%20Scarpa%20FR%20--%20Brian%20T/#FRPT

      or
      http://tinyurl.com/23tzex

      or below,

      Thanks,
      Brian

      ##################################

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I've used these mainly on two trails where I live. One trail is called
      Stanley Canyon, and the other is called Eagle Peak. Stanley Canyon
      trail is 2.1 miles (3.4 km) long and gains over 1200 feet (366 m) from
      start to finish. The Eagle Peak trail is only 1.2 miles (1.9 km) long
      and gains over 2000 feet (610 m) at the finish. Weather was wet,
      snowy and icy on the trails. The trails are typical Rocky Mountain
      terrain, with lots of rocks and scree. I've also walked down around a
      creek by my house, and through a few meadows, up and over a few
      rolling hills, etc.

      Weather has been mostly sunny with temperatures in the mid 50's F (13
      C), with a few snow banks left around the trails. A couple of times I
      had a wet snow falling and temperatures hit the low 30's F (0 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I hike in typical Rocky Mountain terrain. Lots of rocks, scree and big
      hills. There isn't a good way to really measure how intense these
      hikes are as each person has a different standard. I like to give the
      reference of a geocache that is along both trails. On both Stanley
      Canyon and Eagles Peak the trail rating according to the Geocaching
      web site has a difficulty of 2.5 and terrain of 3.5.

      Using the Yosemite Decimal System (YDS) predominantly used in the
      Sierra Nevadas, I would rate both these trails about a high 3, and
      depending on weather conditions maybe even a 4. I've heard of ropes
      being used on one section that has a waterfall that freezes over the
      trail. True rock climbing begins at 5. These trails are by no means a
      walk in the park, but are not necessarily super hard.

      I wore the boots around for a while to try and break them in. I spent
      about two weeks wearing them around the house in the evening just
      walking around the yard and such. On one of the first hikes I took
      with these boots, about 3/4 (1.2 km) of a mile into the hike I noticed
      the arches of my feet really cramping up. I think I have fairly hi
      arches. I wrote customer support about the foot bed in the shoes and
      they said they were made for normal arches, and suggested adding an
      aftermarket insert in the boot.

      Here is a picture of my arches. I laid down some paper and walked
      about 4 steps across the paper with both feet wet. Hence the
      appearance of me standing still.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hi Arch">>

      I have to admitt though, I have not noticed my arches cramping
      anymore, thus I have yet to add an insert to them.

      The longest distance I've done at one time in these boots is a little
      over 6 miles (9.7 km). I hiked up to Eagles Peak, and bushwacked my
      way across to Stanley Lake, and came back down Stanley Canyon trail.
      Once I got to the top of Eagles Peak, I had to stop and tape up my
      feet and relace my boots for some hot spots that were forming. The
      hot spots were on the back of my heels where the tendon comes into the
      heel. This happened on both heels and I had to tape and relace both
      boots. After that I did not have any other problems with these boots.

      The boots are waterproof. Both trails have streams flowing through
      them, and both have had a few snow banks. I've walked through the
      streams, stood in the streams, and tromped through the snow banks with
      these boots. My feet have stayed both warm and dry. However when the
      soles get wet, they are very slippery on the rocks. I actually fell
      once coming down the trail as I stepped on a rock just out of a stream
      crossing and the sole slipped. I do not feel comfortable on wet rocks
      with these boots.

      Even with a double knot, I have had both laces come untied while
      hiking. This is due to the braided nylon cord used as a shoe string in
      these boots. I have the same type of shoe string in another shoe and
      they repeatedly come untied. This is the most aggravating thing about
      these boots. I have to really cinch down on the strings and constantly
      re tie them. Along those same lines, I have noticed the top hooks
      around the ankle rotate a little when I lace the boots up tight. I
      would also like to see the top hooks a little bit longer as I use a
      variety of lacing tecniques that bring the laces back around the hooks
      a few times. This would give it just a little bit more bite.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I will continue to use these boots on all my hikes, walks, tromps, and
      whatever else I do for the next two months. So far the boots have held
      up well, even if dirty and nasty.

      Please check back in roughly two months ( end of July) for the completed report.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2007
        Hi Brian

        As promised here's your edit. I checked your html and it looks fine
        but I think removing the line about checking back in 2 months at the
        end of your IR would be a good idea. My edits, comments &
        suggestions are below marked with ##.

        Jamie D
        Scarpa Mustang GTX monitor

        In Performance in the Field

        On both Stanley Canyon and Eagles Peak the trail rating according to
        the Geocaching
        web site has a difficulty of 2.5 and terrain of 3.5.

        ##Edit/Comment – Is "Geocaching" capitalized because it is the
        actual name of the website? If not, then I think it should be lower
        case as you have it in the previous sentence.

        ### Suggestion – Since you go into the YDS rating for the trails I
        would say you really don't need the bit about the geocaching rating
        anyway. Your call though.

        I have to admitt though, I have not noticed my arches cramping
        anymore, thus I have yet to add an insert to them.

        ##Edit – spelling "admitt"

        This happened on both heels and I had to tape and relace both boots.
        After that I did not have any other problems with these boots.

        ## Suggestion – You mention taping your feet and relacing both boots
        twice in this paragraph. You could remove this redundancy and it
        would still read fine.

        ## Comment on the same sentence – When you say you did not have any
        other problems with the boots, do you mean on this outing or all
        together?

        This is the most aggravating thing about these boots. I have to
        really cinch down on the strings and constantly re tie them.

        ## Edit – spelling "re tie"

        would also like to see the top hooks a little bit longer as I use a
        variety of lacing tecniques that bring the laces back around the
        hooks a few times.

        ##Edit – spelling "tecniques"

        Please check back in roughly two months ( end of July) for the
        completed report.

        ###Edit – there is one extra space between ( and "end"
      • Brian Tannehill
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2007
          Done, Uploaded, Test folder deleted.

          On the two comments below, I think GeoCaching should be capitilized.
          Its a proper noun.

          I left the geocaching rating as some people dont know about the YDS
          rating or even what it is.

          Thanks for the quick turn on the edits.
          Brian

          > ##Edit/Comment – Is "Geocaching" capitalized because it is the
          > actual name of the website? If not, then I think it should be lower
          > case as you have it in the previous sentence.
          >
          > ### Suggestion – Since you go into the YDS rating for the trails I
          > would say you really don't need the bit about the geocaching rating
          > anyway. Your call though.
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2007
            Thank you Brian. Everything looks fine with the uploaded version.

            jamie d
            SCARPA mustang monitor

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Tannehill"
            <tannehillclan@...> wrote:

            > Done, Uploaded, Test folder deleted.
            >
            > On the two comments below, I think GeoCaching should be capitilized.
            > Its a proper noun.
            >
            > I left the geocaching rating as some people dont know about the YDS
            > rating or even what it is.
            >
            > Thanks for the quick turn on the edits.
            > Brian

          • Andrew Priest