Repost -LTR OR Marvel Windshirt-Chad Fike

  • Chad Fike
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2007
      As requested, here is the Long Term section only of my Outdoor
      Research Marvel Windshirt test for editing. Thanks-Chad Fike

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      May 16, 2007

      Testing continued in the same locations as the Field Report and also
      included a two day trip to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia at
      elevations around 3500 ft (1065 m). Temperatures were still below
      freezing when the test period began, but later reached as high as 80
      F (27 C). The temperatures and conditions fluctuated greatly during
      this period. Often conditions were wet and cold with rain gear
      being more appropriate than a windshirt. Other times the
      temperatures were warm enough that I was comfortable in only a tee
      shirt.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      During the Long-Term Report period I used the Marvel for cross
      country skiing, jogging, biking, dayhikes and backpacking. I did not
      use the windshirt nearly as much as during the Field Report period.
      Often it seemed the temperatures were warm enough that I was shedding
      the windshirt as soon as the hike began or carrying it along in my
      pack as an extra layer that was not often required. Most of the
      experiences I had during this last phase of testing reinforced
      earlier impressions rather than cause any new revelations.

      The Marvel was worn during a few of my first bike rides of the
      year. The jacket blocked the wind very effectively and was
      comfortable over a synthetic tee shirt in temperatures between 45 to
      55 F (7 to 13 C). Soon after these first trips the majority of my
      bike rides were in warmer temperatures where I only needed a short or
      long sleeved tee shirt and not an extra layer. Snow was very
      sporadic, so I only got to cross country ski about three more times.
      The Marvel performed well, as it had during the many times I wore it
      during the winter. When jogging, temperatures above the mid 50's F
      (10 C) were still a little too warm for the product. The comfortable
      temperature range was increased to almost 60 F (15 C) when wearing
      the Marvel on dayhikes, especially if I was just casually strolling
      and not exerting myself much. I did get caught in a steady rain
      during one short run. The windshirt sleeve and shoulder material
      repelled water for longer than the main body, but after about 25
      minutes both were wet. When I took off the jacket it did not seem
      the water had soaked all the way through. This seems consistent with
      Outdoor Researches claims that the Marvel will repel "light weather"
      but would not prevent a soaking in the long term. I took a three day
      backpack trip during this period. The weather was beautiful and I
      hiked in short sleeves. The only time I needed any extra layers were
      in the mornings and evenings. The first evening was rather breezy
      and cool, about 45 F (7 C), but I was very comfortable sitting
      around the campfire wearing the Marvel layered over a thin
      microfleece top. I also wore the Marvel one windy morning on this
      trip, but by the time we started to hike, I was comfortable in just a
      tee shirt. My overall impressions about the comfort range of the
      Marvel did not change much during this time. I still found it very
      useful in certain conditions, but as the weather became warmer I did
      not need any extra layers.

      Since I often seemed to be carrying the Marvel along in my pack
      rather than wearing it I included a picture of the Marvel next to a
      one-liter bottle to give an idea of how much space it might take up
      in a pack. Outdoor Research does not make any claims about the
      compressibility of the windshirt. This is not the type of jacket
      designed to store in its own pocket.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "size comparison">>
      During the Field Report phase of testing I noticed a few snags and
      one pocket zipper pulling from the seams. These items did not seem
      to get any worse and no new issues with durability developed. As
      stated before, I did not use the jacket nearly as extensively as I
      had earlier in the test. On the Outdoor Research website I followed
      a link to email the company about these issues. I explained the
      problems and asked whether these were warranty issues and what my
      options were. In a little less than 23 hours I received the
      following email response from a customer service
      representative: "Thanks for the email. We would be happy to either
      repair or replace your jacket for you. Please give us a call between
      the hours of 8AM and 5PM, Monday through Friday to obtain a Return
      Authorization number so we can properly track your return. You may
      then send it back. Please be advised that our warranty process
      typically takes between 2-4 weeks from when we receive the item.
      Thanks again." I am not sure if I will return the jacket since I do
      not view these as particularly serious defects, but it was nice to be
      informed of my options so promptly. All of the zippers and
      adjustments continued to operate smoothly. I do not remember the
      zippers ever snagging.

      SUMMARY

      For the most part I feel very positively about the Marvel. It fits
      me great and I like the look and design whether in the field or
      around town. Even during active pursuits it moves well and was never
      constricting. It is a very slim-fitting design that lends itself
      more to being layered underneath a shell than having many layers
      placed beneath it. It blocks the wind very effectively and seemed
      breathable. My biggest complaint was with the the snags and loose
      zipper seam, but Outdoor Research seems willing to rectify these
      durability issues. As more minor complaints, I found the tiny zipper
      pulls much too small to be useful and although I found a few items to
      put in the arm pocket, it does not really seem necessary considering
      how hard it can be to open.

      CONTINUED USE

      I plan to continue to use the Marvel windshirt in the future. I like
      it as a light jacket for hikes on cool days when a little protection
      is needed but a heavier soft shell might be too warm. I also like
      the looks of the jacket and will consider it for casual wear as
      well. I trust it to block the wind in almost all conditions. I will
      not rely on it to repel heavy precipitation, but it works fine for
      snow. I especially liked it for cross country skiing and expect to
      use it next winter.

      Thanks to Outdoor Research and BackpackGearTest.Org for the
      opportunity to test this product.

      Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 10 , May 21, 2007
        On 22/05/07, Chad Fike <abnersdonkey@...> wrote:

        > As requested, here is the Long Term section only of my Outdoor
        > Research Marvel Windshirt test for editing. Thanks-Chad Fike

        Thanks Chad. That was very helpful. Oh good report to :-)

        Andrew

      • mwood_bgt@markandkc.net
        Message 3 of 10 , May 26, 2007
          Chad,

          Here are you official edits for the OR Marvel Windshirt.

          All edits follow the standard set forth in the survival guide:
          EDIT> Must Change
          Edit> Think about changing
          COMMENT> Something to think about

          Very good report. Only one small edit and I'm not even sure that's
          necessary to change!

          Thanks for a great test series!

          Mark Wood
          OR Marvel Windshirt Monitor

          --> Begin Edits

          > OUTDOOR RESEARCH MARVEL WINDSHIRT
          > TEST SERIES BY CHAD EMERSON FIKE
          > LTR
          > May 16, 2007
          >

          > LONG-TERM REPORT
          >
          > LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
          >
          > May 16, 2007
          >
          > Testing continued in the same locations as the Field Report and also
          > included a two day trip to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia at
          > elevations around 3500 ft (1065 m). Temperatures were still below
          > freezing when the test period began, but later reached as high as 80
          > F (27 C). The temperatures and conditions fluctuated greatly during
          > this period. Often conditions were wet and cold with rain gear
          > being more appropriate than a windshirt. Other times the
          > temperatures were warm enough that I was comfortable in only a tee
          > shirt.
          >

          > PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD
          >
          > During the Long-Term Report period I used the Marvel for cross
          > country skiing, jogging, biking, dayhikes and backpacking. I did not
          > use the windshirt nearly as much as during the Field Report period.
          > Often it seemed the temperatures were warm enough that I was shedding
          > the windshirt as soon as the hike began or carrying it along in my
          > pack as an extra layer that was not often required. Most of the
          > experiences I had during this last phase of testing reinforced
          > earlier impressions rather than cause any new revelations.

          Edit> My spell checker seems to like "day hikes" (two words) better than
          one. Not sure which is actually correct though.
        • Chad Fike
          Message 4 of 10 , May 28, 2007
            Mark,
            Thanks for your time editing. I always wonder if the proper spelling
            is dayhikes or day hikes. I looked at some old Backpacker magazines
            and found it written both ways on the cover of different issues. If it
            is acceptable as one word I would like to keep it since I would have to
            you prefer. Thanks again- Chad Fike---

            Message 5 of 10 , May 28, 2007
              On 29/05/07, Chad Fike <abnersdonkey@...> wrote:

              > Mark,
              > Thanks for your time editing. I always wonder if the proper spelling
              > is dayhikes or day hikes. I looked at some old Backpacker magazines
              > and found it written both ways on the cover of different issues. If it
              > is acceptable as one word I would like to keep it since I would have to
              > you prefer. Thanks again- Chad Fike---

              Chad

              Either is okay ... it is not life threatening so I am sure we will survive
              with either spelling :-).

              Andrew, Sir

            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 10 , May 28, 2007
                Kinda like "hipbelt", huh......... ;o)

                That is how English evolves and grows. It is it's greatest strength.

                Jerry

                reviews and tests on the planet.

                > Thanks for your time editing. I always wonder if the proper spelling
                > is dayhikes or day hikes. I looked at some old Backpacker magazines
                > and found it written both ways on the cover of different issues. If
                > it is acceptable as one word I would like to keep it since I would
                > have to go back and change it through the whole report, but I can
                > change it if you prefer. Thanks again- Chad Fike---

                Chad

                Either is okay ... it is not life threatening so I am sure we will survive
                with either spelling :-).

                Andrew, Sir

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Chad Fike
                Message 7 of 10 , May 29, 2007
                  Whew, glad to see the whole thing won't implode due to my spelling of
                  dayhike. On a serious note, on BGT.org I don't have the option
                  to "delete" my old report in order to upload this one. Thanks-Chad Fike

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Priest"
                  <apriest@...> wrote:

                  > Chad
                  >
                  > Either is okay ... it is not life threatening so I am sure we will
                  survive
                  > with either spelling :-).
                  >
                  > Andrew, Sir

                • Andrew Priest
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 31, 2007
                    Hi Chad

                    Did this get sorted? If not can you please post the link and date of the
                    report so a moderator can sort for you.

                    Regards
                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 31, 2007
                      Everything is good to go and I posted the LTR- Thanks, Chad Fike

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2, 2007
                        Great.

                        Andrew, sir

                        Everything is good to go and I posted the LTR- Thanks, Chad Fike