BIP - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    Message 1 of 26 , May 8, 2007
      BIP - May 8 - Ed Morse

      Back from a good hike. Met another BGTer

      Ed M
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 26 , May 8, 2007
        > BIP - May 8 - Ed Morse
        > Back from a good hike. Met another BGTer

        You should be careful. I hear those people are all psycho or something.

        Shane
      • Edwin Morse
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 7, 2007
          I am BIP for the week from hiking and workshops in Minnesota.

          I will be leaving Saturday 8/11/07 for a week to visit in Maine.

          Ed Morse
        • Edwin Morse
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 20, 2007
            BIP - Ed Morse

            Back from driving to Maine to visit youngest son. Only got in one day
            hike.

            Leaving in 6 days for 15 days backpacking.

            Ed M
          • Edwin Morse
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 14, 2007
              BIP Ed Morse

              I'm back from 15 great days on Isle Royale. Sun, clouds, rain and cold -
              great time for gear testing.
              Now to get some reports written before I go traveling again in 11 days.

              Ed M
            • Edwin Morse
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 10, 2007
                BIP - Ed Morse

                Almost forgot I was supposed to do this. I'm back but still trying to
                get in all the apps I think I can test.

                Ed M
              • Edwin Morse
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 4, 2007
                  BIP - Ed Morse Early!

                  Just too many failures to continue.

                  I thought I was all prepared for the weather. The first failure was my
                  sleeping bag. I found the down leak and did a temporary fix with Duct
                  tape. There was a big seam separation.
                  The second failure was my feet - just too cold all night. It got much
                  colder than predicted and my feet have been getting cold at home
                  anyway. I need to find a way to keep my feet warm at night.
                  Then the Optimus Stella stove failed again. The burner head came off in
                  the stuff sack. I had to use pliers (I expected this problem) but even
                  after getting it back together the push button igniter would not work.
                  I used the lighter I started carrying in the stove stuff sack.
                  Then the lake where I had planned to camp was so low there was no
                  reasonable place to filter water. I had enough for cooking and a little
                  left for the hike back.

                  I gave up and came home.
                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 4, 2007
                    > The second failure was my feet - just too cold all night. It got much
                    > colder than predicted and my feet have been getting cold at home
                    > anyway. I need to find a way to keep my feet warm at night.

                    You need to get a set of those winter feet. I used to have some, but I lost
                    them during a move or something.

                    Shane
                  • Andy Mytys
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 4, 2007
                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Edwin Morse"
                      <ed.morse@...> wrote:

                      > BIP - Ed Morse Early!
                      >
                      > Just too many failures to continue.
                      >
                      > The second failure was my feet - just too cold all night. It got
                      > much colder than predicted and my feet have been getting cold at
                      > home anyway. I need to find a way to keep my feet warm at night.

                      You should always take a GSI Lexan Flask along w/you when winter camping.

                      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Bottles/GSI%20Outdoors%2016oz%20Lexan%20Flask/Owner%20Review%20by%20Andrew%20Mytys/Owner%20Review%20by%20Andrew%20Mytys

                      The size I reviewed (16 oz) is no longer available but you can get it
                      in 10 and 18 oz sizes.
                    • rayestrella1
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 4, 2007
                        <ed.morse@...> wrote:

                        > BIP - Ed Morse Early!
                        >
                        > Just too many failures to continue.

                        Welcome to 4-season hiking. The season that is ruled by Murphy.

                        Someday we will sit around and swap winter trip-bailing stories Ed.

                        Welcome back,

                        Ray
                      • Edwin Morse
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 9, 2007
                          Finally back from Florida. Several problems on the way.
                          Then when we got home I had to call for a snow plow before I could get
                          to the garage. We had had freezing rain, snow, more rain and then more
                          snow.

                          I'm through backpacking for the year. Now it is time for skiing and
                          snowshoeing.

                          First I have to finish the LTR for the Optimus Stella.

                          Ed Morse
                        • Edwin Morse
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 6, 2008
                            BIP, Ed Morse

                            Back from 4 days hiking in northern Michigan with compatible hikers.
                            Flooded trails, bushwhacking, over & around down trees made for a great
                            hike. I learned a few new skills and saw some interesting equipment.

                            Ed
                          • Edwin Morse
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 8, 2008
                              BIP. Good 3 day hike with a little gear testing included.

                              Ed Morse
                            • Edwin Morse
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 19, 2008
                                Back from hiking, checking new trail we built and testing gear.

                                Ed Morse
                              • Edwin Morse
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 12, 2008
                                  I was back from meetings and hikes a few days ago.
                                  I just forgot to tell anyone.

                                  Ed M
                                • Edwin Morse
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 1, 2009
                                    I'm back from the ever summer valley of the sun in Arizona to the
                                    beautiful snow of Michigan. Time for some snowshoeing.

                                    Ed M
                                  • Edwin Morse
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 30, 2009
                                      BIP

                                      Back from a long weekend of travel.

                                      Ed Morse
                                    • Edwin Morse
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 28, 2009
                                        BIP - Ed Morse

                                        I got back home late last night, too tired to think. I much prefer hiking to driving, especially three day drives.

                                        I now have two reports due soon.

                                        Ed M
                                      • Edwin Morse
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jun 16, 2009
                                          BIP

                                          Good weekend on an interesting island with some other hikers.

                                          Ed Morse
                                        • Edwin Morse
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 4, 2009
                                            BIP - Ed Morse

                                            Got home late yesterday
                                          • slosteppin
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 20, 2009
                                              BIP - Ed Morse

                                              Finally home from a driving trip to Maine. Too much driving and riding.

                                              I'm ready for hiking in the woods and more gear to test.

                                              Ed M
                                            • Ed
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 23, 2009
                                                BIP from beach walking.

                                                Ed Morse
                                              • Ed
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 13, 2009
                                                  BIP yesterday afternoon.

                                                  I thought I had arranged for someone to have our driveway cleaned.

                                                  I found over 16 inches (34 cm) of snow. Too busy moving snow to even turn on the computer.

                                                  I'm ready for some new snowshoes after the work is done today.

                                                  Ed M
                                                • Ed
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 16, 2010
                                                    We got home a few days ago and I finally got a chance to sit down at the computer. Between a snow filled driveway, several appointments and a computer with problems it has been busy. Now we're planning the next trip in two weeks.

                                                    Ed M
                                                  • Ed
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 11, 2010
                                                      Back again from traveling. Now I'm tired of driving and ready to get out for some hiking and trail maintenance.

                                                      Ed Morse
                                                    • Edwin Morse
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 19, 2013
                                                        Bck to work on reports and testing.