Re: [backpackgeartesters] TEST CALL: Ladies day out!

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2007
      Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
      and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
      one app from you so too bad. :)

      Chuck Carnes

      --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>
      wrote:

      > > Yep...just you ladies will be tsting this one.
      >
      > So unfair...
      >
      > Shane

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2007

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
        <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

        > Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
        > and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
        > one app from you so too bad. :)

        AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Fuzzy
      • CLD
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2007
          Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
          is supposedly "sporty"]?

          -- Chari
          "Not all who wander are lost"

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>
          wrote:

          > > --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@>

          > > > So unfair...
          > > >
          > > > Shane
          > >
          > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
          > <ctcarnes1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
          > > and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
          > > one app from you so too bad. :)
          >
          > AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >
          > Fuzzy

        • Dark Lazarus
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2007
            I did it when I was hiking the AT. I mostly wore a moutain hardware
            kilt, a halter and a shirt. I would switch over to shorts when the
            temps starting rising in the afternoon. I did end up with the
            strangest tan lines after 4 months of hiking.

            See here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianloonie/91203251/in/set-72057594054003933/
            or http://tinyurl.com/33qdq5

            kathryn

            On 5/2/07, CLD <chari.daignault@...> wrote:
            > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
            > is supposedly "sporty"]?
            >
            > -- Chari
            > "Not all who wander are lost"
            >

            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > > --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@>

            > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
            > > <ctcarnes1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
            > > > and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
            > > > one app from you so too bad. :)
            > >
            > > AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            > >
            > > Fuzzy
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • S
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2007
              Yeah, I don't see how this is going to fly. It does look kind of cute for running, if I weighed
              100 pounds or less and uh...ran, but are they trying to give us all lyme disease? Long pants
              on the trail keep the ticks away. But perhaps there are enough trail runners among us.

              Sheila

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

              > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
              > is supposedly "sporty"]?
              >
              > -- Chari
              > "Not all who wander are lost"
            • CLD
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                See -- now I would wear a kilt... no problems with that. But a short
                skirt? Nope. Don't need my lady bits hanging out over the trail. Heh.

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Dark Lazarus"
                <darklazarus@...> wrote:

                > I did it when I was hiking the AT. I mostly wore a moutain hardware
                > kilt, a halter and a shirt. I would switch over to shorts when the
                > temps starting rising in the afternoon. I did end up with the
                > strangest tan lines after 4 months of hiking.
                >
                > See here:
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianloonie/91203251/in/set-72057594054003933/
                > or http://tinyurl.com/33qdq5
                >
                > kathryn
                >
                > On 5/2/07, CLD <chari.daignault@...> wrote:
                > > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                > > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                > >
                > > -- Chari
                > > "Not all who wander are lost"
                > >

                > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@>

                > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes

                > > > AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                > > >
                > > > Fuzzy
                > > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • CLD
                Message 7 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                  I trail run... but no way I'd do it in a skirt. I'd scare the deer. :0)

                  -- Chari
                  "Not all who wander are lost"

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                  > Yeah, I don't see how this is going to fly. It does look kind of
                  cute for running, if I weighed
                  > 100 pounds or less and uh...ran, but are they trying to give us all
                  lyme disease? Long pants
                  > on the trail keep the ticks away. But perhaps there are enough trail
                  runners among us.

                  > Sheila
                  >
                  > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@>
                  wrote:

                  > > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                  > > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                  > >
                  > > -- Chari
                  > > "Not all who wander are lost"

                • S
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                    More importantly,
                    spandex + exercise + no shower = severe infection

                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

                    > See -- now I would wear a kilt... no problems with that. But a short
                    > skirt? Nope. Don't need my lady bits hanging out over the trail. Heh.
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                      > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                      > is supposedly "sporty"]?

                      I know it's endlessly shocking, but I do actually hike in a skirt when other
                      people are about...

                      Shane
                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                        > OK, i weigh 142 lbs/64 kg and i have only intermittent periods of
                        > shame.

                        I'm 230 with no shame at all. That's probably part of the problem...

                        Shane
                      • Jo Ann Moffi
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                          I trail run too... I have a similar item already with the built in shorts
                          underneath the skirt and I LOVE it. I would NEVER wear just spandex (or any
                          other technical fabric) alone... its just not a pretty sight. But with the
                          skirt overtop its actually pretty cool.

                          This skirt/short looks to be made of an even better fabric for the shorts
                          portion, VERY breatheable from what the website says. I think that would
                          make it a good test... the breathability of the fabric underneath. The
                          breeze benefit of a skirt without the fear of showing off more than you
                          bargained for if it blows up a bit. :O

                          Jo Ann

                          On 5/2/07, S <geosheila@...> wrote:

                          > More importantly,
                          > spandex + exercise + no shower = severe infection
                          >
                          > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com<backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>,
                          > "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > See -- now I would wear a kilt... no problems with that. But a short
                          > > skirt? Nope. Don't need my lady bits hanging out over the trail. Heh.

                        • Emma Eyeball
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                            OK, i weigh 142 lbs/64 kg and i have only intermittent periods of
                            shame. i'll start slapping together an app for this, but i am REALLY
                            pressed for time right now and may not get it in time (i leave for a
                            week-long camping trip in a few days AND this is my week to host my
                            son's pre-school co-op).

                            -colleen
                          • Emma Eyeball
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                              Application To Test the SkirtSports GymGirl

                              I have read the test reporting requirements (v. 0609) and will comply.

                              Name: Colleen Porter
                              Age: 32
                              Gender: Female
                              Height: 5'8"/173 cm
                              Weight: 143 lb/65 kg
                              Email address: tarbubble@...
                              Location: Orange County, CA
                              Date: May 2, 2007

                              Size: Medium

                              Preferred color: black
                              Second choice: pink crush

                              Backpacking Background

                              I've been backpacking since 1995. Until 2002 I was a traditional
                              heavyweight packer (emphasis on heavy), but then I had kids and
                              switched to quasi-ultralight so I could bring them along. I sew some
                              of our own gear (tent, tarps, stuff sacks, down quilt, down jackets).
                              Our usual haunts are the mountains and deserts of southern
                              California, with occasional jaunts to the Sierra Nevada and other
                              reasonably close destinations. In the summer, I typically spend a
                              month in northwestern Montana. On my own, my dry pack weight is
                              hovering around 10 lbs/4.5 kg, of which 2 lbs/0.9 kg is the backpack
                              itself.
                              I don't need any incentive to try a hiking skirt. I've already been
                              trying it, with mixed results, but I want it to WORK so I'm excited to
                              try the GymGirl.

                              Anticipated Field Conditions

                              In the next four months, I will definitely visit my local mountains
                              multiple times - the Santa Ana, San Gabriel, San Bernardino and San
                              Jacinto Mountains. We will be in one of them May 25-26 on an
                              overnighter (no route decided on yet). June is unscheduled, but will
                              involve at least one car-camp with my boys and at least one
                              backpacking trip. In July I will spend seven days camping & hiking on
                              the California coast (where I sustained a terrible sunburn last year),
                              then hopefully at least two weeks in northwestern Montana (which will
                              include a trip to Glacier National Park and the Highline trail, with
                              lots of time above treeline). And in August & September I will be
                              backpacking, camping and day hiking in the Sierra Nevada, although no
                              routes have been decided on just yet.

                              One of our family resolutions this year is to get in at least one
                              family backpacking trip per month and as many family day hikes as we
                              can. This is in addition to any solo hikes or overnight trips I can
                              squeeze in (got one coming up next weekend). So I have no doubt that
                              I will be able to exceed the minimum requirements for the test period.

                              Weather from now on will mostly be warm and will get even warmer. Our
                              winter was a big bust and summer is coming quickly, so I expect clear
                              skies & dry, dry weather close to home. Nights at higher elevations
                              will still be cool to cold, but daytime temperatures will absolutely
                              go over 100 F/38 C during the test period. In Montana, thunderstorms
                              & humidity are possibilities.

                              Test Plan

                              If selected for this test, I will wear the GymGirl a LOT. I am
                              typically at the gym 3-4 times a week (training for a possible climb
                              of Rainier this fall) and hiking on the weekends. Now, of course
                              using it at the gym is not the same as field use, but it will help me
                              establish durability. Will it pill up or start to fray? Will the
                              seams hold up under heavy use and repeated washing?

                              Now for field use. Can I layer my long johns over the shorties but
                              under the skirt? Can I shove the skirt into rain pants? Is it a PITA
                              to go to the bathroom in the forest while wearing this thing? How
                              easy is it to get on and off, especially over shoes? Are the mesh
                              shorties long enough to cut down on the mega thigh chafing I get when
                              I do 18+ miles in a day? Are they breathable and cool, or will I
                              overheat and wish I could cut them out? I know I can shove an iPod in
                              one of the pockets, but what else will fit? Map? Lip balm? Pocket
                              knife? And will the shorties really keep me cool but concealed, or
                              will I end up giving a see-through peep show if I stretch out in them?

                              Speaking of fit, how accurate is their size chart? Most of their
                              buyers will probably be ordering off the internet, so this is an
                              important facet. Does the elastic waistband roll or stay nicely flat?
                              Although I'm in decent shape, I've had 2 kids and my stomach is not
                              as tight & flat as I'd like it to be, so with elastic waistbands it's
                              critical that the rise & fit be right or it will roll and drive me
                              crazy. Also, I fear the shorties will have a tendency to roll up –
                              will they stay in place or will I make myself crazy having to
                              constantly adjust them?

                              These and any other issues that come to light during the course of
                              testing will be reported on. Thank you for considering my application.

                              All of my previously written reports can be viewed here:

                              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/tarbubble

                              Owner Reviews

                              Kelty Kangaroo http://tinyurl.com/9w5pj

                              Bearikade Expedition http://tinyurl.com/dn6bh

                              Teva Women's Wraptor http://tinyurl.com/a6fgb

                              Land's End Down Bunting http://tinyurl.com/cynxa

                              BackpackingLight Titanium Esbit Stove http://tinyurl.com/ew4l8

                              Currently testing

                              SteriPen Adventurer (LTR due May 8)
                              Icebreaker Women's tops (LTR phase)
                              Silva Outdoor Computer (FR due May 15)

                              Currently serving as monitor for the 32North STABIicers Lite test series.

                              Current Applications

                              AquaStar mUV
                              Nuun Electrolyte tablets
                            • Jason Boyle
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 2, 2007
                                Enough please. If you don't like it, fine don't apply. Your kibitizing
                                is potentially influencing those that want to apply. This goes for any
                                test call.

                                Jason B
                                Test Mod

                              • JimSabis@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                  In a message dated 5/3/2007 1:59:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  shane@... writes:

                                  > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                                  > is supposedly "sporty"]?

                                  I know it's endlessly shocking, but I do actually hike in a skirt when other
                                  people are about...

                                  Shane

                                  ##############

                                  I picked up a Mountain Kilt on sale this winter and plan to use it several
                                  times this year (Ted, consider yourself warned!). I love wearing it around the
                                  house, much to the dismay of my wife and daughter. Nancy was mortified when I
                                  wore it while taking out the trash one day.

                                  I'm a little iffy on wearing it in my Lost Pond canoe and kayak, tho. I will
                                  be wearing it around camp!

                                  Jim S.

                                  "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
                                  not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
                                  alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
                                  remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                    'Endlessly shocking' is not EVEN CLOSE to the words I
                                    was thinking. :)

                                    Chuck Carnes

                                    --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • JimSabis@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                      In a message dated 5/3/2007 2:16:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                      shane@... writes:

                                      > OK, i weigh 142 lbs/64 kg and i have only intermittent periods of
                                      > shame.

                                      I'm 230 with no shame at all. That's probably part of the problem...

                                      Shane

                                      ##################

                                      OUCH!! Nuts, I bit my tongue.....

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                        > 'Endlessly shocking' is not EVEN CLOSE to the words I
                                        > was thinking. :)

                                        Well, some people are easier to shock than others. :P

                                        Shane
                                      • Edward Ripley-Duggan
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                          Actually, Jim, I was going to warn *you* about the ULA rain wrap I'm
                                          testing, which is very handy. It does bear a remarkable resemblance
                                          to a blue skirt. In fact, it is. I used it briefly last weekend
                                          during a shower, which led to a long, involved, bizarre, and amusing
                                          conversation with my hiking partner, who is fortunately almost
                                          totally unflappable. It is very useful, and certainly a conversation
                                          piece (or possibly a conversation killer). I would probably balk at
                                          wearing it to the laundromat on a thru-hike, as Brian Frankle suggests.

                                          Ted.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                            In a message dated 5/3/2007 3:02:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                            erd@... writes:

                                            Actually, Jim, I was going to warn *you* about the ULA rain wrap I'm
                                            testing, which is very handy. It does bear a remarkable resemblance
                                            to a blue skirt. In fact, it is. I used it briefly last weekend
                                            during a shower, which led to a long, involved, bizarre, and amusing
                                            conversation with my hiking partner, who is fortunately almost
                                            totally unflappable. It is very useful, and certainly a conversation
                                            piece (or possibly a conversation killer). I would probably balk at
                                            wearing it to the laundromat on a thru-hike, as Brian Frankle suggests.

                                            Ted.

                                            ##############

                                            LOL!!!!!

                                            We will *have* to team up soon! We should get some good rumors going!

                                            Jim S.

                                            "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
                                            not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
                                            alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
                                            remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

                                          • WoodlandSprite
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 3, 2007
                                              All:
                                              I weigh well over 100 lbs and I wear one running and hiking. It is way more comfortable than wearing shorts that ride up and while I do get odd looks, every now and again, I no longer run in shorts and a good portion of my hiking is done in a sport skirt.

                                              -Stephanie

                                              S <geosheila@...> wrote:
                                              Yeah, I don't see how this is going to fly. It does look kind of cute for running, if I weighed
                                              100 pounds or less and uh...ran, but are they trying to give us all lyme disease? Long pants
                                              on the trail keep the ticks away. But perhaps there are enough trail runners among us.

                                              Sheila

                                              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

                                              > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                                              > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                                              >
                                              > -- Chari
                                              > "Not all who wander are lost"

                                              ---
                                              shop: Spritely Goods - beautifully handcrafted supplies & patterns for wool fans - a portion of each sale benefits the following charities: Komen Foundation, Heifer International & Best Friends Animal Society
                                              http://spritelygoods.com