FR Integral Designs eVent Bivy - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      Please find the field report portion of my FR below. The whole report
      can be view at: http://tinyurl.com/yps2c8 I am still a little fuzzy
      on how we should be dating the top of the report, can someone tell me
      if what I did was acceptable.

      cheers

      Kathryn

      --
      Field Report:
      April 30 2007

      I have had a chance to take the bivy out several times. The first time
      was just a simple overnight on my living room floor mostly to see how
      I would react to the bivy's low head room and to familiarize myself
      with the bivy and the space constraints. The bivy is actually quite
      spacious compared to the mummy bag I typically use when backpacking. I
      found that the bivy in no way restricted my sleeping room when I was
      inside a sleeping bag. I did notice that the bivy does add to the
      temperature rating on my sleeping bag. One night the temperature
      dropped to between 50 and 55 F (10 - 12 C). Normally I would be quite
      chilled in my 30 F (0 C) bag but combined with the bivy, I didn't
      notice the cold. I have not yet had any problems with condensation. I
      did have a problem with heat build up but that was when I was sleeping
      on the living room floor. I simply unzipped the top section and
      flipped it back and I was much better.

      I have not encountered any inclemental weather yet. Mostly the weather
      has been dry and cool. The few nights I have taken the bivy out, there
      was a gentle breeze and fresh air easily entered the bivy through the
      little stove pipe like opening. I haven't had a problem with fresh air
      yet. The wire that keeps the bivy away from my face does have to be
      reformed every time I set up the bivy. I don't always managed to get
      the wire formed correctly as sometimes the top of the bivy is close to
      my face. If I close my eyes I don't notice it much. It also helps that
      I sleep on my stomach. The weather has still been a little too cool to
      use the bug net feature. While the bugs were out the last trip, it was
      cool enough that I zipped the bivy up all the way. I haven't had any
      bugs enter through the little stove pipe opening, yet.

      In setting up for the night, it is much easier to lay out my air
      mattress on top of the bivy and attach my sleeping bag to the air
      mattress then slide the whole system into the bivy. I am currently
      using a Big Agnes sleep system which allows me to easily set up for
      the night within the bivy. I then sit on the top of the sleeping bag
      and pull off my sandals. I usually tuck my sandals under the top of my
      air mattress to act as a pseudo-pillow, so I lifted the top bivy and
      placed my sandals under the bivy. While this is not complete
      protection, I also feel that my sandals are somewhat protected from
      the elements. I am hoping for a good rainfall so I can determine how
      much protection this overhang provides.

      So far the bivy is in excellent condition. As there were no pine trees
      in the area, I have not picked up any pine pitch on the bottom of the
      bivy. I have not had to wash the bivy in any way yet. Mostly I just
      hold up the bottom end and shake out the loose debris. I do have some
      trouble getting the bivy rolled down tight enough to fit back into the
      provided stuff sack. It is not that the stuff sack is too small, but
      rather it seems I have to fold the bivy down to the right size before
      I start rolling it. The metal hoop restricts how much the bivy can be
      folded before rolling can occur. The seams are still holding up well
      and the seal sealing is in great shape. I hope to take this bivy out
      in a good rainfall to see how the floor and the seam sealing hold up
      to rain. I did spend one night on a tent platform. As the weather
      warms up I will also be looking at the effectiveness of the bug
      netting. I will be looking in to how effective the netting will be
      when there is no support to keep it away from my face.

      The field conditions I have so far encountered have been relatively
      easy climbs. The two real trips, not counting my floor, have been
      overnights near the Tom Floyd Wayside shelter near the Shenandoah
      Nation Park. Elevation is 1900 feet (579 m). The temperatures where
      about 65 and 80 F (18 and 27 C) on the two trips and dropped to about
      45 and 55 F (8 and 12 C) at night. The weather was dry with some to
      little humidity.

      This concludes my field report on the Integral Designs Crysallis Bivy.
      The long term report will be amended onto this report in two months
      time and will include more field testing data and long term wear.
      Please check back then for further information on the Crysallis Bivy.
    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        > I am still a little fuzzy
        > on how we should be dating the top of the report, can someone tell me
        > if what I did was acceptable.
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > Kathryn

        Not only Acceptable, but Perfect!

        Jet

      • Jenn K.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2007
          Thank you for your FR, your edits will follow. They will take the
          following format:

          EDIT: Must be changed.
          Edit: Should be changed but will be left to your discretion.
          Comment: Just that or something to think about.

          ***It is my understanding that the date of the current report should
          me in the title area of the report. I think you are OK since the IR
          and the FR are listed below the title.***

          ***Field Report: April 30 2007

          EDIT: Your anchor is not working for the field report.

          ***The first time was just a simple overnight on my living room floor

          Comment: I do not understand the relevance of using it on the living
          room floor. Maybe a Mod should chime in on this one.

          ***One night the temperature dropped to between 50 and 55 F (10 - 12
          C). Normally I would be quite chilled in my 30 F (0 C) bag but
          combined with the bivy , I didn't notice the cold. I have not yet had
          any problems with condensation. I did have a problem with heat build
          up but that was when I was sleeping on the living room floor. I
          simply unzipped the top section and flipped it back and I was much
          better.

          Comment: I do not think that we are supposed to be testing (and
          writing about) gear in our living rooms. This is a bivy to be used
          outside.

          ***I have not encountered any inclemental weather yet.

          EDIT: Change "inclemental" to inclement

          ***I don't always managed to get the wire formed correctly

          EDIT: Change "managed" to manage

          Kathryn, go ahead and upload when you are ready.

          Jenn K.
        • Jenn K.
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2007
            Here is an additional EDIT that I forgot to include.

            ***The temperatures where about 65 and 80 F (18 and 27 C) on the two
            trips and dropped to about 45 and 55 F (8 and 12 C) at night.

            EDIT: Change "where" to were.

            Jenn K.
          • Dark Lazarus
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2007
              Yay! Thanks for letting me know I was heading the right way. The
              trail can be a little murky sometimes.

              kathryn