IR AlpineAire Foods - Jo Ann Moffi

  • Jo
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2007
      Hello mystery monitor,

      For your editing pleasure:

      http://snipurl.com/1iv34

      Thanks!
      Jo Ann

      ******************

      ALPINEAIRE FOODS

      INITIAL REPORT: April 30, 2007

      Name Jo Ann Moffi
      Age 33
      Gender Female
      Height 5'6" (168 cm)
      Weight 175 lbs (79 kg)
      Email Address jomoffi AT gmail DOT com
      City, State, Country Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

      Backpacking Background:
      I was introduced to backpacking about 15 years ago when I met my
      husband. We have been backpacking, canoe camping, car camping, hiking,
      and participating in all sorts of outdoor activities ever since. We
      live in a border town (US & Canada), so we spend lots of time in both
      countries for our outdoor excursions. When making a decision on gear,
      I like to go lightweight and practical. I don't like to carry around
      extraneous bits and pieces.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: TyRy, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2007
      MSRP:
      Pepper Steak with Rice: $6.75
      Mountain Chili: $8.99
      Chicken Dijon: $6.75
      Bandito Scramble: $5.23
      Chocolate Mudslide Pie: $4.50
      Listed Weight:
      Pepper Steak with Rice: 170 g (6 oz)
      Mountain Chili: 170 g (6 oz)
      Chicken Dijon: 206 g (7.25 oz)
      Bandito Scramble: 99 g (3.5 oz)
      Chocolate Mudslide Pie:162 g (5.75 oz)
      Actual Weight:
      Pepper Steak with Rice: 203 g (7.2 oz)
      Mountain Chili: 194 g (6.8 oz)
      Chicken Dijon: 242 g (8.6 oz)
      Bandito Scramble: 126 g (4.4 oz)
      Chocolate Mudslide Pie: 196 g (6.9 oz)

      *Please note: my weights are done with the food in the packages. This
      may explain the discrepancy between the weights listed by the
      manufacturer and my actual measurements.

      INITIAL REPORT
      Item Received: April 30, 2007

      My package from AlpineAire Foods contained one pouch of each of the
      following foods:
      Pepper Steak with Rice
      Mountain Chili
      Chicken Dijon
      Bandito Scramble
      Chocolate Mudslide Pie

      Each of the pouches are in a generic AlpineAire Foods labelled package
      with individual stickers pasted on the front indicating what each
      pouch contains on the front and another label with the Nutritional
      Facts of the food on the back.

      Each of the labels on the back of the packages includes the
      Instructions on preparing the food and the ingredient listing in
      addition to the Nutritional Facts. The Nutritional Facts also includes
      a sampling of the vitamin and mineral analysis and how the Percent of
      Daily Values compare on a 2000 calorie diet. I'm not going to go into
      the minute detail of each Nutrition Fact label here as it is readily
      available on the manufacturer's website.

      The calories per meal seem to be a bit on the skimpy side for someone
      who may have hiked 12 - 16 km (7.5 - 10 mi) in one day. I can see that
      I will have to supplement my meals with additional food to replenish
      the calories I burn during a day's worth of backpacking.

      The packaging of the foods seem to be a bit more than necessary for
      what each pouch contains. When I slide the food all the way down in
      the package, I can fold each one more than halfway over with the
      excess packaging. I'm certainly not a gram weenie when it comes to
      backpacking, but this still seems wasteful. There is also a
      considerable amount of the package - about 6.35 cm (2.5 in) - that is
      above the resealable portion of the packaging that is just going to be
      torn off and thrown away.

      Interestingly, all but the Bandito Scramble are 'No Cooking Required'
      foods. The Bandito Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs are once
      the water has been added to the mix. The rest of the foods are 'add
      water and let stand 12-15 minutes' preparations. All of the foods
      carry a warning to remove the oxygen absorber prior to adding water. I
      have not tried out any of the foods, but the instructions seem pretty
      straight forward and should be easy enough to follow.

      This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
      this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
      Please check back then for further information.

      Thank you to TyRy, Inc. and BackpackGearTest for the privilege of
      testing this food.
    • Rick Allnutt
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2007
        EDIT: IR AlpineAire Foods - Jo Ann Moffi
        Monitor: Rick Allnutt

        Jo Ann wrote:

        > Hello mystery monitor,

        (I have accepted the monitorship of this test, so you will have to bear
        with me for both of your reports.)

        > For your editing pleasure:
        >
        > http://snipurl.com/1iv34
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Jo Ann
        >
        > ******************

        I edited from the html version in the test folder.

        For the MSRP line, you need to add a note that all prices are in US dollars.

        Each of the pouches are in a generic AlpineAire Foods labelled package
        ### labeled

        The Bandito Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs are once the water
        has been added to the mix.
        ### maybe you meant "fresh eggs are added once the water.."

        Comment: I have never, ever seen a backpacking meal that requires
        addition of fresh eggs. Perhaps you will comment on the availability of
        fresh eggs in the woods in your field report. I've never found one. I
        found a six pack of beer once, but never a couple fresh eggs.

        For the Field Report, you may file it when you have prepared and eaten
        all the product during backpacking trips. It is expected that you will
        file the report within the next 3 months. Have fun! Looks like this
        test will be easy - as long as the food is of reasonable taste. There
        is no long term report.

        You mentioned that you will be needing to supplement the food because it
        does not have many calories. It is only a style issue, but I would
        never eat a half package, just because they say the serving size is a
        half package. I would eat the two portions without blinking. YMMV, and
        you may do this as you wish.

        Rick
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2007
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Rick Allnutt <rick@...>
          wrote:

          > The Bandito Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs are once the
          water
          > has been added to the mix.
          > ### maybe you meant "fresh eggs are added once the water.."

          *I* read this as "The Bandito Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs
          are cooked once the water has been added to the mix" or "The Bandito
          Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs need to be cooked once the
          water has been added to the mix". Of course, I could be wrong...

          Fuzzy
          I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...
        • Jo Ann Moffi
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2007
            Just realized I only replied to Rick on this. Hence why I'm forwarding
            to the list too.

            Jo Ann

            Thanks for the edits. I have a couple of comments:

            > Each of the pouches are in a generic AlpineAire Foods labelled package
            > ### labeled

            'Labelled' is the Canadian or British spelling. I will change it if
            necessary, but I'd rather leave it as it is.

            > The Bandito Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs are once the water
            > has been added to the mix.
            > ### maybe you meant "fresh eggs are added once the water.."
            >
            > Comment: I have never, ever seen a backpacking meal that requires
            > addition of fresh eggs. Perhaps you will comment on the availability of
            > fresh eggs in the woods in your field report. I've never found one. I
            > found a six pack of beer once, but never a couple fresh eggs.

            You don't need to add fresh eggs, once the water is added to the
            product it is cooked as fresh eggs are. I reworded it to this:

            'Once the water is added to the mix, the Bandito Scramble needs to be
            cooked the same way as fresh eggs.'

            Let me know if this is still not clear.

            > You mentioned that you will be needing to supplement the food because it
            > does not have many calories. It is only a style issue, but I would
            > never eat a half package, just because they say the serving size is a
            > half package. I would eat the two portions without blinking. YMMV, and
            > you may do this as you wish.

            I probably would do the same as it is most likely I would be eating
            alone when I prepare these meals.

            We are also going to need a folder created for this test. I will
            upload to it as soon as someone tells me its there.

            Thanks again!
            Jo Ann

            --
            "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything." -Bart Simpson
          • Jo Ann Moffi
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2007
              You are right. I think I've got it a bit clearer now.

              Jo Ann

              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2007
                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jo Ann Moffi"
                <jomoffi@...> wrote:

                > > The Bandito Scramble needs to be cooked as fresh eggs are once
                the water
                > > has been added to the mix.
                > > ### maybe you meant "fresh eggs are added once the water.."
                >
                > You don't need to add fresh eggs, once the water is added to the
                > product it is cooked as fresh eggs are.

                Woo hoo! I got it right.

                > I reworded it to this:
                >
                > 'Once the water is added to the mix, the Bandito Scramble needs to
                be
                > cooked the same way as fresh eggs.'

                Better. I caught your meaning the first time, but it took a little
                thought - and I'm a fairly smart cookie...

                Fuzzy