APPLICATION to test - Julbo - Race Sunglasses - Larry Kirschner

  • asklarry99
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007
      Please accept my application to test the Julbo Race sunglasses. I
      have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide,
      version 0609, and I will follow all requirements.

      Biographical Information
      Name: Larry Kirschner
      Age: 43
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg) and no longer falling
      Email address: asklarry98@...
      City, State, Country: Columbus, Ohio USA

      Backpacking Background

      I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that
      my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I
      typically do a 6-8 weekend hikes per year, and had the pleasure of 2
      weeks backpacking at the Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmarron, New
      Mexico last summer. I like to travel "in comfort", so I often pack a
      little heavier than needed, but I'm trying to cut down. With all of
      my investment into this trip, I expect my wife and I will continue to
      trek long after the kids are gone…

      Info specific for this test:

      I really wasn't going to apply for this test, but I looked at the
      Julbo website and something there caught my eyes and told me that I
      MUST applicate for this item. Here is what I saw: "(blah blah blah)…
      the exclusive JULBO adjustable nose system means…(blah, blah
      blah)..the exclusive JULBO PARABOLIC NOSE SYSTEM".

      Now, I don't normally discuss my personal problems on
      BackpackGearTest.org, but I have to confess that one of my big issues
      in hiking (as in life) is that I have a VERY wide bridge on my
      nose. Overall, my schnozz is not overpowering, and in fact, I
      doubt you would notice that it is especially wide. However, as
      somewhat of an expert in this area, I can tell you that most people
      have a fairly narrow area at the tops of their noses, providing a
      nice area on which to rest a pair of glasses. The nose graciously
      flares out as it moves down and forward. In my case, alas, there is
      some extra cartilage accumulated (not the result of a broken nose, as
      far as I know), so that my nose is actually the broadest on top; it
      then gets thinner moving down and then more normally wide at the
      bottom. When I have gone to get fitted for glasses, it is rare for an
      optometrist/opthalmologist to find more than 1-2 pairs in the store
      that will fit across the top of my honker. The situation is only
      worse with sunglasses. I have spent many hours in sporting goods
      stores (sunglass shacks, department stores, etc) looking for a decent
      pair that would fit. Suffice it to say that it is always a
      struggle. Right now I am wearing a pair of metal-framed fishing
      sunglasses with the nose pads pulled as far out as possible. This
      works ok, but I would really LOVE to find a pair of hiking sunglasses
      that fits, and I guarantee you that, if selected for this test, I
      will put the "exclusive JULBO adjustable nose system" to its most
      stringent test.

      Field Information

      Over the next 4-6 months, I expect to be out on the trail perhaps
      once a month, which should provide a good variety of testing
      environments for the glasses and allow me assess their durability. It
      will be important to determine how these glasses hold up under
      routine hiking conditions, both in terms of the sturdiness of the
      frames, as well as the resilience of the lenses and lens coatings.
      Assuming that the test starts in the next 1-2 months (May-June) and
      runs until November-December, the weather in Ohio (where I do most of
      my hiking) will change with the seasons, and provide a lot of variety
      for the test. For the next month or two, it will be rainy, with
      temperatures ranging around 50 F (10 C) at night up to 80 F (26 C)
      during the day, followed by a hot, dry, and sunny summer. These
      conditions will provide a good test for the ability of the glasses to
      provide adequate ventilation during hiking. I will also be canoeing
      in the Atikaki wilderness of Canada this July, which would provide an
      opportunity to try them out on the water and see how well they
      function in that setting. If the sunglasses really fit, I will also
      use them for other strenuous activities, mostly biking and some
      jogging, which will also let me see how well they stay on during
      vigorous (?) exercise. As the fall and winter approach, I will use
      the glasses during somewhat cooler treks (as long as the sun
      cooperates), where it can run from near 30 F (0 C) at night up to the
      50 or 60 F (10-15 C) during the day. I want to see how the glasses
      do in the cool weather, and particularly see if they have a problem
      with fogging.

      In summary, I think I can provide a solid testing environment for
      these glasses, but I really want to see if they will stand up under
      the strains of dealing with a Kirschner nose.

      Previously Written Reports
      Owner Reviews

      Completed Tests-None (yet)

      Current Tests-
      Pocket Guides Books Guide to Outdoor Survival
      Pocket Guides Books Guide to Hiking/Backpacking
      TCK-Slog Series TOPO socks

      Tests you are Monitoring-None

      Thank you for considering this application, and thanks to Julbo for
      providing these sunglasses (with their exclusive parabolic nose
      system) for evaluation.

      -larry kirschner