TEST CALL: Ladies day out!

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 30, 2007
      Yep...just you ladies will be tsting this one.

      BGT and SkirtSports will be providing 3 lucky ladies
      with the GymGirl SportsSkirt for testing.

      Here is some info:
      The TRIKS wardrobe staple, this skirt with built-in
      shorties is everything you’ve ever asked for. Name
      it…the GymGirl can do it! Made for running, from the
      local 5k to 26.2, the GymGirl pulls out all the stops.
      Lightweight, luxurious SpeedSilk fabric gently flows
      across your thighs while the TRIKSmesh built-in
      shorties with a 3.5 inch inseam provide modesty and
      booty-enhancing subtle compression. Yes, the shorties
      actually enhance your womanly curves. Side slits allow
      for a little extra freedom without showing it all!

      http://www.skirtsports.com/products/gymgirl-2-pockets.cfm

      Here's the test scoop:
      *US Only
      *Women only
      *Newbie limit DOES NOT apply
      *Please include 'SkirtSport' and 'Application' in the
      subject line.

      This call will end Monday night May 7th.

      Get'em done and get'em in!
      Chuck Carnes

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Chuck Carnes

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 30, 2007
          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
          <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

          > gently flows across your thighs
          > booty-enhancing
          > enhance your womanly curves.
          > showing it all!

          > Get'em done

          O...K...Chuck...

          Ray (he he he)
        • Chuck Carnes
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 30, 2007
            You're just wrong dude...just wrong!

            Chuck :)

            --- rayestrella1 <rayestrella@...> wrote:

            > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck
            > Carnes
            > <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:
            >
            > > gently flows across your thighs
            > > booty-enhancing
            > > enhance your womanly curves.
            > > showing it all!
            >
            > > Get'em done
            >
            > O...K...Chuck...
            >
            > Ray (he he he)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 30, 2007
              > Yep...just you ladies will be tsting this one.

              So unfair...

              Shane
            • Fuzzy
              Message 6 of 27 , May 1 2:04 PM
                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                <shane@...> wrote:

                > > Yep...just you ladies will be tsting this one.
                >
                > So unfair...

                EeeewwwWWWWWW!!!!!!!

                Fuzzy
              • Chuck Carnes
                Message 7 of 27 , May 1 2:18 PM
                  Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
                  and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
                  one app from you so too bad. :)

                  Chuck Carnes

                  --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>
                  wrote:

                  > > Yep...just you ladies will be tsting this one.
                  >
                  > So unfair...
                  >
                  > Shane

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Fuzzy
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 1 2:43 PM

                    <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

                    > Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
                    > and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
                    > one app from you so too bad. :)

                    AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Fuzzy
                  • CLD
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2 5:24 AM
                      Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                      is supposedly "sporty"]?

                      -- Chari
                      "Not all who wander are lost"

                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@>

                      > > > So unfair...
                      > > >
                      > > > Shane
                      > >
                      > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
                      > <ctcarnes1@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
                      > > and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
                      > > one app from you so too bad. :)
                      >
                      > AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      >
                      > Fuzzy

                    • Dark Lazarus
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2 6:06 AM
                        I did it when I was hiking the AT. I mostly wore a moutain hardware
                        kilt, a halter and a shirt. I would switch over to shorts when the
                        temps starting rising in the afternoon. I did end up with the
                        strangest tan lines after 4 months of hiking.

                        See here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianloonie/91203251/in/set-72057594054003933/
                        or http://tinyurl.com/33qdq5

                        kathryn

                        On 5/2/07, CLD <chari.daignault@...> wrote:
                        > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                        > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                        >
                        > -- Chari
                        > "Not all who wander are lost"
                        >

                        > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@>

                        > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
                        > > <ctcarnes1@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Look....you had two chances...the Buff as a halter top
                        > > > and the SportsSkirt as a minnie skirt and I didn't see
                        > > > one app from you so too bad. :)
                        > >
                        > > AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        > >
                        > > Fuzzy
                        > >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • S
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 2 7:42 AM
                          Yeah, I don't see how this is going to fly. It does look kind of cute for running, if I weighed
                          100 pounds or less and uh...ran, but are they trying to give us all lyme disease? Long pants
                          on the trail keep the ticks away. But perhaps there are enough trail runners among us.

                          Sheila

                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

                          > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                          > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                          >
                          > -- Chari
                          > "Not all who wander are lost"
                        • CLD
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 2 8:31 AM
                            See -- now I would wear a kilt... no problems with that. But a short
                            skirt? Nope. Don't need my lady bits hanging out over the trail. Heh.

                            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Dark Lazarus"
                            <darklazarus@...> wrote:

                            > I did it when I was hiking the AT. I mostly wore a moutain hardware
                            > kilt, a halter and a shirt. I would switch over to shorts when the
                            > temps starting rising in the afternoon. I did end up with the
                            > strangest tan lines after 4 months of hiking.
                            >
                            > See here:
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianloonie/91203251/in/set-72057594054003933/
                            > or http://tinyurl.com/33qdq5
                            >
                            > kathryn
                            >
                            > On 5/2/07, CLD <chari.daignault@...> wrote:
                            > > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                            > > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                            > >
                            > > -- Chari
                            > > "Not all who wander are lost"
                            > >

                            > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Fuzzy" <chuck_kime@>

                            > > > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes

                            > > > AaaaahhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            > > >
                            > > > Fuzzy
                            > > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • CLD
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 2 8:33 AM
                              I trail run... but no way I'd do it in a skirt. I'd scare the deer. :0)

                              -- Chari
                              "Not all who wander are lost"

                              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "S" <geosheila@...> wrote:

                              > Yeah, I don't see how this is going to fly. It does look kind of
                              cute for running, if I weighed
                              > 100 pounds or less and uh...ran, but are they trying to give us all
                              lyme disease? Long pants
                              > on the trail keep the ticks away. But perhaps there are enough trail
                              runners among us.

                              > Sheila
                              >
                              > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@>
                              wrote:

                              > > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                              > > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                              > >
                              > > -- Chari
                              > > "Not all who wander are lost"

                            • S
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 2 8:48 AM
                                More importantly,
                                spandex + exercise + no shower = severe infection

                                Message 15 of 27 , May 2 11:59 AM
                                  > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                                  > is supposedly "sporty"]?

                                  I know it's endlessly shocking, but I do actually hike in a skirt when other
                                  people are about...

                                  Shane
                                • Shane Steinkamp
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 2 12:05 PM
                                    > OK, i weigh 142 lbs/64 kg and i have only intermittent periods of
                                    > shame.

                                    I'm 230 with no shame at all. That's probably part of the problem...

                                    Shane
                                  • Jo Ann Moffi
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 2 6:15 PM
                                      I trail run too... I have a similar item already with the built in shorts
                                      underneath the skirt and I LOVE it. I would NEVER wear just spandex (or any
                                      other technical fabric) alone... its just not a pretty sight. But with the
                                      skirt overtop its actually pretty cool.

                                      This skirt/short looks to be made of an even better fabric for the shorts
                                      portion, VERY breatheable from what the website says. I think that would
                                      make it a good test... the breathability of the fabric underneath. The
                                      breeze benefit of a skirt without the fear of showing off more than you
                                      bargained for if it blows up a bit. :O

                                      Jo Ann

                                      On 5/2/07, S <geosheila@...> wrote:

                                      > More importantly,
                                      > spandex + exercise + no shower = severe infection
                                      >
                                      > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com<backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                      > "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > See -- now I would wear a kilt... no problems with that. But a short
                                      > > skirt? Nope. Don't need my lady bits hanging out over the trail. Heh.

                                    • Emma Eyeball
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 2 6:21 PM
                                        OK, i weigh 142 lbs/64 kg and i have only intermittent periods of
                                        shame. i'll start slapping together an app for this, but i am REALLY
                                        pressed for time right now and may not get it in time (i leave for a
                                        week-long camping trip in a few days AND this is my week to host my
                                        son's pre-school co-op).

                                        -colleen
                                      • Emma Eyeball
                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 2 7:09 PM
                                          Application To Test the SkirtSports GymGirl

                                          I have read the test reporting requirements (v. 0609) and will comply.

                                          Name: Colleen Porter
                                          Age: 32
                                          Gender: Female
                                          Height: 5'8"/173 cm
                                          Weight: 143 lb/65 kg
                                          Email address: tarbubble@...
                                          Location: Orange County, CA
                                          Date: May 2, 2007

                                          Size: Medium

                                          Preferred color: black
                                          Second choice: pink crush

                                          Backpacking Background

                                          I've been backpacking since 1995. Until 2002 I was a traditional
                                          heavyweight packer (emphasis on heavy), but then I had kids and
                                          switched to quasi-ultralight so I could bring them along. I sew some
                                          of our own gear (tent, tarps, stuff sacks, down quilt, down jackets).
                                          Our usual haunts are the mountains and deserts of southern
                                          California, with occasional jaunts to the Sierra Nevada and other
                                          reasonably close destinations. In the summer, I typically spend a
                                          month in northwestern Montana. On my own, my dry pack weight is
                                          hovering around 10 lbs/4.5 kg, of which 2 lbs/0.9 kg is the backpack
                                          itself.
                                          I don't need any incentive to try a hiking skirt. I've already been
                                          trying it, with mixed results, but I want it to WORK so I'm excited to
                                          try the GymGirl.

                                          Anticipated Field Conditions

                                          In the next four months, I will definitely visit my local mountains
                                          multiple times - the Santa Ana, San Gabriel, San Bernardino and San
                                          Jacinto Mountains. We will be in one of them May 25-26 on an
                                          overnighter (no route decided on yet). June is unscheduled, but will
                                          involve at least one car-camp with my boys and at least one
                                          backpacking trip. In July I will spend seven days camping & hiking on
                                          the California coast (where I sustained a terrible sunburn last year),
                                          then hopefully at least two weeks in northwestern Montana (which will
                                          include a trip to Glacier National Park and the Highline trail, with
                                          lots of time above treeline). And in August & September I will be
                                          backpacking, camping and day hiking in the Sierra Nevada, although no
                                          routes have been decided on just yet.

                                          One of our family resolutions this year is to get in at least one
                                          family backpacking trip per month and as many family day hikes as we
                                          can. This is in addition to any solo hikes or overnight trips I can
                                          squeeze in (got one coming up next weekend). So I have no doubt that
                                          I will be able to exceed the minimum requirements for the test period.

                                          Weather from now on will mostly be warm and will get even warmer. Our
                                          winter was a big bust and summer is coming quickly, so I expect clear
                                          skies & dry, dry weather close to home. Nights at higher elevations
                                          will still be cool to cold, but daytime temperatures will absolutely
                                          go over 100 F/38 C during the test period. In Montana, thunderstorms
                                          & humidity are possibilities.

                                          Test Plan

                                          If selected for this test, I will wear the GymGirl a LOT. I am
                                          typically at the gym 3-4 times a week (training for a possible climb
                                          of Rainier this fall) and hiking on the weekends. Now, of course
                                          using it at the gym is not the same as field use, but it will help me
                                          establish durability. Will it pill up or start to fray? Will the
                                          seams hold up under heavy use and repeated washing?

                                          Now for field use. Can I layer my long johns over the shorties but
                                          under the skirt? Can I shove the skirt into rain pants? Is it a PITA
                                          to go to the bathroom in the forest while wearing this thing? How
                                          easy is it to get on and off, especially over shoes? Are the mesh
                                          shorties long enough to cut down on the mega thigh chafing I get when
                                          I do 18+ miles in a day? Are they breathable and cool, or will I
                                          overheat and wish I could cut them out? I know I can shove an iPod in
                                          one of the pockets, but what else will fit? Map? Lip balm? Pocket
                                          knife? And will the shorties really keep me cool but concealed, or
                                          will I end up giving a see-through peep show if I stretch out in them?

                                          Speaking of fit, how accurate is their size chart? Most of their
                                          buyers will probably be ordering off the internet, so this is an
                                          important facet. Does the elastic waistband roll or stay nicely flat?
                                          Although I'm in decent shape, I've had 2 kids and my stomach is not
                                          as tight & flat as I'd like it to be, so with elastic waistbands it's
                                          critical that the rise & fit be right or it will roll and drive me
                                          crazy. Also, I fear the shorties will have a tendency to roll up –
                                          will they stay in place or will I make myself crazy having to
                                          constantly adjust them?

                                          These and any other issues that come to light during the course of
                                          testing will be reported on. Thank you for considering my application.

                                          All of my previously written reports can be viewed here:

                                          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/tarbubble

                                          Owner Reviews

                                          Kelty Kangaroo http://tinyurl.com/9w5pj

                                          Bearikade Expedition http://tinyurl.com/dn6bh

                                          Teva Women's Wraptor http://tinyurl.com/a6fgb

                                          Land's End Down Bunting http://tinyurl.com/cynxa

                                          BackpackingLight Titanium Esbit Stove http://tinyurl.com/ew4l8

                                          Currently testing

                                          SteriPen Adventurer (LTR due May 8)
                                          Icebreaker Women's tops (LTR phase)
                                          Silva Outdoor Computer (FR due May 15)

                                          Currently serving as monitor for the 32North STABIicers Lite test series.

                                          Current Applications

                                          AquaStar mUV
                                          Nuun Electrolyte tablets
                                        • Jason Boyle
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 2 7:26 PM
                                            Enough please. If you don't like it, fine don't apply. Your kibitizing
                                            is potentially influencing those that want to apply. This goes for any
                                            test call.

                                            Jason B
                                            Test Mod

                                          • JimSabis@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 3 12:03 PM
                                              In a message dated 5/3/2007 1:59:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                              shane@... writes:

                                              > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                                              > is supposedly "sporty"]?

                                              I know it's endlessly shocking, but I do actually hike in a skirt when other
                                              people are about...

                                              Shane

                                              ##############

                                              I picked up a Mountain Kilt on sale this winter and plan to use it several
                                              times this year (Ted, consider yourself warned!). I love wearing it around the
                                              house, much to the dismay of my wife and daughter. Nancy was mortified when I
                                              wore it while taking out the trash one day.

                                              I'm a little iffy on wearing it in my Lost Pond canoe and kayak, tho. I will
                                              be wearing it around camp!

                                              Jim S.

                                              "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
                                              not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
                                              alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
                                              remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 3 12:16 PM
                                                'Endlessly shocking' is not EVEN CLOSE to the words I
                                                was thinking. :)

                                                Chuck Carnes

                                                --- Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • JimSabis@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 3 12:18 PM
                                                  In a message dated 5/3/2007 2:16:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                                  shane@... writes:

                                                  > OK, i weigh 142 lbs/64 kg and i have only intermittent periods of
                                                  > shame.

                                                  I'm 230 with no shame at all. That's probably part of the problem...

                                                  Shane

                                                  ##################

                                                  OUCH!! Nuts, I bit my tongue.....

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 3 12:43 PM
                                                    > 'Endlessly shocking' is not EVEN CLOSE to the words I
                                                    > was thinking. :)

                                                    Well, some people are easier to shock than others. :P

                                                    Shane
                                                  • Edward Ripley-Duggan
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 3 1:00 PM
                                                      Actually, Jim, I was going to warn *you* about the ULA rain wrap I'm
                                                      testing, which is very handy. It does bear a remarkable resemblance
                                                      to a blue skirt. In fact, it is. I used it briefly last weekend
                                                      during a shower, which led to a long, involved, bizarre, and amusing
                                                      conversation with my hiking partner, who is fortunately almost
                                                      totally unflappable. It is very useful, and certainly a conversation
                                                      piece (or possibly a conversation killer). I would probably balk at
                                                      wearing it to the laundromat on a thru-hike, as Brian Frankle suggests.

                                                      Ted.

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 3 1:15 PM
                                                        In a message dated 5/3/2007 3:02:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                                        erd@... writes:

                                                        Actually, Jim, I was going to warn *you* about the ULA rain wrap I'm
                                                        testing, which is very handy. It does bear a remarkable resemblance
                                                        to a blue skirt. In fact, it is. I used it briefly last weekend
                                                        during a shower, which led to a long, involved, bizarre, and amusing
                                                        conversation with my hiking partner, who is fortunately almost
                                                        totally unflappable. It is very useful, and certainly a conversation
                                                        piece (or possibly a conversation killer). I would probably balk at
                                                        wearing it to the laundromat on a thru-hike, as Brian Frankle suggests.

                                                        Ted.

                                                        ##############

                                                        LOL!!!!!

                                                        We will *have* to team up soon! We should get some good rumors going!

                                                        Jim S.

                                                        "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
                                                        not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
                                                        alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
                                                        remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

                                                      • WoodlandSprite
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , May 3 5:44 PM
                                                          All:
                                                          I weigh well over 100 lbs and I wear one running and hiking. It is way more comfortable than wearing shorts that ride up and while I do get odd looks, every now and again, I no longer run in shorts and a good portion of my hiking is done in a sport skirt.

                                                          -Stephanie

                                                          S <geosheila@...> wrote:
                                                          Yeah, I don't see how this is going to fly. It does look kind of cute for running, if I weighed
                                                          100 pounds or less and uh...ran, but are they trying to give us all lyme disease? Long pants
                                                          on the trail keep the ticks away. But perhaps there are enough trail runners among us.

                                                          Sheila

                                                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "CLD" <chari.daignault@...> wrote:

                                                          > Honestly, who wants to hike wearing a halter and a skirt [even if it
                                                          > is supposedly "sporty"]?
                                                          >
                                                          > -- Chari
                                                          > "Not all who wander are lost"

                                                          ---
                                                          shop: Spritely Goods - beautifully handcrafted supplies & patterns for wool fans - a portion of each sale benefits the following charities: Komen Foundation, Heifer International & Best Friends Animal Society
                                                          http://spritelygoods.com