Application to test Blueberry Crisp Clif Bars-Becki S

  • becki_s19
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      Application to test Blueberry Crisp Clif Bars-Becki S

      -Ah, another opportunity to give energy bars a poke, prod, and
      analyze it to a point that would make even Alton Brown's head spin!

      Please accept my application to test Blueberry Crisp Clif Bars. I am
      applying for both Cliff products, and would prefer the Blueberry
      Crisp bars, but would be happy to test the Shot Blocks. I have read
      the BackpackGearTest.org Survival Guide and Bylaws v. 0609, including
      chapters 4, 5, 6 and appendices. I agree to comply with all
      requirements of the bylaws. My Tester Agreement is on file.

      Name: Becki Stacy
      Age: 34
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 3" (1.6 m)
      Weight: 155 lb (70.3 kg)
      Email address: becki_s19 at yahoo dot com
      Location: Royal Oak, Michigan, USA

      Background:
      I got bitten by the backpacking bug in 1994 when I was a volunteer at
      the Grand Canyon. My first backpacking trip was the same week I
      arrived, with gear borrowed from trail crew supplies. My husband and
      I enjoy car camping and backpacking (we use a double-wall tent),
      mostly in Michigan. We've pared down our pack weight a little, and we
      are continually re-working our gear list to cut weight without giving
      up the luxury items we enjoy (such as food that involves more than
      boiling water).

      Field Information:
      Assuming the Cliff bars are delivered in late April, my testing
      conditions for the 2 monts will range from mid spring trips to warmer
      trips in late June, and probably into July, with temperatures
      possibly as high or higher than 95 F/35 C. The majority of my trips
      will be in Michigan's Lower Peninsula or in Ohio, though we're
      looking at a couple-day trip to New York or Pennsylvania. I am
      planning a 2-4 night trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes/the Manitau Islands
      for late spring/early summer, at least one 2-nighter (either on the
      Manistee River/North Country Trail loop or at one of the parks in
      Ohio I've been looking into), and at least 3 overnighters at places
      such as Pinckney Recreation area or the Jordan River in Michigan.
      Mileage will vary from around 4 miles/6.4 km to 10 miles/16.1 km per
      day, and will vary from mostly flat to some small hills, possibly
      moderate hills depending where we end up in Pennsylvania/New York.
      All of these trips are not within the 2-month time frame, though a
      trip in southern Ohio and the Manistee River/North Country Loop are
      likely candidates for the first few trips.

      Test Plan:
      After my test series with ProBar's Original and Whole Berry Blast, I
      found that having energy bars on my trips were a boon, even if I
      wasn't thrilled with the flavor. Though I do have somewhat of a
      sweet tooth, it's not necessary for me to have sweet snacks on the
      trail, aside from my personal stash of chocolate. As long as an
      energy bar is palatable, helps fill me up and provides an energy
      boost, I'm happy. I have had a couple Clif bars in the past (along
      with PowerBars and others), but it's been a while since I had one, so
      my slate is essentially clean when it comes to testing this product.

      To start, one bar would be sacrificed to provide information on
      taste, texture, and chewyness for the Initial Report. I plan to
      split one bar and test half at room temperature, and half after it
      has been in the freezer overnight. In the field Report stage, I will
      keep a bar on my car's dash to simulate hotter temperatures, to see
      how the consistency of the bar might perform in hotter climates.

      The rest of the bars would accompany me on my backpacking trips, and
      will primarily be used as a mid-hike snack to keep my energy up. If
      I encounter sufficient rain, they might also serve as a breakfast or
      lunch.

      For the Initial Report, I will weigh all the bars on my kitchen
      digital scale to determine the accuracy of the stated weight. I will
      provide information on volume as packaged and the energy bar by
      itself.

      In the Field Report, I will report on how well the bars held up to
      being smushed inside my pack, and if I like the taste, consistency,
      and `mouth feel' of the Blueberry Crisp Clif Bars. Will they be
      sweet, salty, sour, or a mix? Usually I break out the snacks on a
      break, so I'm downing water anyway (when I use the Nalgenes instead
      of a hydration pack), but will the Blueberry crisp bar make me want
      to drink even more water? Will they provide me the `boost' I need
      while hiking? Will I notice a difference if I eat one before
      breakfast (an hour or so before I'm on the trail) like the Clif
      website recommends?

      Previous reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/Becki_s19
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/o4xs5

      Other current duties:
      I am currently testing the REI ridgeline backpack, in the Field
      Testing stage, and the Outdoor Research Celestial Pants & Jacket
      (items not shipped yet). I am the monitor for the Sierra Designs -
      Cirque/Mist sleeping bag and the Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20.