Revised: Application - the Lowe Alpine TFX Summit 65+15 - Kevin H

  • kholling55
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2007
      Coy Boy,
      I revised the application to include the trail type and minimum
      distances.

      Kevin H

      I am applying to test the Lowe Alpine TFX Summit 65+15 Pack

      I have read Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws V. 0609 (especially
      Chapter 5 & 6 which focus on test and report requirements) and agree
      to comply with all requirements. My signed Tester Agreement is on file
      with BGT.

      Biographical Information:

      Name: Kevin Hollingsworth
      Age: 42
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 1" (1.9 m)
      Weight: 195 lb (88 kg)
      Email address: kholling55@...
      City, State, Country: Williamsburg, Virginia. USA

      Backpacking Background:

      I started backpacking and camping when I was in the Scouts. I spent 20
      years
      in the military, which curtailed my personal outdoors adventures. I
      have mostly
      gone camping and then day-hiking in the surrounding area, but have
      been on a few
      multi-day hiking trips. While day-hiking, I normally carry a light
      load, a waist
      pack with mostly food and water, with a few other things. On three to
      four day
      trips, I will carry a pack weighing about 45 - 50 lb (21 - 23 kg). I
      have been
      hiking in Colorado, Korea, Egypt, and most recently Shenandoah.

      Field Information:

      I am planning on a few trips (around 4) in the Shenandoah National Park
      between April and August. The elevation should be around 3000 ft (920 m).
      The weather condition during the testing period will vary. During the
      spring
      season the weather is usually wet, either drizzling or raining, with the
      occasional light snow. The temperature ranges from 25 to 60 F (-4 to
      15 C).
      During the summer season, the weather is usually clear, with some
      occasional
      rain. The normal temperature range is 60 to 85 F (15 to 35 C).

      I am planning a trip to Mount Rogers in the April or May time frame. The
      weather conditions should be similar to those in Shenandoah. The
      elevation will
      be around 5700 ft (1740 m).

      I am planning a trip to the Smokey Mountains National Park. This trip
      should
      be in the June/July time frame. I expect the temperature to be mild,
      60 to 85 F
      (15 to 35 C). The elevation should be around 5500 to 6500 ft (1676 to
      1981 m).

      Most of the trails (Shenandoah National Park and Mount Rogers) I will
      be on are part of the Appalachian Trail or in the general area. This
      will be my first trip to the Smokey Mountain, so I am still in the
      planning stages. The trails will include either class 2 or class 3
      trails as rated by U.S Forest Service and some rock scrabbles. The
      trail length will be at least 4 to 5 miles.

      Test Plan:

      I normally carry a 3930 cu in pack weighing approximately 50 lbs. When
      I am hiking with my daughter, I carry all the common equipment (tent,
      cooking hardware, ect.). The TFX Summit would give me a little extra
      room for some of my stuff.

      For this test, I plan to use the Lowe Alpine TFX Summit 65+15 on all
      my outdoor trips. I plan to evaluate and report on the specific items
      below and anything else that I discovery during the testing period:

      Comfort

      Is it comfortable to wear? Does it have adequate head space? Is the
      Body-shaped harness comfortable? Does the shoulder harness have enough
      wide? Is the harness adjustable enough to fit with different type of
      clothing? How does the waist band feel? How does the sternum strap
      feel? How does the TFX® 9 adjustable back with micro adjust work?

      Load Control

      How does it feel with different types of load? Does the "`Radial'
      side compression" actually "controls the load and creates stability"?
      How stable is the pack on different terrain?

      Functionality

      How easy is it to pack and unpack? Can I reach my water bottle without
      taking off the pack? The manufacture says that it is "Hydration system
      compatible". How easy is it to use and what size bladder is used? Does
      the hydration system take up much of the pack inner capacity when
      used? Is it easy to use? How easy are the zippers to use? Will they be
      easily snagged on the packs fabric? How easy is it to strap on my
      trekking poles? Is there a place for my sleeping mat to strap on the
      outside? How easy will it be to store my tent and its poles? Is there
      a place specifically for my sleeping bag? Will it fit in the lower
      compartment? Is the GPS pocket large enough to store other equipment?
      Is there anyplace to clip carabineers on the outside? How well does
      the rain cover work?

      Durability

      How durable is the pack? Does it stain easy? How durable is the
      NHC330/N630/Ballistic fabric? How durable are the zippers? How durable
      are the strapping points and hardware? How durable is the harness?
      Will the harness rip or fray? Will the harness come apart from the
      pack? How durable are the hand loops? Will they separate from the pack
      after extended use? How easy is it to clean?

      Current Tests:
      Exped Aries Mesh Tent – Awaiting shipment
      Columbia - Faster and Lighter Shell – Awaiting shipment

      Test Applications Currently under Consideration:
      Columbia Omni Dry Pants
      Clif Bar CranRazz Shot Bloks
      Clif Bar Blueberry Crisp bars

      Previously Written Reports: