Application to Test the Clif Shot Bloks Jenn Koles

  • Jenn K.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007
      Application to Test the Clif Shot Bloks Jenn Koles

      Ray, please accept my application to test the Clif Shot Bloks. I have
      read the Backpackgeartest.org Bylaws v. 0609, Chapter 5, the
      Appendices, and the BGT survival guide. I have a full understanding
      of the bylaws and I will follow them to the fullest extent. I am
      testing four items at this time and I do not foresee any difficulty
      testing this item if I am selected. Two of my items are now in the
      long-term reporting phase (OR Mithril Beanie and the Redfeather
      Alpine Snowshoes). The Mithril Beanie LTR is due on April 24. I have
      never been late on submitting my reports and I have proven that I can
      handle up to six tests at a time.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Jennifer Koles
      Age: 32
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: jennksnowy at yahoo dot com
      City, State, and Country: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

      Backpacking Background:

      I started taking overnight backpacking trips three years ago in the
      Uinta Mountain Range in Utah. I found myself taking entirely too much
      gear. I am finding out slowly how to minimize my needs and not
      require extra luxuries. My previous outdoor experiences consisted of
      4-wheel-drive camping in primitive areas and day hiking. I use a four
      season convertible tent or a three season tent for my shelter. I plan
      to take more trips, increase my duration, and reduce my two to three
      day backpack base weight from 17 lb (8 kg).

      Test Plans:

      I generally hike and backpack in the state of Utah. Particularly in
      the Wasatch and Uinta Mountains. During the spring and early summer
      months I spend time in Southern Utah (Moab area, Zion National Park,
      and a trip to Capitol Reef). In June we have a trip planned to Grand
      Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. I will also be visiting
      Yellowstone within the next few weeks. The elevations in these areas
      vary greatly from around 4,000 ft to 13,000 ft (1,219 m to 3,962 m).
      The temperatures in the upcoming months also vary greatly from
      slightly below freezing to above 90 F (32 C). I will also be spending
      time hiking and backpacking in California in the upcoming months.
      Most likely in the Sierra Nevada Range.

      What I am going to look for:

      I have been using Clif Shot Bloks for about a year as both a calorie
      boost (I do not like the taste or texture of the Goo's) and an
      electrolyte supplement. Besides hiking I do a lot of on and off road
      bike riding/racing. I have never tried the Shot Bloks while hiking
      just riding/racing my bikes. I would like to try these for my
      nutritional needs between meals while hiking.

      This flavor interests me. I love a raspberry flavor and I am
      wondering if the cranberry flavors with make the Blok less sweet. Or
      will the flavor be tarter. I like the Bloks that contain caffeine. I
      am wondering if I will miss the caffeine that is an ingredient in one
      of the other Blok flavors.

      Will the taste of the new flavor keep me wanting more? Are they very
      yummy?

      They have 200 calories per package. As they are just big square gummy
      bears, will they make me feel as though I have something in my
      stomach or will I feel like I need something more substantial? Can I
      make a breakfast out of these and be satisfied? Do they upset my
      stomach if they are consumed while it is empty? How soon after
      consuming the first serving do I have to consume the second serving
      before I feel lightheaded or ready to bonk? Does this flavor become
      stale after having the package opened overnight?

      They say that you need to drink water with them. I know this from
      using other flavors of this product.

      I am wondering if this flavor melts or sticks together in high
      temperatures. I am also curious to see what happens to the texture
      and the composition in cold temperatures.

      Previously Written Reports
      My previously written reports can be found at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/jennksnowy

      Owner Reviews: 6
      Completed Tests: 10
      Currently Testing Other Items: 4
      „X FR Stage: SD Electra Sleeping Bag
      „X LTR Testing Stage: Redfeather Alpine Snowshoes and the
      Outdoor Research Mithril Beanie
      Test Monitor: 1

      Test Applications Outstanding: none

      Other BGT Responsibilities: Was on the summer 2006 and winter 2007 OR
      Show Crew.
      Currently involved with the Mentor Program.

      Thank you for your consideration in testing the Clif Shot Bloks. I
      would be more that happy to give this product a thorough testing.

      Jenn Koles