EDIT: Richmoor Natural High Foods IR - Jennifer Pope

  • AndrĂ© Corterier
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
      EDIT: Richmoor Natural High Foods IR - Jennifer Pope

      This is the official Edit of Jennifer Pope's Initial Report on the
      Richmoor Food test.

      Jennifer, you know the drill: EDITs to be changed, Edits to be
      considered and Comments to be endured.
      ;-)

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer"
      <jennifer.pope@...> wrote:

      > Richmoor Natural High Foods IR - Jennifer Pope
      >
      > Andre-
      > Here's my IR. A couple days late but that was the best I could do
      > this week. Too many relatives in town and too much work at work. I
      > am still missing the actual weights in my table. I'm not out of
      town
      > and away from the products in order to weigh them now. I'll have to
      > catch those on the upload and hopefully Shane won't yell at me for
      > doing that.
      >
      > Jen P.

      Comment: Heck, I wil yell at you for doing that. Though, not too
      much. Not because I know about real life getting in the way, but
      because I still have an IR up where I meant to catch that on the
      upload and didn't...
      :-(

      > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/JEN%20-%
      20Natural%20High%20Food%20IR/>

      Comment: Thanks for the link. The picture's okay, though readability
      might be improved if you took the picture in better ambient light
      without a flash (outside is usually good, on a slightly overcast sky
      is best). Maybe later, I do understand you've got other stuff to do
      now. And I probably should stay away from commenting on picture
      quality anyway, I'm sure the Oracle doesn't want this to turn into a
      gear photography discussion group. Ignore at your whim.

      > Richmoor Natural High Foods
      > Test Report
      > Last Updated: March 30, 2007
      >
      > Biographical Information Product Information Initial
      > Impressions/Product Description Summary
      >
      > Natural High Foods
      >
      > Biographical Information
      > Name Jennifer Pope
      > Age 26
      > Gender Female
      > Height 5 ft 7 in (1.7 m)
      > Weight 150 lb (68 kg)
      > Email Address Jennifer.Pope@...
      > Location Los Angeles, California
      > Backpacking Background
      > Intermediate. I've been a car-camper as long as I can remember and
      > started backpacking in Northern California when I was 16. I've been
      > backpacking for a little over a year after a hiatus during college.
      > backpack in the Sierras as well as National Forests and Parks in the
      > Los Angeles vicinity. I also spend time in the California deserts
      and
      > the mountains and coast of Northern California. I'm a tent camper
      > leaning towards lightweight; but I'm also a fan of gadgets and I
      like
      > being comfortable. I also frequently day hike close to home and
      while
      > car camping.
      >
      > Product Information (back to top)
      > Manufacturer Richmoor Coorporation
      > Manufacturer URL http://www.richmoor.com/
      > Year of Manufacture 2007
      > Claimed Weight
      > Spicy Thai Chicken
      > Cheese Enchilada Ranchero
      > I Can't Believe it's Cheese Pizza
      > Granola
      > Cinnamon Apple Crisp
      > 6 1/4 oz (177 g)
      > 6 1/4 oz (177 g)
      > 5.78 oz (164 g)
      > 6 1/2 oz (184 g)
      > 4 oz (113 g)
      > Actual Weight

      Comment: The listed weight probably refers to the net weight of the
      content. I assume you'll be weighing the contents while within the
      package. Please make a note of this when you upload.

      > Spicy Thai Chicken
      > Cheese Enchilada Ranchero
      > I Can't Believe it's Cheese Pizza
      > Granola
      > Cinnamon Apple Crisp
      > XXX
      > MSRP
      > Spicy Thai Chicken
      > Cheese Enchilada Ranchero
      > I Can't Believe it's Cheese Pizza
      > Granola
      > Cinnamon Apple Crisp
      > $6.75 US
      > $6.25 US
      > $5.25 US
      > $4.25 US
      > $4.25 US
      >

      > Initial Report
      > March 30, 2007
      >
      > Initial Impressions & Product Description (back to top)
      > These meals are exactly as expected. These are freeze-dried meals in
      > re-sealable foil packaging.
      >
      > Two items are labeling

      Edit: I *think* you mean "labelled" (or maybe "labeled").

      differently on the packaging and the website.
      > The "Spicy Thai Chicken" is just listed as "Thai Chicken" on the
      > website and the "Granola" is given the more descriptive name of
      > "Raspberry Granola with Milk". The Thai Chicken isn't drastically
      > different except that I would expect the "Spicy Thai Chicken" to be
      > spicier. Initially I thought the "Granola" was more like a trail mix
      > rather than a breakfast. Each of these items contains the more
      precise
      > phrases in the descriptions of the product (on the website or the
      > packaging).

      Edit: The last sentence is incomprehensible to me. I think you're
      trying to tell me where the more descriptive names are and that they
      are either on the product or on the website, but I can't figure out
      which. Maybe it's just me.

      > Description
      >
      > These are all two-person meals. This is This is

      EDIT: This is This is too much.
      ;-)

      prominently displayed
      > on the front of each package. None of the items require cooking
      except
      > the "I Can't Believe it's Cheese Pizza". The cheese pizza requires
      the
      > sauce to be cooked like a regular freeze-dried meal; just add hot
      > water. The crust requires the addition of water and then cooking on
      > skillet for several minutes; then the two components are combined.

      > Each of the other items just require

      EDIT: following "Each", it should be require*s*. Or you say "all of
      other" and stick with the plural form of the verb.

      the addition of hot (or cold) water.

      > All of the bags are the same size despite the contents inside each
      of
      > the bags being different sizes. I found this odd and it seems to be
      > waste of materials and precious backpack space. Quite a bit of the
      bag
      > is torn off when the bag is opened. This seems to be more wasted
      > materials. The re-sealable zipper is located at least two inches (5
      > cm) from the top of the bag.
      >
      > Cooking instructions and nutritional information are found on the
      back
      > of each bag. Since the nutritional information for each item is
      > printed on the website I will not reiterate that here. The cooking
      > ranges from adding cold water, stirring, and eating to adding
      boiling
      > water and waiting 10-12 minutes. Each meal that requires the
      addition
      > of boiling water requires several minutes of cooking time in
      addition
      > to the regular cooking time when prepared at high elevations.
      >
      > I'm not a nutritionist, but the total calories per serving seems
      > pretty low for a meal while backpacking. Since these meals are all
      two
      > servings I will be splitting them with my husband. We will likely be
      > supplementing the meals by either eating two or bringing something
      > else along to eat. The entrees range from 290 to 420 calories.

      No Comment. I'm trying hard not to write things which might influence
      your thoughts on this. I guess I'll get to comment on the number of
      hikers this will serve after a hard day on the FR.

      > Sodium is often a problem in processed foods. The sodium content in
      > these meals seems to be a little on the high side but pretty
      > reasonable. The entrees range from 23% to 44% of the Daily Value.

      Edit: I am familiar with the suggested daily values printed on all
      sorts of prepackaged foodstuffs in the US. I doubt that all
      international readers are. I think (by way of a Comment) that
      expanding the last two words of that sentence to the way the values
      are entitled on the package would make this clear enough.

      > Summary (back to top)
      > These meals appear to be exactly as I expected them- kind of bulky
      but
      > the cooking instructions couldn't be easier.
      >

      > This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be appended
      > this report approximately two months from the date of this report.
      > Please check back then for further information.
      >
      > Thank you to Richmoor and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to
      test
      > this item.

      Thanks, Jennifer. Please take care of the edits, upload to the report
      folder and delete the test version when you're ready. Hope life isn't
      running you ragged.

      All the best,

      André
      Richmoor Food Monitor
    • rayestrella1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
        <jennifer.pope@...> wrote:

        > Too many relatives in town and too much work at work.

        Feed them Natural High dinners. You save time and gather data at the
        same time...

        Ray
      • Jennifer Pope
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hmm good idea. Although I think that breaks some sort of BGT rules. Plus I
          think they're expecting some sort of real meal out of me since I'm enrolled
          in a professional cooking class right now. And that definitely wouldn't
          have worked this weekend since I don't think any of them are kosher for
          passover.
          Jen P.