RE: [backpackgeartesters] EDIT: Initial Report- Black Diamond OneShot Tent-Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2007
      Interesting and very curious.

      Is there any sneak preview of the paragraph in question?

      Would love to see it.

      Ralph

      _____

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2007
        Meaning that you are asking to excuse the French that you are uttering? <g>

        Ralph

        _____

        --- In backpackgeartesters <mailto:backpackgeartesters%40yahoogroups.com>
        @yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
        <redroach@...> wrote:

        > I think we should all three make a video of "How to Erect this Tent".
        > After using it in the field though, I have a whole new paragraph for
        > my FR that has to be edited for profanity

        I have their Fitzroy (Bibler brand) that has 4 poles to get inside.
        Thank goodness children are not around at 12000' elevations in
        February...

        Ray

      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2007
          Hello Ted,

          Thanks for the edits.

          I am working on them but it may be a few days before I upload as I am
          working most of today and we have visitors for tea and I'm off bushwalking
          tomorrow with the two Andrews.

          May get a chance tomorrow night.

          Cheers

          Ralph

          _____

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
            At 12:55 AM 31/03/2007, you wrote:
            >I think we should all three make a video of "How to Erect this Tent".
            >I didn't mention it in my IR because I wrote it off to "Dumb Monkey
            >hasn't learned to use new toy" syndrome.
            >
            >After using it in the field though, I have a whole new paragraph for
            >my FR that has to be edited for profanity

            This is what happens when you give some "experienced" testers a new
            toy .... they just don't have the skill sets .... maybe we need to
            review the tester selection process ... LOL

            Andrew, Sir
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
              At 08:13 AM 31/03/2007, you wrote:

              >A copy is in the Test Folder and can be found at the following:
              >
              >http://tinyurl.com/yrt335

              Still there? I am getting a 404 error.

              Andrew, Sir
            • Andrew (not Kiwi)
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
                I'd love to read this review and see what all the fuss is about :) but
                I keep getting a "not found" error.
                Andrew_P2

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
                <rdassetts@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > stress, ensuring that a good curve is formed, so as to get it past the
                >
                > far edge of the door and ensure that the other end behaves itself and
                >
                > stays inside the snap. I would recommend that two of the snaps be
                >
                > adapted to accommodate a screw- in centre pole of a few millimetres (
                >
                > for a better word) for the tent pole to sit over when placed onto the
                >
                > snap so that it will not slip off when trying to place the other end
                >
                > into position. Why screw in? The item would have to be removed when
                >
                > stowing the tent away as this would avoid any possible damage to the
                >
                > fabric when rolling the tent up. There may be other materials that are
                >
                > robust enough but supple so as to not cause damage to the fabric such as
                >
                > rubber which possibly does not have to be a screw-in.
                >
                > Ground Cloth
                >
                > Black Diamond was kind enough to supply a ground cloth to protect the
                >
                > floor of the tent. The ground cloth is custom made for the OneShot tent.
                >
                > The dimensions of the ground cloth are 2 m 6 cm x 79 cm (6 ft 9 in x 2
                >
                > ft 7 in). In each corner and half way along each side is an eyelet to
                >
                > secure the ground cloth to the tent. Each eyelet is reinforced by a
                >
                > triangular patch. At one end there is an elastic cord looped and tied
                >
                > off through one eyelet only. At this stage I haven't worked out why this
                >
                > is so. In the testing phase I hope to find out. Having said that, I have
                >
                > just discovered another three elastic cords that fell out of the package
                >
                > that contained the ground cloth. They each measure 405 mm (1 ft 4 in)
                >
                > long. Taking a guess, they go into the other three eyelets and the tent
                >
                > pegs catch onto the elastic when pegging the tent. I will confirm this
                >
                > in the Field Report.
                >
                > Testing Strategy
                >
                > I will bite the bullet and seam seal the tent with the supplied silicone
                >
                > and comment on how easy/difficult the procedure is. The OneShot will be
                >
                > my main means of shelter when walking the Bibbulmun and Coastal Plains
                >
                > Tracks for the next four months in lieu of the shelters provided. I
                >
                > prefer to sleep away from other hikers as I am not fond of snorers,
                >
                > being one myself. Overall, I will be looking at the roominess or lack
                >
                > thereof, set-up after a bit of practice and conversely the dismantling
                >
                > which to date has been incident free, packing, ventilation, sunlight/uv
                >
                > effect on the fabric, sturdiness of the floor material, how easy is it
                >
                > to clean the tent and stability in winds.
                >
                > At this stage I will not comment on "Likes" and "Dislikes" as I have not
                >
                > had a genuine field test. Mind you, I did have some initial thoughts
                >
                > which have been discussed above, but I want to be fair and accurate over
                >
                > the long term.
                >
                > End Piece
                >
                > This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
                >
                > this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
                >
                > Please check back then for further information.

              • Andrew (not Kiwi)
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 31, 2007
                  Try here, I had a look and found it.
                  http://tinyurl.com/34akkb

                  andrew_p2

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
                  <apriest@...> wrote:

                  > At 08:13 AM 31/03/2007, you wrote:
                  >

                  > >A copy is in the Test Folder and can be found at the following:
                  > >
                  > >http://tinyurl.com/yrt335
                  >
                  > Still there? I am getting a 404 error.
                  >
                  > Andrew, Sir

                • richardglyon
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                    Patience, gentlemen, patience. And practice. It took me several
                    weeks and much profanity to learn how to use BD's internal poles,
                    including a near disaster in a blizzard. Once learned though I think
                    the interior poles are easier and faster to pitch than most double
                    wall tents. Richard

                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "rayestrella1"
                    <rayestrella@...> wrote:

                    > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
                    > <redroach@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I think we should all three make a video of "How to Erect this
                    Tent".
                    > > After using it in the field though, I have a whole new paragraph
                    for
                    > > my FR that has to be edited for profanity
                    >
                    > I have their Fitzroy (Bibler brand) that has 4 poles to get
                    inside.
                    > Thank goodness children are not around at 12000' elevations in
                    > February...
                    >
                    > Ray

                  • Thomas Vickers
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                      I am hoping experience is the key.
                      My first field pitch was as a rain storm rolled in.
                      Not something you want to master while trying to avoid the downpour

                      TV
                    • rayestrella1
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                        wrote:

                        > .... maybe we need to review the tester selection process ... LOL

                        Oh no! Like what? IQ based?

                        I will never test another thing, darn it...

                        Ray
                      • rayestrella1
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 1, 2007
                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "richardglyon" <rlyon@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Patience, gentlemen, patience. And practice. It took me several
                          > weeks and much profanity to learn how to use BD's internal poles,
                          > including a near disaster in a blizzard.

                          Hah, I hear you Richard.

                          We bought the Fitzroy after realizing that the tents we already had
                          may get destroyed on a trip to a very bad area. We received it the
                          night before we left. We set it up once in the office (that was funny
                          with poles going out the door) and got to do it for real the next
                          night. Night 2 was in a blizzard like yours. Fun fun (not) and much
                          cussing (yep).

                          Ray
                        • richardglyon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 2, 2007
                            Ray, Try it sometime in the rain with the BD Skylight, an otherwise
                            great tent. Even all my years of practice didn't help when I
                            couldn't keep the half-fly hooked to the mesh. I was sure that I'd
                            drive a hole or two through the tent body. Richard