Re: [backpackgeartesters] Initial Report- Black Diamond OneShot Tent-Ralph Di...

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
      Ralph,

      I really want to see a video of that initial setup attempt! ; )

      A couple of comments from a fellow OneShot tester for you to consider:

      vestibule: BD offers optional, separate vestibules for its Superlight tent
      series. I noted the same comment regarding the optional clip-on vestibule for
      the OneShot on the web site, but there is none offered as of yet that I've
      found. The awnings are not intended to be a vestibule. If the OneShot has been
      fitted for a clip-on vestibule, you will find small loops sewn in at the
      underside joint seam of the front awning every foot or so. I've been meaning to
      check this on mine, but I keep forgetting.

      epic sack: The stuff sacks are made of silnylon, not epic, unless you
      received something different. In fact, I think epic would be a better choice, as it
      would allow a went tent to dry while packed (my main complaint against the
      silnylon sacks).

      Erecting suggestion: I've been using the Lighthouse for a couple of years
      now, which is essentially just a larger version of the OneShot. I find it
      unneccessary to put the poles in the grommets until the tent is up. As you noted,
      they like to pop out until they are under tension. About half the time, the
      poles seem to find the grommet by chance. I just get the poles into the corner
      re-enforcement and setup like that. I do not bother with the hook & loop
      bits until all the poles are in position. I set up the tent in under 5 minutes
      and find it very relaxing.

      Although, there was that time on Assateague Island when I was trying to rush
      the setup in a losing attempt to escape a pair of particularly aggressive
      green flies (the ones with large, dripping, poison fangs three times their body
      weight). In my haste, I failed to properly seat one of the pole joints and
      just as I was about to seat the last pole end and scream "DIE, FOUL WINGED
      BEASTS!", the pole launched clean out of the tent, dropping the tent body to the
      ground and leaving me fully exposed to those gleefully vicious predators. It
      was a sad, sad scene complete with gnashing of teeth (theirs) and much
      whining, whimpering and thrashing about (mine).

      ; )

      Jim S.

      "The really valuable thing in the pageant of human life seems to me
      not the State but the creative, sentient individual, the personality; it
      alone creates the noble and the sublime, while the herd as such
      remains dull in thought and dull in feeling." - Albert Einstein

    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2007
        Thanks for the feedback Jim.

        That vestibule has me in a state of confusion. I did look at the tent to see
        where a clip-on vestibule could be attached and I failed to see any anchor
        points. Maybe I am just missing the wood for the trees. If you find where a
        vestibule can clip-on let me know and I will do the necessary amendment.

        Horror: I did boo boo with the material for the stuff sack. It is silnylon.

        I feel that there will be a love/hate relationship with the erection of this
        tent. If there was a video of me trying to pitch it, it would have to be a
        silent movie and the sight would not be pretty, mainly my backside sticking
        out feeding tent poles into a supposedly yawning doorway that is a tad
        tight.

        Cheers

        Ralph

        _____

[...]

        _._,___

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 31, 2007
          At 12:32 PM 31/03/2007, you wrote:
          >Thanks for the feedback Jim.
          >
          >That vestibule has me in a state of confusion.

          Sounds like you need to come along on the next backpack Ralph so I
          can show you how to put up a tent LOL

          Andrew, Sir
        • JimSabis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 31, 2007
            In a message dated 3/31/2007 12:34:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            rdassetts@... writes:

            If there was a video of me trying to pitch it, it would have to be a
            silent movie and the sight would not be pretty, mainly my backside sticking
            out feeding tent poles into a supposedly yawning doorway that is a tad
            tight.

            Cheers

            Ralph

            ################

            Ah! That might be your problem, the view of your agitated derrier
            not-with-standing. ; )

            I find the best way to set up the tent is to stake out the four corners, then
            sit in the open door facing out. Awning pole goes in first. Then, with the
            two main poles out in front, I run the first straight into its corner without
            changing my position. With the pole seated in the corner patch (not the
            grommet!) I just start bendng the pole into place. I find the far end comes to the
            opposite front corner quite naturally, with little strain. Once seated in the
            corner patch (I still do not bother with the grommets) I pull the tent body over
            the pole and my head. I then repeat the process with the final pole. The poles
            sit roughly in the proper position.

            This is when I check the grommets. I make sure the pole end is siting in the
            grommet and fasten the hook&loop fastener immediately above it. I work all
            four corners like this. I find that the poles work gradually into position with a
            minimum of fuss using this method, tho some fussing may be required. I finish
            by edging the poles into position and closing the remaining fasteners. All
            this is done from my sitting position (I lay down and to the side when
            positioning the rear corners and fasteners).

            Takes just a few minutes. Easy as pie. No cussing required.

            Jim S.

            If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can
            solve them. - Isaac Asimov

          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31, 2007
              > I find the best way to set up the tent is to...

              ...chunk it far off trail and hang a hammock.

              Shane
            • Ralph Ditton
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
                Charming <g> Shane.

                A hammock could be a solution. At least there are no poles that want to play
                silly buggers <g>

                Ralph

                _____