Field Report - SteriPen Adventurer - Mike Lipay

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2007
      Below is the Field Report section of my test, the html will be
      uploaded shortly.

      Thanks,

      Mike

      --------------------------------

      Field Report
      Test 1 - January 28-29, 2007 - Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail
      Length of Trip - 2 Days.
      Conditions - Temperatures ranging from the low 20's F (-7 C) to the
      upper 20's (-2 C), light to heavy snowfall throughout (16 in (41 cm)
      over the period.
      Field Test - This was a cold trip, we covered 10 miles (16 km) in the
      snow on the first day, and 5 miles (8 km) on the second. The heaviest
      snow came after noon on Saturday, a full 12 in (30 cm) arriving
      before dinner time. All of the major water pools were frozen, with
      the lake at Laurel Highlands frozen thick enough for people to ice
      fish, and I had the opportunity to watch them going about their sport.

      I kept the SteriPen Adventurer, and the extra batteries, in my inner
      jacket pocket to keep them warm (cold quickly diminishes the life of
      batteries). Throughout the trip I filled my water bottle (a 1-liter
      nalgene) in small waterfalls that I came across. I do not use the
      water bottle for drinking purposes as the water would freeze quickly
      in this cold water. I filled the bottle up, used the Adventurer to
      treat the water, then poured it into my insulated CamelBak hydration
      pack. Unfortunately, the design of the CamelBak does not lend itself
      to using the Adventurer directly.

      The SteriPen Adventurer functioned flawlessly on this trip, each time
      the process functioned as HydorPhoton states, the light came on, I
      swirled the Adventurer in the water as directed and, after 90
      seconds, the light went out indicating the treatment had completed
      successfully.

      During this trip I treated a total of 6 liters (about 6 qts) of water
      using the batteries in the Adventurer, not needing the spares which I
      brought along (just incase the temperatures affected the initial set
      of batteries). Since I have suffered none of the symptoms usually
      associated with contaminated water I have to assume that the SteriPen
      Adventurer did the job.

      Test 2 - Feburary 17-18, 2007 - Bear Run Nature Reserve
      Length of Trip - 2 Days.
      Conditions - Temperatures ranging from the low 30's F (-1 C) to the
      mid 40's (7 C), breezy, with a light snow fall (no measurable amounts)..
      Field Test - This was a snowshoeing trip over relatively easy
      terrain. We covered a total of 12 miles on this trip, six on each
      day. In snowshoes six is a pretty good amount with the rolling hills.
      Streams were open, flowing fast enough to keep from freezing, so
      water was plentiful, though cold.

      As with the prior trip, I kept the SteriPen Adventurer in my inside
      pocket, but this time leaving the spare batteries at home. I treated
      5 liters (about 5 qts) on this trip, and all went pretty much as on
      the first trip. Again, having suffered no ill effects afterwards, the
      SteriPen Adventurer worked as expected.

      Over the next two months I plan on doing more extensive testing on
      the duration of the Adventurer's batteries to determine just how much
      water can be treated on a single charge, and how long the solar
      recharger will take to restore the batteries. This will entail using
      the Adventurer outside of normal backpacking trips, but I feel the
      information will be useful when planning extended trips (those
      lasting more than a single weekend).

      This concludes my Field Report. The Long Term Report will be amended
      to this report in approximately two months from the date of this
      report . Please check back then for further information.