LTR YakTrax Pro - Kathryn

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      Find attached my long term report for the YakTrax Pro, HTML can be
      found here: http://tinyurl.com/28yzya

      thanks

      kathryn

      ----

      Yaktrax Pro

      Mar 1 2007

      YakTrax Pro
      Image from YakTrax.com

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 30
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 68 kg (150 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Washington DC, USA

      Brief Background:

      I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost four years ago. Most
      of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I
      have recently finished 1200+ miles (2000+ km) of the Appalachian
      trail. My style is to be as light as possible while not spending a
      fortune. My pack weight tends to hover around 25lbs (11 kg). I have
      recently started getting into winter hiking, snowshoeing and kayaking.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: YakTrax
      Material: Black rubber with steel coils
      Website: http://www.yaktrax.com
      MSRP: US$27.95
      Weight (as stated): Not stated
      Weight (measured): 4.6 oz (130 g)
      Size: Medium
      Sized shoe: woman's 10-11 (men's 9)
      Long Term Report:

      Over the last few months, snow and ice have finally graced the city
      and woods and I have been out giving the YakTrax a good workout, as
      well as myself. The terrain I have been hiking over has been
      relatively flat with modest climbing but the trail has been rocky with
      root hazards. With the snow and ice, I have not been able to see the
      rocks and roots. TheYakTrax have been able to give me a much better
      grip then the soles of my shoes alone but I have had some gripping
      problems when the rocks are not iced over. When there is nothing for
      theYakTrax to grip onto I have found that they tend to simply slide
      over the surface. I have experienced this on rocks mostly, but I did
      find myself inside on linoleum tiling and felt like I was on a skating
      rink before I pulled off theYakTrax.

      I have used the YakTrax both with and without the performance strap
      and found that I feel more comfortable with the strap on. I am not
      sure if this is just my feeling. The strap does not hinder either the
      removal or the placing on of theYakTrax and I have not determined if
      the strap helps keep the YakTrax on. For mental security, I have felt
      better with it on. The performance strap can make pulling the YakTrax
      on a little more difficult if I have the strap set too tight, I then
      have to loosen the strap to pull the YakTrax on. Most of the time, I
      set the strap for the shoes in the morning, then I can pull them on
      and off without readjusting. The YakTrax can be a little tough to pull
      on when standing. I have bad knees which makes putting one ankle on
      the other knee maneuver a little painful for me. I have pulled
      theYakTrax on successfully using this maneuver and slightly less
      successfully by trying to pull them on in the air. When pulling on the
      YakTrax , I find I have to pull them out further past the heel then
      make sure the rubber catches on each side of the heel before pulling
      over the heel. As theYakTrax make for a snug fit, the extra pull can
      be a little difficult but does allow for me to pull the YakTrax on
      with one hand. This lets me grab a tree for support with the other
      hand. I do find that when I am wearing thin gloves, it is possible to
      pull the YakTrax on but I sometimes get the fabric of the glove caught
      between the rubber and the shoe. Thicker gloves tend to get in the
      way.

      The YakTrax are in great shape still. There is some rusting on one
      coil but the rubber is in good shape showing no sign of cracking. The
      rubber is still pliable and has a good stretch to it allowing me to
      pull theYakTrax out past the heel. The Velcro performance strap still
      grips to itself well and the rubber slots that it is threaded through
      are holding up well, with no stretching. I have noticed that when I
      wear theYakTrax on shoes, I can feel the hug of the rubber ring around
      the shoe. This is a minor annoyance that disappears once I get back
      into walking mode. As for the boots, they are much stiffer and I have
      not noticed this rubber hug with the boots. The rubber grips nicely to
      the leather and has not caused any scratching or chaffing on the
      leather. On suede, the rubber does leave a mark, but it looks like the
      nap of the suede hassimply been rubbed the wrong way. The marks
      eventually go away or I can take a buff brush and remove it faster.

      Testing Terrain:

      The Yaktrax have been tested about equally with both Asolo leather
      boots and low rise trail hikers. Conditions encountered have included
      some slush, snow and packed snow, and ice. Mostly the hikes have been
      with little to no elevation gain but otherwise rugged. Temperatures
      have varied from just above freezing to -20 C (-4 F). I have used
      theYakTrax in Boston area hikes, Montreal area hikes and lately in DC
      area hikes. A few of the more recent hikes have included the C&O canal
      and various local parks and hikes around the C&O canal. The terrain on
      the C&O is flat but the trails around the C&O is rocky and root
      filled. The trails are well trod and sometimes the rocks are polished
      smooth. The snow is well packed on the trail giving theYakTrax a nice
      base to grip onto.

      Pros:

      - Flexible and pliable rubber frame adapted well to different footwear

      - Coils form a criss cross pattern to prevent directional slippage

      Cons:

      - Coils difficult to walk on with little or no snow underneath