EDIT - Re: FOR EDIT: IR Dunham Terrastryders-Mid

  • Kathleen Waters
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      Will,

      Just a few small edits that I can see:

      1.) Under Manufacturer's Information - the website address should
      be http://www.dunhamfits.com

      2.) Under Product Information, you omitted the metric weight of the
      boots; should be 1.16kg

      3.) Under Initial Report (first paragraph), you omitted the
      registered mark after Vibram

      4.) Under Design, you indicated that you like the "boots'
      lightweight". It seems like you might have omitted a word
      like "feature" "quality" or something? Also, there you give the
      boots' weight as 2.5lb which is different from the 2lb 8.8oz listed
      under Product Information. Lastly, "Vibram" needs a registered mark.

      5.) Under Utility for Lightweight Backpacking, there is an
      inconsistency using the word/phrase "side hills" / "sidehills" - I
      believe "sidehills" is correct.

      That's it, unless someone more experienced wants to add anything (my
      first monitoring task!). Enjoy your testing!

      Kathy

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Will Rietveld"
      <willi_wabbit@b...> wrote:
      > INITIAL REPORT: DUNHAM WAFFLE STOMPER TERRASTRYDERS-MID
      >
      > Date: February 23, 2005
      >
      > PERSONAL INFORMATION
      > Name: Will Rietveld
      > Age: 62
      > Gender: Male
      > Height: 6 ft (183 cm)
      > Weight: 170 lb (77 kg)
      > Foot Size: 11.5 4E
      > Email: (willi_wabbit at bresnan dot net) willi_wabbit@b...
      > City & State: Durango, CO 81301
      > Location for Testing: Southwestern US (Colorado, Utah, Arizona,
      New Mexico)

      > BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      > I have been an avid backpacker for 47 years. Backpacking is my
      passion. I am retired and in excellent physical condition. In the
      fall, winter, and spring I backpack in UT, AZ, and NM. In the summer
      I backpack in several wilderness areas in southern Colorado, with
      occasional trips to other states.

      > Backpacking Style-I have been a lightweight backpacker for many
      years and an ultralight backpacker for 6 years. My wife and I give
      presentations on backcountry cooking and ultralight backpacking in
      the local area, and have developed a website called Southwest
      Ultralight Backpacking (http://home.bresnan.net/~swultralight) to
      share information.

      > MANUFACTURER INFORMATION
      > Name: Dunham Bootmakers
      > Website: http.www.dunhamfits.com
      >
      > PRODUCT INFORMATION
      > Product Tested: Dunham Waffle Stomper Terrastryders-Mid
      > Year of Manufacture: 2005
      > Color: Brown
      > Size: Men's 11.5 EEEE (extra wide)
      > Weight Listed: not available
      > Weight as Delivered: 2 lb 8.8 oz (kg) per pair
      > MSRP: $120 US
      >
      > PRODUCT DESCRIPTION (photo)
      > According to product information, the Terrastryders have the
      following features (from manufacturer's website):

      > ** Dryworks® moisture management membrane system provides
      waterproof protection and breathable comfort in the wettest
      conditions.

      > ** Vibram® Supertrek compound rubber outsole is formulated for
      enhanced grip on rocky surfaces. Supertrek is soft enough for
      smearing moves, yet firm enough for edging while maintaining needed
      durability on the trail.

      > ** Dual TPU plates sandwiched between the midsole and outsole. The
      rear plate features a stiff compound that provides torsional
      stability and protects the heel from trail bruising. The front plate
      is more flexible, providing the perfect blend of protection and
      comfortable forefoot mobility.

      > ** Direct contact ABZORB® in the heel and forefoot provides
      superior shock absorption and ideal underfoot cushioning for maximum
      multi-mile comfort.

      > ** Compression molded EVA midsole is the right weight to enable a
      faster more fun trail pace.

      > ** Gusseted tongue keeps sticks and stones where they belong...on
      the trail, not in your shoe.

      > ** Non-stretch stability wings provide a secure heel and forefoot
      cradle for lightweight lateral support and secure foothold.

      > ** Armor-tech mesh panels are tough but very lightweight.
      >
      > ** SL-1 Sport last shape provides a more athletic fit.
      >
      > ** 360° fit design considers not only length and width but also
      volume.

      > ** Extended sizes and widths to fit wide and long feet.
      >
      > INITIAL REPORT
      > Product Arrival-The boots arrived within a week after the test
      call closed. Impressive! They were packaged in a normal shoe box.
      The boots had attached labels listing product features and Vibram
      sole information.

      > Initial Impressions-Terrastryders-what a great name! The person
      who thought of that name should be promoted. The boots make heavy
      use of synthetic, high-tech materials. They make a strong first
      impression out of the box. These boots incorporate a long list of
      features (above) and have an enormous amount of detail. They are
      attractive and appear to be solidly built and rugged.

      > Design-This is the first pair of mid-height boots I have owned. I
      like the ankle height to provide more support and foot protection,
      compared to low-cut boots. I also like the boots' lightweight; these
      boots weigh only 2.5 lb (1.13 kg) per pair compared to 4 lb (1.81
      kg) or more for normal full height leather hiking boots. The soles
      have a firm stiffness (about a 7 on a scale of 10, 10 being stiff as
      a board), which should make them effective for edging. The Vibram
      soles are aggressive for a good grip, and the tread is open so it
      should clean out fairly well. Product information says that the
      rubber compound used grips well on a variety of surfaces. The boots
      are distinctly dropped at the back to provide good freedom for steep
      downhill descents. I like the gusseted tongue, which should help
      shield my feet from trail dust and water. A toe cap on the front
      (looks like neoprene) should help reduce excessive wear. The padding
      on the inside and edges is sufficient and moderately firm. The laces
      are just the right length and have a surface texture that makes them
      hold their position when tightened. Overall, the design of these
      boots is very refined.

      > Construction-The boots are assembled with a combination of
      adhesives and heavy stitching. Double stitching is used in most
      locations. The materials appear to be very durable, with specialized
      materials used in different locations.

      > Fit-I have owned Dunham boots twice before, and have learned that
      their 2E width is not wide enough for my feet. The 4E width is truly
      wide, and fits my feet perfectly with padded hiking socks. The boot
      volume is right on (I have high insteps), and the lacing system
      allows me to get the right tightness so my feet don't slide forward.
      The heel counter fits snugly, and the toe box provides ample room
      for my feet to spread out without touching the end. As I use the
      boots more, I will update my comments on the fit.

      > PROPOSED TEST
      > Test Locations and Conditions-I will test the Terrastryders in a
      variety of activities, terrains, and climates, starting immediately.
      During winter I will be day hiking at lower elevations in canyon
      country and doing snow sports in the mountains. In Spring I will do
      numerous day trips and backpacks in the forested zone of the
      Colorado Mountains and in the canyonlands country of Utah, Arizona,
      and New Mexico. In early summer I will be backpacking in the high
      alpine zone of the Colorado Mountains. The testing environments will
      consist of badlands desert, canyon country, forests, and high
      elevation alpine country. Expected extreme conditions include: snow
      storms, strong winds, dust/rain storms, heavy rain, intense sun, low
      temperatures, and high elevations with strong UV and intense
      thunderstorms. Terrains will be forest and desert trails, slickrock
      hiking, off-trail bushwhacking, scrambling, walking in water and
      mud, and hiking in snow.

      > How the Terrastryders Will Be Used- The boots will be used mostly
      for day hiking and backpacking. Testing will be under normal use,
      using appropriate care to avoid abuse. This will not be a test to
      abuse the product to see if I can make it fail.

      > Fundamental Questions-The basic questions to be answered in this
      test are: 1) How is their fit and comfort? 2) How do they perform in
      a variety of activities, terrains, and weather conditions? 3) How
      functional are they for different activities? And 4) How durable are
      they?

      > TEST PLAN-The Terrastryders will be my primary hiking boot for the
      next six months. I will put hundreds of miles on them in all types
      of terrain and conditions. They will probably be worn out by the end
      of the six-month test!

      > On each trip I will take a thermometer with me to measure the
      actual temperature so I can relate it to my comfort level while
      wearing the Terrastryders. In my notes for each trip, I will record
      the following data in relation to my comfort wearing the
      Terrastryders: 1) temperatures, 2) estimated wind speed, 3)
      estimated humidity, 4) altitude, 5) precipitation (including what
      form), 6) trail (or no trail) conditions, 7) how the Terrastryders
      were worn (type and number of socks, with or without gaiters, chaps,
      or rain pants), 7) my exertion level, 8) my comfort level in terms
      of how warm/cold, wet/dry, or cramped/comfortable my feet feel while
      wearing the Terrastryders.

      > FACTORS EVALUATED-The specific factors I will be evaluating the
      Dunham Terrastryders for are as follows:

      > 1) MATERIALS, QUALITY AND CONSTRUCTION: Do the boots use high
      quality materials, and appropriate materials for different parts of
      the boot? Is there adequate reinforcement in stress areas? Are
      construction and workmanship good?

      > 2) FIT: New Balance/Dunham advertises that their boots are
      available in a wide range of sizes to fit all feet. I am probably in
      a unique position to evaluate how well their wide boots fit. How
      wide are their wide boots (I have purchased wide boots from other
      manufactures that were in fact not very wide)? How good is the fit
      in terms of roominess in the toe box, actual width, heal counter
      width and support, and lack of heel lift? How good is the arch
      support? How well do they fit high-volume feet (room in the instep
      area)?

      > 3) COMFORT: Are the boots adequately padded on the tongue and top
      edges? Are the footbeds adequately contoured and supportive? Are
      there sufficient shock absorbing materials in the mid-sole? Are the
      tread and mid-sole substantial enough so that lugs on the tread
      pattern are not felt on the inside of the boot (soft boots cause
      foot fatigue by the end of the day)? How comfortable are they on
      different terrains, e.g., on rocky trails? How well do they breathe
      in warm conditions and keep my feet dry? How comfortable are they
      after a long day on the trail? Are they comfortable to wear in hot
      weather?

      > 4) USABILITY: Are the boots easy to put on/take off and lace up?
      How adjustable are they for tightening over my instep and toes? Does
      the boot provide enough ankle support and lateral stiffness for
      edging, and for bushwhacking in rough terrain, side slopes, and
      steep downhill descents? Do they have good longitudinal stiffness
      (moderate stiffness is desirable, too little means foot fatigue, too
      much means stretching of the Achilles tendon)? Is the heel counter
      snug and stiff enough to prevent pronation (leaning toward the
      center)? Do the laces hold well and stay tight? Do they keep my feet
      dry when walking in mud and shallow water? Do they dry out quickly
      after they get wet? Do they provide good traction on a variety of
      surfaces?

      > 5) DURABILITY: I do a lot of bushwhacking and off-trail hiking.
      How well do the soles resist wear? How do the uppers resist abrasion
      and punctures? Does the stitching remain intact, or are there places
      where it comes apart? Is there an adequate toe cap to protect that
      high wear area? Is there any tendency for sole de-lamination,
      especially at the toe? How well do the boots hold up with repeated
      wetting and drying? What is their expected life span?

      > 6) UTILITY FOR LIGHTWEIGHT BACKPACKING: Presently I use
      lightweight trail runner type shoes for backpacking on trails, but
      they don't provide enough ankle support, lateral stiffness, and foot
      protection for off-trail hiking (talus slopes, steep side hills, and
      steep downhill descents). How well do the Terrastryder mid-height
      boots work for off-trail hiking-do they provide the support and foot
      protection I need? How well do they work for ultralight backpacking
      on trails compared to low cut trail running boots? How light are the
      Terrastryder-mid boots compared to the lightest trail runners?

      > MY EXPECTATIONS FOR THE DUNHAM TERRASTRYDERS
      > 1) With the right sock combination, the boots will fit
      comfortably so I can hike in them all day without developing
      blisters or foot fatigue.

      > 2) The boots will breathe well to maintain comfortable foot
      temperature and dryness.

      > 3) The boots' waterproof membrane will keep my feet dry when
      hiking in snow, water, and mud. They will stay waterproof for the
      life of the boot.

      > 4) The Terrastryders will work great for off-trail hiking (steep
      uphills and downhills, sidehills, and rough terrain), providing
      plenty of foot support and protection and good edging.

      > 5) Their light weight will allow me to hike faster and farther
      before I get tired.

      > 6) The Terrastryders will be very durable and will hold up under
      intensive use.

      > 7) The boots will dry out quickly after they get wet (e.g.,
      stream crossings).

      > ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
      > I would like to thank Dunham Bootmakers and the BackpackGearTest
      Group for selecting me to participate in this test.

    • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Actually - registered trademarks are not required in reports. Brand names
        or trade names need to be capitalized, but all the TMs, Cs, and Rs are not
        required nor encouraged.

        James T.
        BGT Edit Moderator

        "Kathleen Waters" <TheMiddleSister@...> wrote on 03/02/2005 12:08:52