Re: [backpackgeartesters] ADMIN: Test Administration Pages Updated - 31 JAN 2007

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1 5:35 AM
      Looks like the holiday break killed AP....

      Cool Stats.

      LOL
      Brian

      On 1/31/07, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/
      >
      > Data current as of now. Please report any error.

    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1 7:13 AM
        > Well that was depressing. One thing to keep in mind is that (from what I
        > can tell) these numbers don't take into account the holiday shut down. So
        > for example, it says my Redfeather Pace snowshoe IR was due on 12/21 and
        > it
        > really wasn't due until the 1/3 or whenever we reopened.

        Hmmm.... OK. I didn't account for that. I need to go run a holiday
        adjustment. I'll do that tonight and fix it up. Sorry for that. This was
        a first run and I knew there might be problems.

        > That 21 days late
        > thing just looks really bad and it raises my average by a whole day and
        > it's
        > already bad enough on its own.

        But you see how it works with that 21 day late. It doesn't really affect
        you all that much. You can have an issue with one report and it doesn't
        really destroy your average. Only if you have a chronic problem does your
        average start to show.

        > So is a monitor stats page coming next?

        Yes, but I have to do some more work on it.

        Shane
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1 7:35 AM
          > This brings up a possible error: On my (André Corterier) tester's
          > page, the statistic given at the top shows a 1.4 days late average
          > for posting. If I add up the numbers it shows at the bottom of the
          > page as the basis for calculation, the total days late add up to
          > zero, which divided by 10 should also be zero, no?

          You are correct. The math is off somewhere. Sorry for that. I'll have to
          tinker with it tonight. I suspect I forgot a GO TOP command in one of the
          calculation routines and it's not picking up the same reports for the
          calculation that are shown in the grid.

          > I was thinking that maybe my last post (posted only a few hours ago
          > and already in the database - wow!)

          The data entry is getting easier all the time.

          > I don't have a problem with having the given numbers associated with
          > me and won't bore anyone with the reasons I uploaded some reports
          > late, but I felt that you would be interested in the apparent
          > mathematical inconsistency.

          Yes, I am interested. I want it to be right.

          > P.S.: Transparency is good. So I'm all for the idea.

          I like transparency too, and I'm keen on statistics. It also gives folks
          some bragging rights. I hope the stats are a useful tool for everyone. If
          folks stop using them as a tool and start using them as a weapon then we
          might revisit the idea. I could, for instance, have BridGeT put those stats
          in an email and send them to each tester individually for just that tester.

          >And I am simply
          > amazed at what you've been doing with this stuff in the little time
          > you've been at it. Keep up the good work.

          Thanks!

          > You've just given me yet
          > another incentive to have my IR templates done before the goods
          > arrive.

          Working already! :D

          Shane
        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1 8:31 AM
            Shane,

            I think there are some quirks somewhere in the system. My stats are
            shown as 0.8/0.3. Now, this is no big deal, but to my (almost) certain
            knowledge I have never filed any phase of any test late. I'm a bit
            obsessive/compulsive about that. That first number should therefore be
            -1, correct? If you can point out a late report section on record,
            I'll go check it out. My guess is that it's a recording glitch.

            Ted.

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
            <shane@...> wrote:

            > > This brings up a possible error: On my (André Corterier) tester's
            > > page, the statistic given at the top shows a 1.4 days late average
            > > for posting. If I add up the numbers it shows at the bottom of the
            > > page as the basis for calculation, the total days late add up to
            > > zero, which divided by 10 should also be zero, no?
            >
            > You are correct. The math is off somewhere. Sorry for that. I'll
            have to
            > tinker with it tonight. I suspect I forgot a GO TOP command in one
            of the
            > calculation routines and it's not picking up the same reports for the
            > calculation that are shown in the grid.
            >
            > > I was thinking that maybe my last post (posted only a few hours ago
            > > and already in the database - wow!)
            >
            > The data entry is getting easier all the time.
            >
            > > I don't have a problem with having the given numbers associated with
            > > me and won't bore anyone with the reasons I uploaded some reports
            > > late, but I felt that you would be interested in the apparent
            > > mathematical inconsistency.
            >
            > Yes, I am interested. I want it to be right.
            >
            > > P.S.: Transparency is good. So I'm all for the idea.
            >
            > I like transparency too, and I'm keen on statistics. It also gives
            folks
            > some bragging rights. I hope the stats are a useful tool for
            everyone. If
            > folks stop using them as a tool and start using them as a weapon
            then we
            > might revisit the idea. I could, for instance, have BridGeT put
            those stats
            > in an email and send them to each tester individually for just that
            tester.

            > >And I am simply
            > > amazed at what you've been doing with this stuff in the little time
            > > you've been at it. Keep up the good work.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > > You've just given me yet
            > > another incentive to have my IR templates done before the goods
            > > arrive.
            >
            > Working already! :D
            >
            > Shane

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1 2:25 PM
              Hi, Guys-

              I can tell from reading the comments in thread that I will be unhappy with my stats. I had some reports posted before "The Holidays" with which I had problems for the upload stage. We had a rash of computer problems and my monitors knew that we had replacement computers coming. Where I work anything Yahoo is blocked and personal software cannot be installed. Then we had the approved holiday break. Maybe the best one was a miscommunication between one monitor and me. She thought she had sent in my edit and I was waiting for them. It turned out she had no edits, but that message did not appear to make it to Yahoo. I couldn't find it with repeated searches. So, that one gets chalked up as another late upload. Stuff happens.

              Rosaleen

            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1 2:58 PM
                The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.

                Shane
                List Admin
              • Mark Wood
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 1 3:05 PM
                  Is this a permanent change or just for maintenance purposes.

                  Personally, I found the data very interesting and useful. The amount of
                  hard work you've put in to the database system is amazing!

                  Very appreciative,

                  Mark

                  Shane Steinkamp wrote:
                  > The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.
                  >
                  > Shane
                  > List Admin
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Rescue
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 1 3:44 PM
                    Personally, while I think that the information may vary with holiday
                    schedules, computer problems, and the like; I definitely think that this
                    information is useful. We must also remember that while this number is
                    probably referenced when choosing gear testers, it isn't the sole item that
                    is reviewed.

                    As an example. I looked up the number of some well experienced testers. I
                    found that while some testers had number ~2 most testers had numbers above
                    that with some being exceptionally high (one above 60).

                    Personally... I think you should leave the information Shane. It may be a
                    little thing, but it's still one thing that we all can improve to better our
                    chances for being chosen for tests.

                    Just my 2 cents.
                    AB

                    > The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.
                    >
                    > Shane
                    > List Admin
                  • Jennifer Pope
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 1 3:54 PM
                      I actually like it even though my data looks pretty shitty (uploads were
                      under the requirement but my late reports weren't so hot). I clicked
                      several other testers (just to see if I was the only one that's been
                      terrible lately). Now granted if the system took into account ALL of my
                      reports I'm sure it'd be much lower. I just happened to suck up a couple
                      reports recently. It does give me an incentive to improve my punctuality.

                      If you take it away I'd like to get this info emailed to me personally like
                      you mentioned before, if that's possible. It's something I'd like to track
                      on my own but since I doubt I'll get my shit together enough to do that any
                      time soon- it's cool if your system can do it automatically. Now everyone
                      go click on my name before the stats are gone so you can see how delinquent
                      I've been. ;)

                      Jennifer P.

                      On 2/1/07, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:

                      > The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.
                      >
                      > Shane
                      > List Admin

                    • Liz Neely
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 1 4:05 PM
                        I like the concept, but some of my data is inaccurate and I wouldn't want to
                        be judged based on inaccurate data. It's probably very difficult to have that
                        data be accurate.

                        Liz

                        On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 03:54:22PM -0800, Jennifer Pope wrote:
                        > I actually like it even though my data looks pretty shitty (uploads were
                        > under the requirement but my late reports weren't so hot). I clicked
                        > several other testers (just to see if I was the only one that's been
                        > terrible lately). Now granted if the system took into account ALL of my
                        > reports I'm sure it'd be much lower. I just happened to suck up a couple
                        > reports recently. It does give me an incentive to improve my punctuality.
                        >
                        > If you take it away I'd like to get this info emailed to me personally like
                        > you mentioned before, if that's possible. It's something I'd like to track
                        > on my own but since I doubt I'll get my shit together enough to do that any
                        > time soon- it's cool if your system can do it automatically. Now everyone
                        > go click on my name before the stats are gone so you can see how delinquent
                        > I've been. ;)
                        >
                        > Jennifer P.
                        >
                        > On 2/1/07, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.
                        > >
                        > > Shane
                        > > List Admin

                      • Shane Steinkamp
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 1 4:05 PM
                          > Is this a permanent change or just for maintenance purposes.

                          The statistics will be removed until further notice. It is the Will of the
                          Oracle.

                          Further information and a different way forward will be forthcoming tonight,
                          but I have to thinker it for awhile.

                          > Personally, I found the data very interesting and useful.

                          There are several concerns that I will detail in a few hours. I am going to
                          work on it while I eat dinner with Madeline. Noodles and ham. Breakfast of
                          champions.

                          > The amount of hard work you've put in to the database system is amazing!

                          Thanks. It's going to get better. I'm just about half way on the
                          Production / Status stuff. Then I am going to build some other tools. Then
                          I'm going to release version 2 of the Report Writer. Then I'm going to work
                          with Dave and Rick on the website and sort of merge some functionality. By
                          the end of this year I intend to have all levels of BGT configured and
                          streamlined to optomize everyone's fun quotent for the next ten years. Past
                          ten years, there are going to have to be some other changes, but we'll be
                          able to do those slowly. Remote data technology is going to go leaps and
                          bounds in the next five years, and when the tools are capable of doing what
                          we need to do with them, we'll do it.

                          I have to admit that I'm having a blast dong this. I'm keeping a promise
                          that I made a long time ago. I do want to get past that promise and get on
                          to the purpose of my participation here, which is to get some gear to test
                          and go out and test it. It's 'a comin'...

                          Shane
                        • Roger Caffin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 1 10:10 PM
                            > The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.
                            BOO!

                            Frankly, while some people may find their apparent track record is not so hot, I think this page is the biggest
                            incentive I have seen yet for getting everyone to improve their performance. The stats you have are a very simple guide
                            to punctuality. I strongly urge that we keep it!

                            All we need to do is to make a note at the top that the statistics may be a bit unreliable as some data has errors, and
                            that the Mods will be treating the data as a bit flakey for some time. We know it's flaky: there has been no feedback in
                            the past. We should invite people to point out errors where appropriate, while not making a commitment to rapid
                            correction.

                            We want BGT to get a higher reputation: to do this we NEED performance statistics. This is the way to lift our game.

                            Cheers
                            Roger
                          • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 2 5:31 AM
                              Darn... I was too late to see your stats, Jennifer.

                              I agree that the information was useful... and I'm not just saying that
                              because my score was good! If it doesn't come back, I would like access to
                              my own data (which is probably covered in an e-mail I haven't read yet).
                              Maybe we could "sign up" to authorize having our information public which
                              would allow the few that don't like the idea to remain anonymous.

                              Jet

                              backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com wrote on 02/01/2007 05:54:22 PM:

                              > I actually like it even though my data looks pretty shitty (uploads were
                              > under the requirement but my late reports weren't so hot). I clicked
                              > several other testers (just to see if I was the only one that's been
                              > terrible lately). Now granted if the system took into account ALL of my
                              > reports I'm sure it'd be much lower. I just happened to suck up a couple
                              > reports recently. It does give me an incentive to improve my
                              punctuality.

                              > If you take it away I'd like to get this info emailed to me personally
                              like
                              > you mentioned before, if that's possible. It's something I'd like to
                              track
                              > on my own but since I doubt I'll get my shit together enough to do that
                              any
                              > time soon- it's cool if your system can do it automatically. Now
                              everyone
                              > go click on my name before the stats are gone so you can see how
                              delinquent
                              > I've been. ;)
                              >
                              > Jennifer P.
                              >
                              > On 2/1/07, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.
                              > >
                              > > Shane
                              > > List Admin

                            • Shane Steinkamp
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 2 6:51 AM
                                >> The statistics data will be removed from the pages tonight.

                                > BOO!

                                Yeah, well...

                                This discussion is now moved to BGT Web. Over the next little while I'll
                                type out all the issues and we can discuss them there.

                                Thanks!

                                Shane
                                List Admin