FR- Spyderco Delica CombinationEdge

  • David Posalski
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2005
      Field Report- Spyderco Delica FRN

      Personal biographical information

      David Posalski
      30
      Male
      5'11", 180 cm
      265 lb , 120 kg
      dposalski at m s n.com
      Aloha, Oregon, USA
      03/08/05
      I started backpacking as a kid in the Boy Scouts doing overnighters.
      In the last few months, I have a strong desire to see things that relatively
      few people have seen. This has drawn me back to backpacking. I have found it
      to be the most
      enjoyable thing I know. Have gotten my wife involved and we get out
      and hike at least once a month. I generally carry about 40 lbs. and
      am in the process of decreasing that weight.

      Product Information (per manufacturer)
      Manufacturer- Spyderco
      URL- http://www.spyderco.com
      Model- Delica FRN Combination Edge
      Overall length- 7 in (178 mm)
      Blade length- 3 in (77 mm)
      Weight- 1.9 oz (55 g), measured 2 oz (57 g)
      Closed length 4 in (102 mm)
      Thumb hole diameter 15/32 in (12 mm)
      MSRP- 66.95 USD

      Field Report
      I have carried the Delica on a daily basis on the right pocket of my pants
      using the ClipIt feature. It has been used for various activities and tasks
      and has become a trusted companion. I have found this knife to be not only
      durable, but also very useful.

      The clip has held the knife securely to my pants and I have never had an
      occasion to lose the knife from its place. It stays secure and is easy to
      access from this location. Putting it back while wearing jeans is slightly
      difficult due to the thickness of the denim at the edge of my pocket. With
      a little wiggling of the clip against the edge of my pocket, I am able to
      secure the knife to my pocket. The clip has shown some wear of the finish
      at the top and bottom of the clip. It is not completely bare, but rather
      looks worn. The effectiveness of the clip has not been affected. I was
      initially concerned with the weight of the knife, but have found that by
      using the clip, the weight is unperceivable. It is very different from
      having a knife wiggling at the bottom of my pocket. Because it is secure,
      the weight does not present itself. I immediately forget that it is there.
      The thumb hole on the knife is used for opening the knife with one hand. I
      have found this to be effective and it is relatively easy to open. I have
      pretty large hands and find it easy to use. The knife takes a little extra
      effort to get the blade moving from a closed position using the hole. Once
      it is moving, it opens smoothly for the duration of the blade path. I find
      it necessary to make sure that the knife fits vertically across the top of
      my palm to get it to open. Vertically means that the blade is facing the
      sky if my hand was palm-up and open. The lock mechanism is against my hand.
      I think that someone with smaller hands may have more difficulty opening
      the knife, but that is speculation. I will find several people with
      differing hand sizes to evaluate this point in my next report.

      The combination blade has been very useful and has stayed very sharp. In
      fact, it is the sharpest blade in my house and gets used around the house
      for various tasks. I have used it as a box opener, for cutting meats and
      vegetables and cheese on the trail, for cutting rope, for cutting small
      branches off trees, and as a steak knife. I have used it for planting
      flowers and vegetables for cutting through the plastic containers and
      through the root ball. It has worked very well for all these tasks. It has
      cut surprisingly fast and has not dulled beyond usefulness. I have not had
      a need or an opportunity to sharpen the blade, yet. I would have expected
      to need to sharpen the knife by now, but it has held the edge well. I will
      be interested in determining how hard it is to sharpen the serrated area.

      The handle is very secure in my hands. I find the pattern to be secure, and
      not abrasive. After using the knife for extended periods, I did feel light
      cramping in my hands. This is probably due to the narrowness of the handle.
      For extended cutting I would normally use a knife with a larger handle,
      but wanted to use this knife in all situations. I would not recommend this
      knife for cutting carpet or for long periods of time, as I don�t think that
      is its purpose. For occasional cutting of food or rope or fabric or wood
      out on the trail, it works very effectively.

      Test Conditions

      The knife has been used in Oregon where I live, at home and on the
      trail. I have taken it with me everywhere I go. The weather has been very
      damp and rainy and there is no visible negative effect of this weather. The
      knife has had two rides through the washing machine and the dryer. This was
      unintentional and does not seem to have had a negative effect on the knife
      other than possibly contributing to the finish rubbing off of the clip. The
      knife has been to the beach for a couple weekends and does not show any
      negative effects from the salt air. In the coming months I will be taking
      several weekend hiking trips and a trip around Mt Hood. I will also be
      sharpening the knife and will report on those results.

      David Posalski
    • David Posalski
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
        Just checking on the status on the edit of this report. Perhaps, I
        overlooked the edit or perhaps it wasn't seen, or perhaps someone is OOP.
        In any case, I look forward to uploading it when it is ready. Thanks in
        advance.

        Davdi Posalski

        David Posalski
      • Leesa J
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
          David, The edit is message #2978

          Let me know if you have any questions. Leesa

          On 6/1/05, David Posalski <dposalski@...> wrote:
          > Just checking on the status on the edit of this report. Perhaps, I
          > overlooked the edit or perhaps it wasn't seen, or perhaps someone is OOP.
          > In any case, I look forward to uploading it when it is ready. Thanks in
          > advance.
          >
          > Davdi Posalski
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
            At 01:21 AM 2/06/2005, you wrote:
            >Just checking on the status on the edit of this report. Perhaps, I
            >overlooked the edit or perhaps it wasn't seen, or perhaps someone is OOP.
            >In any case, I look forward to uploading it when it is ready. Thanks in
            >advance.
            >
            >Davdi Posalski

            Hi David

            It was edited on May 16, 2005. You can search for the edit in the message
            database at <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/messages>.

            Please also monitor the two reports posted each week which would have also
            signalled to you that your edit had been done.

            If I have to follow-up it does get noted and may impact on your future
            testing, so it is better all around if you take a moment to watch for
            edits, due dates etc.

            Regards
            Andrew Priest
            List Moderator