Field Report - Wigwam InGenius Hiker Socks - Thomas Vickers

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
      html here

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/TV-InGenius-FR/

      Wigwam InGenius Hiker Socks Field Test Information
      January 29, 2007

      Putting on the Socks:
      One thing that I can say about the InGenius Hiker Socks is that they
      are easy to put on. The reason that I bring this up is that no matter
      how hard I try, putting on an outter sock over a liner has always been
      a magic trick for me. There are days when I have no issues, but often,
      the liner socks ball up, clump, or otherwise cause a problem that
      forces me to take the over-sock off, realign the liner, then put the
      over-sock back on. With the InGenius Hikers, this problem doesn't
      exist. The melding of the two socks into one handy piece of fabric
      makes my early morning dressing so much easier.

      A concern that I was worried about was whether or not the InGenius
      Hiker Socks would be bulky enough to fill up my hiking boots. I wear
      my boots a size larger than my normal shoes because of the bulk
      associated with my typical sock/liner combination. I am happy to
      report that the InGenius Hikers do not feel as bulky as a separate
      sock and liner, but they do fill up my boots just the right way. Just
      enough room for footbeds, feet, and socks without any spare space to
      cause problems.

      Trip type: Overnight (2 day/2 night)
      LOcation: Along the San Jacinto River
      Length: 6 miles (10 km) total distance over two days/nights
      Pack weight: 18 lb (8 kg)
      Temperature: 32 F to 48 F (0 C to 9 C)
      Alittude: Sea Level

      This weekend trip was my first use of the InGenius Hiker Socks outside
      of the house. I covered some rather rough and uneven terrain along
      the San Jacinto River, which was a good test of the socks. Despite
      having to make lots of strange and outlandish foot placements on this
      trip, I was happy to find that the socks filled my boots up and didn't
      allow my feet to slip when I had to plant and rotate my boots. Another
      thing that I noticed on this trip was that when I got the socks on, my
      boots on, and my pack on, the padding in the sole area of the sock
      became apparent. When examining this area by hand, I didn' think that
      these socks were going to offer much padding to my feet. It was a
      pleasant surprise to put them on and feel the smooshy padding on the
      soles. Oh, the delightful sensations that my feet were enjoying were
      probably sinful.

      These socks also kept my feet warm. I prefer not to wear socks to bed
      unless necessary, but as the temperatures dipped below about 40 F (),
      it is always time to start putting on the layers. Since I usually
      sleep in a hammock, keeping my feet warm tends to be my main concern.
      As the temperature drops I start by adding liner socks to my feet.
      After I get two layers of liner socks on, I then start adding layers
      of hiking socks. In a worst case scenario I have been required to
      wear two layer of liners and two layers of hiking socks to keep my
      feet warm. This was all in the 35 F - 26 F (2 C to - 3 C) temperature
      range. The InGenius Hiker socks take all the effort out of keeping my
      feet warm while sleeping. One pair on when the temperatures drop below
      40 F (4 C) and they kept my feet (in a sleeping bag) toasty all the
      way down to 32 F (0 C). No waking up to keep layering up my feet,
      just one application of warm and fuzzy hiking socks. Oh yeah, that was
      the way to sleep. Best of all, without four layers of elastic around
      my ankles, there was no impairment of circulation in my feet (yes this
      has happened).

      Overall, I was impressed with the way these socks handled my boots and
      the temperatures. They kept my feet comfortable while moving and
      warm when I was sleeping.

      Trip type: Dayhike
      Location: W.G. Jones State Forest
      Length: 3 miles (5 km) total distance
      Pack weight: 5 lb (2 kg)
      Temperature: 77 FF ( 25 C)
      Alittude: Sea Level

      One of the wonderful things about winter in Texas is that it gives me
      a chance to get out in warmer temperatures. I didn't go far or fast,
      but I did discover that my feet can get rather sweaty in the InGenius
      Hiker Socks. I really can't stand the feeling of my toes being wet
      and slippery, but this is what I endured for this short hike. When I
      got back to the car, I took my boots and socks off to see just how bad
      it was on the inside of the InGenius Hikers. The inner portion of the
      socks were slippery, but not soaked. My feet seemed to be the worst
      off and covered in sweat. The outter portion of the sock was still
      dry, so I don't feel like much of the moisture was wicked away from
      the interior. I tend to believe that since the hike was so short in
      length and duration that there was little or no chance for the
      moisture to move from the liner portion to the outter portion. What I
      really need to do at this point is to take a longer duration hike in
      the same temperature range and see if the sweaty feet syndrome gets
      better the longer the socks are worn.

      Trip type: Overnight (2 day/2 night)
      LOcation: Sam Houston National Forest
      Length: 9 miles (14 km) total distance over two days/nights
      Pack weight: 15 lb (7 kg)
      Temperature: 40 F to 60 F (4 C to 16 C)
      Alittude: Sea Level

      After my last adventure in the InGenius socks, I was really hoping
      that I would not have to deal with the sweaty feet syndrome. Luckily
      I was out and about in much lower temperatures and my feet did not
      overheat this time. Moving steadly makes anyone's feet sweat, even my
      lovely toes do, but the lower the temperatures get under 65 F, the
      happier mine are with the InGenius Hiker Socks. They wicked away the
      moisture much better at lower temperatures and I feel this is mainly
      because my feet were less sweaty to begin with. So as the temperature
      rises, the liner portion's wicking ability can be overwhelmed.

      I do feel that the socks wick moisture pretty well, but lower
      temperatures help. On this little trip, I got the socks wet (water
      got in the boot) and I was not a happy camper. Squishy socks suck in
      the worst way and I still had about two miles till I was at my
      destination. My first inclination was to stop, change into a dry pair
      and keep going, but instead I stuck with the wet socks. After about
      45 minutes of constant movement, my toes were dry. Yes, I said that
      correctly. As I rubbed my toes together, they stuck. No slippery
      moisture and the liner portion even felt fairly dry. So, after being
      soaked pretty well, the interior of the sock felt comfy and dry. When
      I stopped at my camp site later in the day, my feet still felt dry,
      but when the boots came off, the exterior portion of the sock was wet
      to the touch. It was wet enough that it would have left an imprint on
      a dry surface if I had stepped on one. I couldn't wring water out of
      it, but compared to the liner and my feet, the exterior was soaked.
      This is what I call wicking. When my socks got wet, so did my feet. In
      under and hour, the interior of the sock was dry (or very close to
      dry) and the exterior was still wet. I was really starting to like
      these socks. I really enjoyed the fact that in the morning, my first
      pair of socks were completely dry and ready to wear again, so I didn't
      have to sacrifice my sleeping pair of InGenius Hikers to my boots that
      next day.

      I also liked wearing my camp shoes around with these socks. I often
      go sockless, but the the tempation to keep my feet warm was too much.
      I put on my clean pair of InGenius Hikers and wore them with my camp
      sandals. Wow!! Warm feet. Comfortable feet. I really do love these
      socks.
      Trip Type: Dayhike
      LOcation: Jones State Forest
      Length: 2 miles (3 km) total distance
      Pack weight: 8 lb (4 kg)
      Temperature: 32 F (0 C)
      Alittude: Sea Level

      This day was cold. Far colder than I ever wanted to experience here in
      Texas, but I still had to get out for awhile. What else is a person
      supposed to do when they cancel your work due to weather? This trip
      was short and agonizing except for the fact that I had on my InGenius
      socks. My feet stayed toasty the whole trip. I am really starting to
      believe that these are great socks for cold weather. Probably the
      best socks I have ever worn when it gets cold.
      Trip Type: Dayhike
      LOcation: Sam Houston National Forest
      Length: 4 miles (6 km) total distance
      Pack weight: 11 lb (5 kg)
      Temperature: 64-70 F (18 C to 21 C)
      Alittude: Sea Level

      This was a short and wet trip in the woods after a week of constant
      rain. The hike started off rather warm, as did my feet, which is
      causing me to believe that in temps above 65 F, the InGenius Hiker
      socks are not for me. They are just too darned warm. Of course my
      feet did get wet again due to trail conditions and as I found earlier,
      it doesn't take long for the liner to wick the moisture off of my feet
      and into the outer sock. The last mile or so of the trip was dry and
      by the time I got back to the car, my toes were dry and the liner
      portion of the sock was pretty darned close to dry as well. Before I
      could get the socks off, I put my foot down and left a wet print on
      the carpet of the truck, which showed me that the outter sock was
      still wet, but the moisture had almost all wicked away from my foot.
      I am starting to feel that these socks are almost as anti-squishy toes
      as I am.

      Overview:
      Right now I am extremely happy with the InGenius Hiker socks in
      temperatures under 65 F(18 C). They fit my feet, they fit my boots,
      and they do a great job of keeping my feet warm, even when they get
      wet. They also do a good job of getting my feet dry, even when the
      socks are wet. Considering that the socks are made from Merino wool,
      I was worried that they were going to be prickly or smelly, but so far
      I have encountered no such issues. The socks have never made my feet
      itch and after two months of use (no washing yet) they smell far less
      worse than I would have expected. I have aired them out after every
      hike, but not washing socks often leads to nasty foot odors at my
      house. I know my original test plan called for weekly laundering,
      but I have been afraid that something magical might wash out and I
      won't find them as comfortable after laundering. So far, the InGenius
      Hikers have not developed any permenant stink and hopefully won't
      since I plan on washing them soon.

      I have also had no issues with blisters while wearing these socks.
      This is something else that I really like. One of the reasons that I
      started wearing liner socks was to avoid blisters (they went away when
      I started using liner socks) and I had my fears about the InGenius
      combination of sock and liner. Good news is that there have been no
      hot spots or blisters at all. I think that the combination of
      sock/liner removes the extra friction and movement that can occure
      between socks and liners and helps my feet stay blister free.

      This concludes my Field Report. Please return in two months to read
      about my further testing reports and my final conclusions.
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Thomas Vickers,

        Here are your Official Edits for your InGenius Socks FR. Your HTML
        looks good. A few minor changes – *most* of which should have been
        caught by a spell checker – and you can upload when ready.

        Fuzzy
        InGenius Monitor
        The reason that I bring this up is that no matter how hard I try,
        putting on an outter sock over a liner has always been a magic trick
        for me.
        [EDIT] outer, not outter – several places

        LOcation: Along the San Jacinto River
        [EDIT] lower case "o" in location – several places

        Alittude: Sea Level
        [EDIT] Altitude – several places

        When examining this area by hand, I didn' think that these socks were
        going to offer much padding to my feet.
        [EDIT] didn't (missing "t")

        Oh, the delightful sensations that my feet were enjoying were
        probably sinful.
        [Comment] Tee Hee

        I prefer not to wear socks to bed unless necessary, but as the
        temperatures dipped below about 40 F (), it is always time to start
        putting on the layers.
        [EDIT] metric, please

        Temperature: 77 FF ( 25 C)
        [EDIT] extra "F"
        [Edit] extra space before the "2"

        Moving steadly makes anyone's feet sweat, even my lovely toes do,
        [EDIT] steadily

        but the lower the temperatures get under 65 F, the happier mine are
        with the InGenius Hiker Socks.
        [EDIT] metric, please

        So as the temperature rises, the liner portion's wicking ability can
        be overwhelmed.
        [Comment] This statement seemed like projection at first glance, but
        is backed up by observation. I will leave it to you.

        my first pair of socks were completely dry and ready to wear again
        [EDIT] The subject in this case is pair, so "my first pair of socks
        was completely dry"

        I often go sockless, but the the tempation to keep my feet warm was
        too much.
        [EDIT] extra "the"
        [EDIT] temptation
        [Comment] That ain't no temptation, that's an iron-clad necessity

        The hike started off rather warm, as did my feet, which is causing me
        to believe that in temps above 65 F, the InGenius Hiker socks are not
        for me.
        [EDIT] metric, please

        Right now I am extremely happy with the InGenius Hiker socks in
        temperatures under 65 F(18 C).
        [Edit] add a space between "F" and "("

        The socks have never made my feet itch and after two months of use
        (no washing yet)
        [Comment] eeewwwWWWWW!!!

        they smell far less worse than I would have expected.
        [EDIT] "less worse" <shudder> doesn't fly. Perhaps "they stink far
        less than..."?

        I have aired them out after every hike, but not washing socks often
        leads to nasty foot odors at my house.
        [Comment] Yours, too?

        So far, the InGenius Hikers have not developed any permenant stink
        [EDIT] permanent

        and hopefully won't since I plan on washing them soon.
        [Comment] your family thanks you

        I think that the combination of sock/liner removes the extra friction
        and movement that can occure between socks and liners and helps my
        feet stay blister free.
        [EDIT] occur

        Please return in two months to read about my further testing reports
        and my final conclusions.
        [Edit] I *suggest* you say when that would be, rather than saying 2
        months. What if the reader sees this 6 weeks from now? They would
        have to go searching for the date to figure it out. Just my 2¢...
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          Sorry about the spelling.
          OUCH.

          I am going to reinstall my html editor. The spell checker was run and it
          missed everything.

          Frontpage has never worked right on the tablet PC and it has finally gone
          over the edge.

          Thanks for your patience.

          TV
        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
            <redroach@...> wrote:

            > Sorry about the spelling.
            > OUCH.
            >
            > I am going to reinstall my html editor. The spell checker was run and
            it
            > missed everything.
            >
            > Frontpage has never worked right on the tablet PC and it has finally
            gone
            > over the edge.
            >
            > Thanks for your patience.

            Nominal perspiration.