Long-term Report - SEALLINE STORM SACK - Andrew Priest

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      Dear Dennis

      Please find my Long-term Report on the SealLine
      Storm Sack 20 L. The HTML copy can be found at
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Andrew_-_LTR_Sealline_Storm_Sack>.

      Regards
      Andrew Priest

      SEALLINE STORM SACK 20 L
      Long-term Report
      November 21, 2006

      Authored by

      Andrew Priest
      Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      aushiker@...

      TABLE OF CONTENTS

      * Product Details and Specifications
      *Tester's Details
      +Personal Biography
      +Testing Playground
      +Testing Environment
      *Long-term Report

      Andrew, the tester:

      I am a 46 year old male, 180 cm (5' 11") in
      height, I weigh 111 kg (245 lb). I have been
      bushwalking in Western Australia for
      approximately five years. For the past four years
      I have been regularly walking and leading on and
      off-track pack carries with the Perth Bushwalkers
      Club. I have also got into geocaching. I consider
      myself as moving towards being a lightweight
      tent-carrying bushwalker with my pack base weight
      in the 8 to 12 kg (18 to 26 lb) range. I have
      completed my End to End of the Bibbulmun Track
      (2003), the Cape to Cape Track (Nov 2001), the
      Coastal Plains Walk Track (numerous times), the
      Larapinta Trail (July 2005) and Fitzgerald River National Park (April 2006).

      I have experience with dry bag type stuff sacks,
      having being a user of Sea to Summit Lightweight
      Dry Sacks since 2001 and more recently I have
      started using Sea To Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sacks.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Andrew's testing playground:

      The bushwalking environment of the south-west of
      Western Australia allows for bushwalks and
      backpacking from coastal plains to forest.
      Elevation ranges from 0 to 585 metres (0 to 1,920
      feet). Within this region, I walk in varying
      conditions from forestry roads, to sandy tracks
      to single-purpose walking trails, to rock
      hopping, to beach walking to completely off-track
      walking through open and dense country.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      The testing environment:

      During the summer period, daytime temperatures
      average 30° C (86° F), whereas from March through
      to December the daytime average temperatures
      range from 15° C to 26° C (59° F to 79° F).
      During the autumn, winter, and spring periods the
      normal weather pattern is fairly wet with
      frequent heavy rainstorms evident. It does not
      normally snow in Western Australia.

      According to The Times Atlas of the World
      (Concise Edition - Revised 1997) our weather is
      described as being "Mediterranean - rainy
      climates with mild winters, coolest month above
      0° C (32° F), but below 18° C (64° F); warmest
      month above 10° C (50° F)." The atlas depicts the
      coastal area north of Los Angeles, California, US as having the same climate.

      Product Details:

      *Manufacturer: SealLine
      *Year of Manufacturer: 2006
      *MSRP: US$18.95

      The SealLine Storm Sack is described by SealLine
      as a "lightweight, watertight stuff sack." It is
      a cylindrical shaped dry bag with roll-down
      closure and is of a sewn and taped seam sealed
      construction. The Storm Sack is made of PVC-free 210D PU-coated nylon.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Specifications for 20 L Storm Sack as tested:

      *Manufacturer's specified weight: 108 g (3.8 oz)
      *My weight: 118 g (4.2 oz)
      *Manufacturer's Dimensions: 23 x 53 cm (9 x 21 in)
      *My Dimensions: 37 x 58 cm (14.5 x 23 in). The
      length is measured along the vertical seam from
      the top of the closure to the bottom seam and the
      width is measured with the bag layered out flat.
      *Manufacturer's Volume: 21.5 L (1310 cu in)
      *My Volume: Not measured

      Long-term Report:

      My long-term use of the SealLine Storm Sack was
      somewhat less than I had planned as September
      backpack had to be down-sized due to personal
      reasons. I did however use it on a
      October/November weekend backpack on the Old
      Timberline Trail, St John's Brook Conservation
      Park, Nannup. I also continued to use it
      occasionally on my "John Howard" (read walks) to
      work and back again. On these walks I carry my
      laptop in the Storm Sack inside my day pack.

      On the backpack on the Old Timberline Trail it
      did not rain so once again the Storm Sack did not
      get to be put to the test in wet conditions.
      Sadly we have had a very dry winter.

      Reflecting back on my four primary testing points
      outlined in my Initial Report and summarised in
      my Field Report I am pleased to conclude that:

      * In terms of watertightness of the Storm Sack,
      from my limited exposure to rain and using the
      Storm Sack in my backpack it kept my sleeping bag
      and clothes dry. It has also worked effectively
      keeping my laptop dry. So from this perspective I am happy with the Storm Sack.
      * As per the above comment I have had no issues
      with the roll down closure of the Storm Sack. It
      has worked effectively and is not showing any signs of wear or tear.
      * Continuing this theme, the Storm Sack has shown
      to be very durable during the test phase. None of
      the seams have given way, the Storm Sack has not
      been punctured and the closure has shown no signs of wear.
      * One aspect of the Storm Sack which has really
      grabbed me is the grab handle on the base of the
      Storm Sack. I really love this simple feature. As
      I reported on in my Field Report it makes it so
      much easier to remove tightly gear from the sack.

      All up I am very impressed with the Storm Sack
      and will continue to use. My only dislike is its
      weight which is in my view a bit on the heavy
      side. That side for longer walks were durability
      is important and/or walks where I anticipate pack
      swims across rivers I will be using the Storm Sack.

      My thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and SealLine
      for being able to participate in this test.

      [Click here to return to the top]