Long-term Report: THERM-A-REST TRAIL COMFORT - Andrew Priest

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      Dear Chuck

      Please find my THERM-A-REST TRAIL COMFORT
      Long-term Report below. You will find the HTML
      copy at
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Andrew_-_LTR_Therm-a-Rest_Trail_Comfort/>.

      Thanks
      Andrew Priest

      THERM-A-REST TREK & TRAVEL SERIES TRAIL COMFORT REGULAR
      Long-term Report
      November 14, 2006

      Photo courtesy Therm-a-Rest

      Authored by

      Andrew Priest
      Perth, Western Australia, Australia
      aushiker@...

      TABLE OF CONTENTS

      *Product Details and Specifications
      *Tester's Details
      +Personal Biography
      +Testing Playground
      +Testing Environment
      *Long-term Report

      Andrew, the tester:

      I am a 46 year old male, 180 cm (5' 11") in
      height, I weigh 111 kg (245 lb). I have been
      bushwalking in Western Australia for
      approximately five years. For the past four years
      I have been regularly walking and leading on and
      off-track pack carries with the Perth Bushwalkers
      Club. I have also got into geocaching. I consider
      myself as moving towards being a lightweight
      tent-carrying bushwalker with my pack base weight
      in the 8 to 12 kg (18 to 26 lb) range. I have
      completed my End to End of the Bibbulmun Track
      (2003), the Cape to Cape Track (Nov 2001), the
      Coastal Plains Walk Track (numerous times), the
      Larapinta Trail (July 2005) and Fitzgerald River National Park (April 2006).

      I have previously tested a Therm-a-Rest ProLite
      series sleeping mat and own and have used a
      Therm-a-Rest Classic full length sleeping mat and
      a Aritach Confort-Mat 3/4 length sleeping mat.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Andrew's testing playground:

      The bushwalking environment of the south-west of
      Western Australia allows for bushwalks and
      backpacking from coastal plains to forest.
      Elevation ranges from 0 to 585 metres (0 to 1,920
      feet). Within this region, I walk in varying
      conditions from forestry roads, to sandy tracks
      to single-purpose walking trails, to rock
      hopping, to beach walking to completely off-track
      walking through open and dense country.

      The testing environment:

      During the summer period, daytime temperatures
      average 30° C (86° F), whereas from March through
      to December the daytime average temperatures
      range from 15° C to 26° C (59° F to 79° F).
      During the autumn, winter, and spring periods the
      normal weather pattern is fairly wet with
      frequent heavy rainstorms evident. It does not
      normally snow in Western Australia.

      According to The Times Atlas of the World
      (Concise Edition - Revised 1997) our weather is
      described as being "Mediterranean - rainy
      climates with mild winters, coolest month above
      0° C (32° F), but below 18° C (64° F); warmest
      month above 10° C (50° F)." The atlas depicts the
      coastal area north of Los Angeles, California, US as having the same climate.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Product Details:

      * Manufacturer: Therm-a-Rest
      *Year of Manufacturer: 2006
      * MSRP: US$69.95

      The Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort sleeping mat is
      part of the Therm-a-Rest Trek and Travel series.
      Therm-a-Rest describe this series of mats as
      their "warmest, most comfortable backpacking
      mattress." The Trail Comfort is a long mattress
      (in the regular size, 185 cm (72 in) and is thick
      at 5 cm (2 in) so this may well be a valid claim.

      Specifications for the Regular Size:

      *Manufacturer's specified weight: 1080 g (2lb 6 oz)
      *My weight: 1079 g (2lb 6 oz)
      *Manufacturer's Dimensions: 51 x 183 x 5 cm (20 x 72 x 2 in)
      *My Dimensions: 52 x 185 x NA cm (20 x 72 x NA in)
      *R-Value: 5 as specified by the manufacturer.

      [Click here to return to the top]

      Long-term Report:

      My long-term use of the Therm-a-Rest Trail
      Comfort was somewhat less than I had planned.
      Unfortunately due to personal circumstances my
      planned weekend backpack in September had to
      down-sized to day walk. This left me with only
      two more testing nights with the Trail Comfort on
      October 31 - November 1, 2006 in the St John
      Conversation Park, Nannup. On this trip I
      car-camped at Cambray Siding on the Friday night
      and then walked in carrying the Trail Comfort to
      Sleeper Hewers' Hut on the Old Timberline
      Trail. Both nights involved sleeping in my Big
      Sky Products Evolution 1P tent. The average
      minimum temperature for the area in October is 6.7 C (44 F).

      On both of these nights the Trail Comfort was
      very comfortable to sleep on and appeared to help
      keep me warm. I had no issues with coldness
      coming from the ground either night.

      Reflecting back on my primary six testing points
      outlined in my Initial Report and as summarised
      in my Field Report , I am pleased to conclude that:

      * In respect of comfort this is a very
      comfortable mat for me to sleep on. I have
      noticed a significant improvement in my sleeping
      during the test period. That said, is it enough
      of an improvement for me to warrant carrying this
      heavier and bulkier mat? I would suggest the jury
      is still out on that. I am probably more likely
      to take this mat on shorter backpacks rather than my longer backpacks.

      * Over the test period I have not experienced any
      issues in respect of durability.

      * As alluded to earlier I have found this mat to
      be warm given my weather conditions. I had no
      issues with cold coming up from the ground.
      * Using the mat in my nylon and silnylon floored
      tents has not caused any issues in terms of
      slippage. The mat has stayed in position quite
      well given I am a restless sleeper.
      * As per my comments in my Field Report, I have
      found the Trail Comfort did not pack down that
      small and therefore has been a bit of pain to
      carry. That said on my weekend backpack I did get
      it in my Granite Gear Stratus Latitude okay but was pushed for room.
      * I reported in my Field Report that I had no
      issues with inflating and that deflating was a
      bit harder than with my smaller mats. This summary remains as reported.

      Overall I am quite happy with the Therm-a-Rest
      Trail Comfort, my only negative being that it is
      a bit bulky for my backpacking set-up, but the
      comfort does go so way to make up for it. I
      suspect I will continue to use the Trail Comfort
      on car camping trips and on shorter and easier
      weakened backpacks where weight and space are less of an issue.

      My thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and
      Therm-a-Rest for being able to participate in this test.

      [Click here to return to the top]
    • Fuzzy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
        EDIT: Long-term Report: THERM-A-REST TRAIL COMFORT - Andrew Priest

        Sir Andrew,

        Here is your Official Edit of your Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort Long Term
        Report. I found just a few things. You most certainly know how this
        works.

        Fuzzy
        Trail Comfort Monitor
        *************************
        HTML Comment: Your fonts change repeatedly, and some words are bold
        where I am not sure you want them to be. It seems you took care of the
        buffer issue I mentioned on your Field Report.

        I suspect I will continue to use the Trail Comfort on car camping trips
        and on shorter and easier weakened backpacks where weight and space are
        less of an issue.
        [EDIT] weakened backpacks are not something I want to carry... I
        believe you mean weekend
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2007
          At 06:34 AM 6/01/2007, you wrote:
          >HTML Comment: Your fonts change repeatedly, and some words are bold
          >where I am not sure you want them to be.

          Bold is correct, but I can't see the font changes. Can you provide an example?

          > It seems you took care of the
          >buffer issue I mentioned on your Field Report.

          Missed that in respect to the Field Report. Will check the upload.

          >I suspect I will continue to use the Trail Comfort on car camping trips
          >and on shorter and easier weakened backpacks where weight and space are
          >less of an issue.
          >[EDIT] weakened backpacks are not something I want to carry... I
          >believe you mean weekend

          :-) Fixed thankyou.

          Thanks for covering this test.

          Andrew