IR - Outdoor Research W's Essence LS Tee - Kathy Waters

  • TheMiddleSister
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2006
      Initial Report
      Outdoor Research W's Essence LS Tee
      Kathy Waters
      December 7, 2006

      HTML with pictures can be seen in test folder at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20OR%20Ws%20Essence%20LS%20Tee%20-%20Kathy%20Waters/

      -----------------------------------
      Initial Report: Outdoor Research W's Essence LS Tee TM
      December 7, 2006

      ----

      Contents:
      Biographical Information
      Product Information
      First Impressions

      Tester Biographical Information <back to top>

      Name: Kathleen Waters
      Age: 55
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)
      Weight: 124.5 lb (56 kg)
      Bust: 35 in (89 cm)
      Waist: 27 in (69 cm)
      Hips: 36 in (91 cm)
      Email: kathy at bysky dot com or
      TheMiddleSister at usaring dot com
      City, State, Country: White Lake, Michigan USA
      Backpacking Background: My husband and I started hiking in 1998 after an
      eye-opening climb up Hahn's Peak in Colorado.

      Hooked, we return to Colorado often. We've hiked/snowshoed glaciers, rain
      forests, mountains and deserts in exotic locations, including Iceland, Costa
      Rica, Slovenia and Death Valley.

      At home in Michigan, we plan for 2-3 hikes of 6-8 mi (10-13 km) weekly and
      one weekend hike monthly. Weekday hikes take place in Pontiac Lake
      Recreation Area, a mixture of heavily-wooded moderate hills and flat
      terrain. Weekend hike locations vary.

      My hiking style is comfortable, aiming for lightweight. Current pack
      averages 25 lb (11 kg) including food and water.

      Product Information (including picture, from website) <back to top>
      http://www.outdoorresearch.com

      Manufacturer: Outdoor Research
      Year of Manufacturer: 2006
      Model: W's Essence LS Tee TM
      Weight: 5.3 oz/150 g (size M)
      Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL
      Color: Orchid, Wasabi (green), & Delphi (blue)
      MSRP: $42 US
      Warranty: None found

      Merino wool fibers give this comfortable long sleeve the ability to manage
      moisture and dry quickly. Active styling makes it feel more like a
      comfortable cotton shirt than a technical piece. The odor neutralization
      allows you to wear it for days on end without developing a permanent scent.

      + Lightweight Dri-Release® Wool fabric manages moisture, dries quickly
      + 88% polyester/12% Merino wool for superior wicking and a cotton-like feel
      + Built-in FreshGuard® odor neutralization
      + Raglan sleeves

      Product Information (from tester)

      Size: M
      Weight: 6 oz (170 g)
      Color: Wasabi

      First Impressions <back to top>

      The Outdoor Research W's Essence LS Tee TM as delivered is exactly what I
      expected after shopping the OR website. The "wasabi" color I received
      matches perfectly to the color depicted on the website and the website
      sizing chart was right on for helping me pick out the proper size for my
      desired fit.

      Like the baby bear in the fairy tale, I like my tees not too big, not too
      small, but "just right." And the Essence LS Tee TM fits me "just right",
      comfortably close without being tight. The sleeves are long enough to cover
      my wrists without being so long as to need rolling up. The hem hits me
      mid-hip - about 5 in (17 cm) below my waist which makes the Essence LS Tee
      TM long enough to be worn securely tucked-in or casually pulled-out. I can
      safely raise my arms over my hand and bend over to tie a boot lace without
      risking frostbite of the mid-riff.

      Princess seams both front and back combined with the raglan sleeves give the
      OR Essence LS Tee TM a neater look than the average tee and create a smooth,
      non-bulky underarm. The crew neck lies flat against my body. The raglan
      sleeves have no top-of-shoulder seams to rub under my backpack shoulder
      straps. The Outdoor Research W's Essence LS Tee TM is not a walking
      billboard emblazoned with corporate logos either. A small same-color raised
      logo can be barely seen on the upper back of the Essence Tee along with an
      even smaller fabric tag "OR" on the left hem. I can wear this Tee in public
      without being in the least self-conscious.

      Right out of the box, this is one comfortable long-sleeved tee! The
      softness of the fabric is like that of a well-worn, well-loved cotton tee
      with absolutely none of the scratchiness I expect from wool. The seams - and
      there are more than normal - are not even noticeable when I have the tee on.

      Thankfully, Outdoor Research utilizes a stamped size tag at the back of the
      neck rather than a protruding traditional one, so there is none of the usual
      irritation there. However, the care instructions which are on the inside
      left back seam, is on a particularly long, very stiff tag which is very
      scratchy. Another much smaller fabric tag in the same location touts the
      Dri-release® FreshGuard® feature and is much less noticeable.

      The quality of the Essence LS Tee TM is excellent. All seams are double
      stitched for strength and the edges are also top-stitched to prevent
      unraveling of the cut fabric edges. The stitches are straight and tight and
      the various junctions of two seams are smooth and lay flat nicely. I only
      found one very slightly loose/pulled stitch on the neckline and no loose
      threads or long "ends".

      The polyester/Merino wool fabric of the Essence LS Tee TM is smooth with no
      pulls, runs, snags or other irregularities.

      This concludes my Initial Report on the Outdoor Research W's Essence LS Tee
      TM. My Field Report should be completed by late February. Please check back
      then for my two-months' testing results. Thank you Outdoor Research and BGT
      for the opportunity to test this neat product.
      Kathy Waters