ARRIVED - SteriPen Adventurer - Mike Lipay

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
      Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.

      Mike Lipay
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
        Question: Will this follow the new report rules?

        mike

        On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Mike wrote:

        > Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.
        >
        > Mike Lipay
      • Jason Boyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
          You mean the 4 month test series, with an IR, FR, and LTR and the
          combined report format? I don't see any reason it wouldn't unless I am
          missing something?

          Jason B

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

          > Question: Will this follow the new report rules?
          >
          > mike
          >

          > On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Mike wrote:
          >
          > > Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.
          > >
          > > Mike Lipay

        • rayestrella1
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

            > Question: Will this follow the new report rules?

            Every new test will be the combined format. Only tests that were
            already in progress will finish up with the seperate format.

            If you are talking about the test plan, it is not required.

            Ray
          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
              Well, since this one started after the announced start of the new format, I
              can't imagine why it wouldn't either.

              *Any* test starting after that announcement (which would definitely be any
              test just starting) will use the new format.

              Jerry

              reviews and tests on the planet.

              You mean the 4 month test series, with an IR, FR, and LTR and the
              combined report format? I don't see any reason it wouldn't unless I am
              missing something?

              Jason B

              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Mike <hiking@...> wrote:

              > Question: Will this follow the new report rules?
              >
              > mike
              >

              > On Dec 2, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Mike wrote:
              >
              > > Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.
              > >
              > > Mike Lipay

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
                At 08:29 PM 2/12/2006, you wrote:
                >Came in yesterday's FedEx delivery.

                Dear Mike

                Can you please put the product details including the manufacturer in
                the body of your emails. This makes it much easier to process.

                Thanks
                Andrew, Sir
              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
                  At 10:59 AM 3/12/2006, you wrote:
                  >Question: Will this follow the new report rules?

                  Hi Mike

                  Yes it is a signal report format.

                  Andrew
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2006
                    Enclosed is my Initial Report for the Hydro-Photo SteriPEN
                    Adventurer, the html version can be found at:

                    http://tinyurl.com/tz2ep

                    Thanks,

                    Mike Lipay

                    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

                    SteriPEN Adventurer and Solar Battery Charger
                    by Hydro-Photon

                    Review by Mike Lipay

                    Personal Information
                    Name Mike Lipay
                    Age 51
                    Gender Male
                    Height 5 ft 8 in / 173 cm
                    Weight 185 lbs / 83.9 kg
                    Email hiking AT westernpa DOT us
                    Location Plum, Pennsylvania
                    Background: I've been hiking and backpacking since the '60s. I enjoy
                    hiking solo, with my kids, or with one of the two hiking groups to
                    which I belong. I have taught LNT skills, wilderness survival, and
                    outdoor first-aid. I am no ultra-light backpacker (my pack typically
                    weighs 29-40 lb (13-18 kg) loaded), although I am always looking for
                    ways to cut down on the weight. I'm a low-techie, preferring a hiking
                    staff to trekking poles, compass to GPS, fire to fuel; but I am open
                    to new products when there is a distinct advantage over more
                    traditional "technology".
                    Back to Top

                    Product Description
                    Model SteriPEN Adventurer
                    Manufacturer Hydro-Photon, Inc.
                    Year of Mfg 2006
                    Website www.SteriPen.com
                    MSRP N/A

                    Mfg. Specs
                    Weight: 3.9 oz 110.0 g
                    Length: N/A
                    Width: N/A
                    Thickness: N/A

                    Personal measurements
                    Weight: 3.5 oz 100.0 g
                    Length: 6 3/32 in 15.5 cm
                    Width: 1 5/8 in 4.1 cm
                    Thickness: 15/16 in 2.3 cm

                    Warranty One-year warranty against manufacturer defects.

                    Model SteriPEN Solar Charger
                    Year of Mfg 2006
                    MSRP N/A

                    Mfg. Specs
                    Weight: 6.9 oz 194.0 g
                    Length: 7 in 17.8 cm
                    Width: 3 5/8 in 9.2 cm
                    Thickness: 1 5/8 in 4.1 cm

                    Personal measurements
                    Weight: 6.7 oz 190.0 g
                    Length: 7 1/16 in 18.0 cm
                    Width: 3 11/16 in 9.4 cm
                    Thickness: 1 5/16 in 3.4 cm

                    Warranty No warranty information was provided.

                    Initial Report

                    Arrival
                    The SteriPEN Adventurer wad delivered by Federal Express on December
                    2, 2006. After opening the box (somewhat oversized but securely
                    packed), and examining the contents, I determined that everything
                    arrived in good condition.
                    Warranty

                    I was disappointed with the warranty Hydro-Photon chose to offer on
                    the Adventurer model (See Product Description). Other models in the
                    SteriPEN line come with a lifetime limited warranty.

                    With regards to the Solar Charger, no warranty information is offered
                    in the literature. Instead, I was referred to the SteriPEN website,
                    once on their website I noticed that only the classic SteriPEN
                    warranty information was provided.

                    Instructions
                    I found the instructions for both the SteriPEN Adventurer and the
                    Solar Charger easy to follow, and the many illustrations helped in
                    identifying the location of different items (switches, lights, etc.).
                    Using the step-by-step instructions, I was able to do an initial test
                    of the Adventurer within a few minutes (the batteries came with a
                    partial charge).

                    The instructions are provided in English, German, Spanish, and
                    French, in a folded pamphlet. I found the manual for the charger to
                    be an easy-to-handle size (12 x 18 in; 30.5 x 45.7 cm), but the
                    larger manual for the Adventurer was difficult to handle (15 x 27-1/2
                    in; 38.1 x 69.8 cm). A booklet format would be easier.

                    Website
                    I visited the website mainly because the instructions for the charger
                    indicated that the warranty information was available there. I was
                    disappointed that the website was not only missing the warranty
                    information, but has no information at all on the Adventurer model of
                    the SteriPEN. I would hope that this will be corrected in the near
                    future, especially since there are a number of differences between
                    the Adventurer model I am testing, and the classic model which is
                    shown on the website.

                    First Impressions
                    I was impressed by the small size and weight of the Adventurer, until
                    now I have been using Hydro-Photon's original SteriPEN, which weighs
                    in at 7.7 oz (218 g) - nearly twice as much! The Adventurer also
                    comes in at an 1-1/8 in (2.9 cm) shorter, and half the thickness -- a
                    definite improvement! Of course, the original has a longer operating
                    life between charges, but with 4-AA batteries vs. two CR-123
                    batteries, that is no surprise. Even so, the Adventurer claims to
                    sterilize up to 50-liters (50 quarts) on a single charge, more than
                    enough for even my 5-day treks.

                    One observation that I did make right off is the shape of the base on
                    Adventurer. The SteriPEN needs a pre-filter to keep sediment from
                    entering the drinking bottle, Hydro-Photon makes such a pre-filter
                    which neatly fits the SteriPEN Classic, unfortunately the
                    Adventurer's shape does not fit the pre-filter. To my thinking this
                    is a poor oversight, the pre-filter makes using the SteriPEN easier
                    with wide-mouth drinking bottles.
                    Setup and Usage

                    The SteriPEN Adventurer was already assembled when it arrived, and
                    the batteries had an initial charge. Even so, I removed the
                    batteries, placed them in the Solar Charger (which doubles as a in-
                    the-wall charger), and charged the batteries to full.

                    There are two options when sterilizing: 1/2 qt (500 ml) or 1 qt (1
                    L), I selected the second as my bottle was 22 oz (650 ml). The
                    instructions say to press the switch once then, when the green light
                    comes on, insert the Adventurer into the water and swirl. At this
                    point the UV tube lights up (this is an indicator that everything is
                    working, the sterilization process uses invisible UV light), the
                    instructions then say to swirl the Adventurer until the light goes
                    out, this took a little less than 90 seconds.

                    The SteriPEN Adventurer fits nicely into the Solar Charger for
                    transport and easy recharging of the batteries, it also has space for
                    two addition CR-123 batteries, which can be recharged while the two
                    in the Adventurer are being used. To use the charger requires opening
                    the cover and pointing it towards the sun.

                    I have two concerns regarding the SteriPEN Adventurer as shipped.
                    First, it comes with two rechargeable CR-123 batteries, but no method
                    of recharging them. Looking in local stores, I cannot find any
                    chargers capable of handling CR-123 batteries. The only way to
                    recharge the batteries is to purchase the optional Solar Charger; the
                    Solar Charger comes with two more CR-123 batteries, along with a wall-
                    plug converter to recharge the batteries inside the Solar Charger.

                    Secondly, the lid on the Solar Charger needs to be tilted towards the
                    sun, I had a difficult time getting the lid to stay open in a tilted
                    position, there is not enough friction in the hinges to keep the lid
                    open in all but a few angles.

                    The Solar Charger comes with a pouch for carrying the Adventurer and
                    Solar Charger on a backpack. The loops on the rear of the pouch are
                    to attach the pouch to a backpack so that the batteries can be
                    recharged while hiking. I'm curious as to how I will use the loops to
                    make the attachment, there are no instructions on how to accomplish
                    this.

                    Test Plan
                    My plan for using the SteriPEN Adventurer is to take it with me on
                    day hikes and overnight trips in the Alleghenies; my area of travel
                    ranges from the lower Alleghenies (SW Pennsylvania, aka the Laurel
                    Highlands) into the Allegheny National Forest (Northern
                    Pennsylvania). The area is mountainous, with numerous streams and
                    rivers flowing through. Typically, because of the abundant wildlife,
                    no free-running water here is considered safe to drink.

                    Temperatures during the field test period (mid-December through mid-
                    February, winter in the Alleghenies) usually fall within the range of
                    19 - 43°F (-7 - 6°C), which should put a strain on battery life.
                    Hydro-Photon recommends carrying the SteriPEN in an inner pocket to
                    keep the batteries warm, and I will follow these recommendations.

                    Testing a water treatment system is difficult, since the only two
                    methods of accurately determining effectiveness are laboratory tests
                    and field tests. The problem with the later is that I can only be
                    sure if the sterilization fails, a situation I hope not to encounter
                    over the next few months.

                    This concludes my Initial Report. The Field Report will be amended to
                    this report in approximately two months from the date of this report.
                    Please check back then for further information.

                    I would like to take this opportunity to thank both Hydro-Photon and
                    BackpackGearTest for the chance to test the SteriPEN Adventurer.